LKA Lane Keep Assist - is MG Listening?

Has the LKA been annoying accross all their cars since the MG ZS 2020?
Not for me at least. I have both a MG4 where LKA scares the pants off me, and a Mk1 ZS EV. I use the LKA on the ZS outside of town all the time. It is so helpful and helps on long drives so much

Turn it off. Problem gone. It's not difficult.
You shouldn’t have to turn off a vital safety system to stop the car dragging you into dangerous situations this attitude is the reason the problem doesn’t get fixed.just putting up with it by turning it off is not the solution

At the risk of sounding like a skipping record, (I've detailed this in other posts) and granted, I have a late September 23 car, have all of you guys with the problems tried...........

Unlock car.
Get in car.
Do NOT touch anything, or put your foot on the brake pedal.
Don't plug in your phone.
Just wait until your screen goes through it's opening dance and you get your personal greeting. (If you have one?)
It's about 30 seconds in my car.

Everything works as it should and I never have to worry.
It still beeps occasionally, but they are not phantom, they are correct.
I've done 40 miles of mixed driving this morning, single track, fast A and B roads and a bit of Haverfordwest.
I've not had a peep out of it.
I don't doubt folk are having issues, and if you see my other posts so have I!!! but.......
Since I've employed the technique detailed above, the car is working as expected.
I would be really interested to know how you get on. All The Best 👍

Last edited:
I think MG were watching Death Race 2000 when they programmed the LKA on the 4.

sylvester stallone GIF by Fandor

or playing Outrun

outrun video games GIF by Johnny2x4

I'm thinking that there has to be a way to keep adaptive cruise while keeping quiet lane killer. I did originally sticker over the top camera and lane killer went to sleep, but I lost adaptive cruise, so what if a sticker could blank the sides of the camera so the white lines could be hidden while adaptive cruise could work.

I went to Norfolk on a long trip and I hated Lane Killer assist. As a disabled person I seriously could have drove it back to the dealer and requested it get parked so far up their something that I'd never see it again. I don't want to fight the steering constantly. It's a stupid option that should have a permanant switch off option, like the road signs recognise. Sod that too. If the car has these features for an N Cap rating it should also have the options for the driver to select them on or off. Part of me can't wait for the three years to be up so I can get shut of it.

I was looking for an easy fix with the sticker so not to have to switch it off on the display. Just an idea I had.

You shouldn’t have to turn off a vital safety system to stop the car dragging you into dangerous situations this attitude is the reason the problem doesn’t get fixed.just putting up with it by turning it off is not the solution
I'm not putting up with anything, used to turn it off in my last car Hyundai too . It's just not needed, I will steer my car and not be guided by some computer.

See, now that’s the thing. It’s not even a vital safety system, if it was, you would not be able to turn it off. It is only labelled as ‘Driver Assist’. I’m sure somebody at SAIC Motors has looked at this and thought how can we pee off the most people, oh, I know, we’ll launch them toward other road uses, scare the living daylights out of them just for giggles. All this claptrap about NCAP ratings is just a smoke screen as far as I can tell.

See, now that’s the thing. It’s not even a vital safety system, if it was, you would not be able to turn it off. It is only labelled as ‘Driver Assist’. I’m sure somebody at SAIC Motors has looked at this and thought how can we pee off the most people, oh, I know, we’ll launch them toward other road uses, scare the living daylights out of them just for giggles. All this claptrap about NCAP ratings is just a smoke screen as far as I can tell.
They are not safety systems, they are driver assistance systems - that's why they can be turned off. Safety systems cannot be turned off.

NCAP is the reason that almost all new cars NCAP tested since last year default these systems on at every drive.

Now, manufacturers could ignore NCAP but they rarely do as it causes hysterical safety headlines like Renault got when they released a bare-bones Zoe that received 0 stars. It isn't the law to follow NCAP, they are just an advisory body.

SAIC are guilty of two things:
  • Not having LKA working well enough out of the box.
  • Not providing a simpler way to turn it off.

They are not safety systems, they are driver assistance systems - that's why they can be turned off. Safety systems cannot be turned off.

NCAP is the reason that almost all new cars NCAP tested since last year default these systems on at every drive.

Now, manufacturers could ignore NCAP but they rarely do as it causes hysterical safety headlines like Renault got when they released a bare-bones Zoe that received 0 stars. It isn't the law to follow NCAP, they are just an advisory body.

SAIC are guilty of two things:
  • Not having LKA working well enough out of the box.
  • Not providing a simpler way to turn it off.
Quote: 'They are not safety systems, they are driver assistance systems - that's why they can be turned off. Safety systems cannot be turned off'.

I'm pretty convinced that's what I said 🤭

At the moment they are driver assist systems but as we the driving public become "trained" to use them , or stop turning them off , then they will become permanently on systems for the new generation of drivers, but most likely with many legal warnings in the handbook saying the manufacturers will not be liable for any incidents that may occur due to their operation or non-operation. I think there could be a bright future for 16 year olds wishing to take up a position in the legal profession , especially ambulance chasers!

I test drove an Xpower recently. I deliberately crossed the centre line several times without indicating. It did nothing at all, not even alarm sound. The car was off when I got in so it had not just been diasbled. Either it was broked or the setting had been saved.

I'm thinking that there has to be a way to keep adaptive cruise while keeping quiet lane killer. I did originally sticker over the top camera and lane killer went to sleep, but I lost adaptive cruise, so what if a sticker could blank the sides of the camera so the white lines could be hidden while adaptive cruise could work.

I went to Norfolk on a long trip and I hated Lane Killer assist. As a disabled person I seriously could have drove it back to the dealer and requested it get parked so far up their something that I'd never see it again. I don't want to fight the steering constantly. It's a stupid option that should have a permanant switch off option, like the road signs recognise. Sod that too. If the car has these features for an N Cap rating it should also have the options for the driver to select them on or off. Part of me can't wait for the three years to be up so I can get shut of it.
Jesus now I’m back to looking at a Picanto I just can’t cope 😂

If it’s that bad surely Motability will let you change it mate

I'm not putting up with anything, used to turn it off in my last car Hyundai too . It's just not needed, I will steer my car and not be guided by some computer.
Such a shame it just doesn’t have an On and Off Button like Kia Niro 😞 such a wee thing and would please so many . @MG you reading this?

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 544 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back