Latest MG Cyberster spy shots

I’d be amused as to what car you actually drive and the cars you have driven, you don’t sound very experienced. All EVs weigh more than ICE cars. I guess you see your role on here is to slag off MG, but I think most people on here are ignoring you as they should.
caterham project v pretty much weights the same as a MX -5 and it more of a true sports car then the cyberster but i think the cyberster would make a better daily sports car rather then a weekend toy

Apparently, Mazda have now announced an MX5-EV

You read too much into that. Revised NDs will soldier on until they have to come off the market. There is literaly no competition, and its a tiny market. The ND itself was only possible with sacks of cash from Fiat, and the numbers haven't improved since then. It doesn't sell in big enough numbers to create a bespoke platform. Mazda has shown no inhouse capability to suddenly innovate in EV. They have spent too much money on a new generation of ICE motors that are basically white elephants. In the same way that Ingenium basically destroyed Jaguar, I fear for Mazda's prospects.

Mazda's strategy, if there is one, is to push the MX5 upmarket.

Oh nice, New mazdas have such good build quality. I would be interested in that if they kept the weight down, be nice to have a fast MX-5

Unless the market decides it doesn't mind a stodgy 4 tonne MX5, they won't build a non-light weight MX5. Mazda build quality? I guess you don't know about the rot issues, the exploding gearboxes, grenading engines etc etc.

caterham project v pretty much weights the same as a MX -5 and it more of a true sports car then the cyberster but i think the cyberster would make a better daily sports car rather then a weekend toy

Its vapour ware. The car shown off at Goodwood is little more than a shell. Caterham barely sells 500 cars a year, and is now owned by a Japanese car dealer. Whenever they have tried to build something that wasn't a 60 yar old Seven, its failed. The projected price is laughable, if they expect to be in profit.

I’d be amused as to what car you actually drive and the cars you have driven, you don’t sound very experienced. All EVs weigh more than ICE cars. I guess you see your role on here is to slag off MG, but I think most people on here are ignoring you as they should.

Well, Comeinhandy, that's your option. Obviously you are not "most people". But I am, adding you to Ignore because of that non-constructive comment. Thanks for the reminder about the function.

Ever keen to help you split your sides; been driving 35 years, along the way 5 MX5s, including a handbuilt version, various V8s, a big ol' S6, CRXs and some whitegoods cars. Used to hillclimb and sprint with Nat B licence. Hoping the best for MG, but the technology is currently too immature to allow development of a car that conforms to MG's heritage (the MGB was never a terrific handler, but it wasn't blobby and was priced at the everyman).

The Goodwood runs showed a lot of work is still needed in the chassis. Not a surprise given that any road testing to date has been secretive and confined to China.

You read too much into that. Revised NDs will soldier on until they have to come off the market. There is literaly no competition, and its a tiny market. The ND itself was only possible with sacks of cash from Fiat, and the numbers haven't improved since then. It doesn't sell in big enough numbers to create a bespoke platform. Mazda has shown no inhouse capability to suddenly innovate in EV. They have spent too much money on a new generation of ICE motors that are basically white elephants. In the same way that Ingenium basically destroyed Jaguar, I fear for Mazda's prospects.

Mazda's strategy, if there is one, is to push the MX5 upmarket.
I read nothing into it, which is why I began my post with the word "Apparently".
Maybe you should look that up in a dictionary?

Last edited:
Unless the market decides it doesn't mind a stodgy 4 tonne MX5, they won't build a non-light weight MX5. Mazda build quality? I guess you don't know about the rot issues, the exploding gearboxes, grenading engines etc etc.
There is no such car brand that doesn't have rot issues, Pretty much after 3 years they are rusting away. Cars are built for the lease market

There is no such car brand that doesn't have rot issues, Pretty much after 3 years they are rusting away. Cars are built for the lease market

Mazda has a particular issue if you follow the brand, with premature failure of subframe parts for instance. There are NTHSA investigations ongoing. With 30 years of MX5 experience, I am more than au fait with the weaknesses of the marque in comparison to the competition. The NA MX5s rot around the rear sill due to the electroprimed steel (Mazda patented process) being inadequate due to a designed in moisture trap. NB MX5s have the same issue, but now an additional one (and one that is shared by certain Citroens), where they attempted to engineer in improved front crash performance by using telescoping front chassis legs, which now created a new rust point, leading to serious structural failure risk in the front subframe attachment. The NC MX5 shows general rusting all over, due to apparently poorer quality steel. The current ND model is shipped with zero secodanry anti-corrosion coatings. In comparison, for instance, the MGF had far fewer structural corrosion issues. Most Z3s are still virtually rust free, even on the underside. I don't recall any particular corrosion issues with the aluminium tub of the Elise or its Vauxhall/Opel clone.

Different markets have different dynamics; the Japaneser market is mostly private purchasers. The UK market has unusual element of fleet users and PCPs (95% of new car market). PCPs work by ensuring there is a high resale value at the end of the period, so not exactly built to be disposable cars.

In comparison, about 20% of new cars in the US are leased. MX5s sold in Japan and the US (steering wheel location aside) are the same as those sold in the UK.

The global export trade of used cars is huge; 14 million cars according to the UN, and this trade is sustained by a steady supply of reliable 5-10 year old cars from essentially the global North to the global South.

Cars were much more disposable in the past; the average age of the fleet has not been declining, its been increasing, ie cars are kept in service for much longer than they use to. Old gippers/Boomers/Gammons usually throw out lines that cars are not as well built as their Oxford/Cortina/Victor/Marina/Avenger etc, which is of course sheer nonsense. Cars have never been better than now.

Well do I want one YES only just a couple of things I would need a hoist to get me in and out, ( bet MG don’t supply one)

And I hope that guy mopping the floor isn’t removing any old oil drips L0L
But looks great.
Les
Proportions are decieving. Theres a bit of width. Seems to be more room for seat movement. Since theres already a weight penalty on the car. Proportions can be a bit larger to accommodate taller or bigger people. A bit like my 370. Which is actually shorter and wider than the 350z

Seat seems high. Looks like a thick base. Maybe they can make it height adjustable so tall people can get below the top of the windshield

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom