Locked in my MG4 & unable to escape - Serious Safety Issue

Like I say I can’t fault dealership at all nor mg they have been proactive and I was very surprised when dvsa said they have reported it to them as a concern.I have been asked questions how it happened different scenarios etc I think it will be a software update to the car but that’s a guess to the solution but they are working on it which is good
Very good I agree. If I had this kind of information earlier, I'd have been more than content to just wait patiently.

Sometimes being quiet doesn't help their cause, I know they have to balance their messaging out in the open so as not to lose market share or put off prospective new clients but it doesn't really help already loyal customers.

I think they should have just let all dealers know to advise customers of such an action being undertaken to rectify but hey ho. Sometimes those decisions are hard to make as once the tide starts to go against you, it's very hard to gain back lost ground.

I would recommend everyone with an MG4 on order please contact your dealer to ask about this issue, saying that you’ve heard about multiple cases and you are very concerned. Please ask your dealer to investigate with MG if they are not aware of it.

This will help raise the pressure. It might already be escalated to the highest levels but in case not then this may help.

Unfortunately this was a fault to far for me, I wasn't willing to take the chance with what is a major safety issue, I cancelled my order because of it.

Unfortunately this was a fault to far for me, I wasn't willing to take the chance with what is a major safety issue, I cancelled my order because of it.
Totally understand that decision but I'm kind of the opposite weirdly enough. I'm meant to be picking up my Trophy in the next week or so and I think something like this key fault will absolutely get sorted - its too serious for MG not to figure out the cause and implement a fix.

It's the other stuff that I think will get me down - like the seemingly constant glitches people are having, emergency warnings at random and odd software issues. I can see them grinding me down over time as none individually is enough to make me return the car (or kick MG to resolve) but each one will just irritate me a little more and take the enjoyment out of owning it.

This is not only my first new car but its the first car of any type I've ever bought as I only learnt to drive recently so I don't want it to be a soul sapping experience constantly dealing with niggles.

I'm wondering if perhaps I should cancel and go for something safer and more tested initially until things settle down.

Plenty to ponder....

I'm sure like me it was an agonising decision. Like others we had both looked forward to MG4 ownership. Maybe later, when the car is no longer going into prison mode.

I made the decision on that buying a new car should be a positive experience, and possibly in the long run the 4 could be, but in the short term I decided that a car that was potentially going to spend as much time at the dealers as on the road, to begin with, was a hassle that I shouldn't have or expect to have with a £32k investment.
I owned my Arteon for 4 years and had nothing but a positive experience with it.
I get that the 4 is a brand new ground up car but some of the faults just seem so avoidable with the appropriate amount of testing and inspection being carried out.
The car was obviously on the road in China before here, there had to be issues there also. Surely they would be flagged up to the factory.

The car was obviously on the road in China before here, there had to be issues there also. Surely they would be flagged up to the factory.

The summary answer is that it was only launched in China in September, and that SAIC sell in small numbers due to a poor reputation for quality. :unsure:
Even if the issues have been flagged up to the factory there remains the issue that cars being delivered now in the UK predate that launch. The other point rarely made is the cultural characteristic of the Chinese in business to not acknowledge faults or errors publicly but to appear to ignore them. They are very proud and prefer not to acknowledge the issue but instead work very hard behind the scenes to rectify it. To Western standards this appears uncaring - they actually care very deeply but don't show it in the same way particularly as the current touchy feely woke Western culture.

I respect everyone’s decision to do what is right for them.

Just consider that on a forum like this every problem is going to feel magnified and worse because people without problems just don’t post as much.

I am going to trust that this will be resolved quickly just as the oil leak issue was and we are sticking with our order.

Could she reach over is my question?
In the event of this happening, would the remote door function on the
MG I-smart work?
I have to say, love my mg4 but this is troubling, its great to have all the tech but seriously thinking of going back to something much more basic for peace of mind.
an oil leak is one thing but being locked in is definitely something else!

Last edited:
Lespresso, as per further up the thread. MG are on the case and treating it urgently

Latest so far

Key -no
Key in sweet spot - no
Spare key - no
App - no
Interior handles- no
Transit mode - no
Open windows - no
Bluetooth - probably a no but not seen confirmation yet
Bonnet opening - not in its own right

Escape through boot - yes
Physical key in exterior emergency lock - yes
Move from drivers seat and try fob (didn't work in at least one case)
(Try with car in park and the hand brake on, bonnet fully open Maybe locked the car first before unlocking it)
Disconnect/reconnect 12v battery - unconfirmed

In the event of this happening, would the remote door function on the
MG I-smart work?
I have to say, love my mg4 but this is troubling, its great to have all the tech but seriously thinking of going back to something much more basic for peace of mind.
an oil leak is one thing but being locked in is definitely something else!
I tried unlocking the doors using the digital key when I was locked in. All that did was display an unhelpful error message in the app. (The entire error message was “Fail.”)
The doors remained locked.

Post away then please. Interested to see the wording of the DVLA
Sorry if I’m a bit behind here Alan been on holiday, but I have yet to see this posting of an official letter headed response from MG or The DVSA, the DVLA will not get involved with safety issues or vehicle faults other than to supply names and address of owners if there is to be a recall issued I know thats a fact from taking MG motors to the DVSA over the roof rail issue on the early MG5 estate.
You for Mars6324 to post the document he said he has but I can’t see it.
Les

Update for everyone car still in garage mg have responded and are taking this serious they have downloaded fault files and looking into it.also they have reported it to the dvsa and dvla I have also had a response from them stating mg are working on the solution and will respond back asap in regards to the issue.
Can you post what you have received in written response please

I have been passed your case to consider which has the above reference number.

With regard to the issue you have been experiencing. The manufacturer had already informed DVSA of the concern, and we are now working together to reach an acceptable solution.

Once a solution has been reached, you will be provided with the necessary details for remedy.

Dealership had my car since last Monday they say the issue is a software issue with the control unit they are working on said software and have installed this I believe on Friday.I am awaiting further updates from dealer as to what they have done/when I will get my vehicle back.I was told there will be a recall for this issue in future if this software/fix works

Dealership had my car since last Monday they say the issue is a software issue with the control unit they are working on said software and have installed this I believe on Friday.I am awaiting further updates from dealer as to what they have done/when I will get my vehicle back.I was told there will be a recall for this issue in future if this software/fix works
Thank you for letting us know what’s going on in regards to this serious issue. Let’s hope this is a permanent fix for everyone’s car.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 509 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back