MG ZS EV Long Range - Rapid Charging Test - 76kW Peak?

I don't have any previous MG experience but would be interested to know what the MG experience has been like. The new model has solved many niggles it would seem and there were some updates that improved things for the previous version. So seems they do listen to feedback. How likely is it that MG would add a battery temperature gauge in a future update? The connect version has so much potential but only if it's allowed to develop. Have MG just passed the buck to Amazon to provide what I regard as a few unenticing tidbits or will MG open up the connect option with more useful updates?
Well, they DID listen with many things on MOD1, like the 'bongs', the outside temp gauge, the unlock horn! milage gauge permanently visible....... and many more

So for battery health mode you keep the car between 40-80% soc. How does that compare to other EV's? I was of the opinion that 20-80% was the ideal..

So for battery health mode you keep the car between 40-80% soc. How does that compare to other EV's? I was of the opinion that 20-80% was the ideal..
Lithium-ion batteries don't like being fully discharged ever or fully charged often. The BMS controls how much you can put into and take out of a battery (pack). Most EVs let you set a top fill limit. The Mod 1 ZS is one of the very few EVs that don't. However, as I understand it, the BMS won't actually let you fill the battery.... ever and conversely will never let you actually flatten the pack either. You often see things like "battery size 47Kwh (44Kwh usable)" the 3 kwh extra is the buffer you can't touch.

Thanks Miles and Jake so helpful to have the charge curve and description of your experience. Presumably selecting the battery heater is and option but is that something a driver alone (without a front passenger/co-pilot) could easily select and switch on while driving?

Explaining this feature is going to be an interesting challenge I can foresee for dealers during sale/handover to newbies moving from ICE cars. The multiple options to charge baffles my co-pilot along with the majority of ICE drivers who have asked me about EVs.

I would have been interesting to know what the charge rate and curve would been had you got onto a capable 350 kW Rapid. With the 400 volt battery in the MG I guess the Rapid Charger would have only supported up to 150 kW in any case, so the limiting factor would have only been the car not the charger's capability.

I'd say so. Unless anyone has proof to the contrary. Although the new 51kWh ZS EV could perhaps get that charge rate, if it uses the same pack as the MG5, as the voltage is higher. Will need to test when it arrives next year!
Does anyone on the forum have a ZS EV SR 51.1kwh in order to be able to answer Miles's question about max charging speed? It would swing my decision of SR over LR if I could charge faster on the odd long journeys I do over 200 miles.

Thanks.
Tim

Does anyone on the forum have a ZS EV SR 51.1kwh in order to be able to answer Miles's question about max charging speed? It would swing my decision of SR over LR if I could charge faster on the odd long journeys I do over 200 miles.

Thanks.
Tim
Anyone had experience of rapid charging the new ZS EV SR 51.1Kwh version and could share whether there are any differences with the charging max speed or charge curve profile?
We are collecting our new SR Trophy in a few weeks and I'm keen to know how rapid charging has improved from our 1st Gen ZS.
Thanks.
Tim

Very interesting reading the comments on the different Battery characteristics of the SR and LR new ZS EV models.... It would appear that the shorter range battery is better for continual charging to 100%. It begs the question as to why MG didn't use the same battery on the LR model albeit with the extra battery capacity... Am i missing something, or is it down purely to cost...
Many thanks to all the regular contributors for your useful tips.
Ordered Trophy Connect LR Red mid May for delivery September, Quoted 4months ( I suspect September 2023)

It begs the question as to why MG didn't use the same battery on the LR model albeit with the extra battery capacity... Am i missing something,...
What you are missing is that it won't fit. LFP has a lower volumetric energy density than NCM. So the SR and LR batteries fit in the same space.

My LR ZS EV Trophy Connect charging at a 160kW BP Pulse charger…

7A6E29AB-89F2-446C-93B8-09C4F2D9915E.jpeg

Very interesting reading the comments on the different Battery characteristics of the SR and LR new ZS EV models.... It would appear that the shorter range battery is better for continual charging to 100%. It begs the question as to why MG didn't use the same battery on the LR model albeit with the extra battery capacity... Am i missing something, or is it down purely to cost...
Many thanks to all the regular contributors for your useful tips.
Ordered Trophy Connect LR Red mid May for delivery September, Quoted 4months ( I suspect September 2023)
There are a number of technical and ethical benefits f LEP chemistry but the Li-ion still has the advantage that it has a higher energy density than LEP and unless the development of Li-ion stops it is likely to always be the case. That said LEP density has improved in only the last couple of years and the 50 or so kWh wouldn't have been possible in the form-factor of the ZS only a couple of years ago.

LEP is going to be the predominant tech in Tesla going forward and they seem to lead the way, but yes they are cheaper as they don't use Nickel or Colbolt for which there are political and ethical concerns not to mention scarcity. Also, LEP has a lower fire risk and can be in a car treated like an ICE car's fuel tank ie when it gets low you fill it to the brim thereby requiring less to learn for the driver transferring from ICE to EV. The owner can plug in each evening at home and know they'll have max range available every morning.

LEP chemistry
It's LFP: Lithium Ferrous Phosphate, sometimes called Lithium Iron or LiFePO₄. It's a type of lithium ion battery. You can see why they switched to "ferrous" in the name; lithium iron sounds too much like lithium ion.

The LR and Mark 1 models use NMC (lithium Nickel Manganese Cobalt oxide) cells, which are also a type of lithium ion cell.

So the term "lithium ion" doesn't distinguish between the LR and SR chemistries.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom