MG4 - Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) and MG Pilot

TJA is dangerous trash at this point, I thought Lcas on my classic ionic was bad. But it was just weak and couldent really get round any sort of bend.

TJA on the mg4 is a death trap. I would not recommend. It keeps pulling the car towards a white line or other traffic, can’t handle lane splits etc and requires a firm jerk to get the car back in lane.

Traffic aware cruse is reliable. Do not let a £50 Chinese android tablet steer for you.

Hopefully this will improve with software updates. Personally I think this needs disabling across the fleet.

I’m loving the mg4 for its driving and build generally but the software is next level junk.

Currently driving with TJA on and the constant dash reminders about attention, speed limits it can’t read and just jeneral popups and buggyness. I’m amazed to have not crashed.

Imagine being on the waltzer at a fair with flashing lights and being jerked all over the road.

Mg. Fix the bloody software or turn all this stuff off before you kill some one.
i got my MG4 at the end of September and was so alarmed by the performance of TJA, ACC and other (probably software related) issues I took it back to the dealer who having run a diagnostic, informed me “numerous faults” had been flagged. They had the car a week then gave it me back stating they had done numerous software/firmware updates and all the faults had been addressed.
Not so. The car was exactly the same as when I gave it them and still trying to kill me when TJA or ACC was engaged.
I once again returned it to the dealer and have now been waiting a further three weeks for a resolution. He says he’s waiting for info from MG technical dept. I have a courtesy car but that’s not the point.
I wonder has anyone actually had these issues fixed?
Three months on from release seems an awful long time to sort out a few software bugs.

I was looking forward to ordering an MG4 when they come to Australia next year but unless they sort out these LKA, TJA and ACC issues that many seem to be having it is now a deal breaker for me.
I like these functions and enjoy the ACC and LKA and warning on my current 2017 ICE SUV and have never had an issue with safety or abnormality in operation and you can easily turn them on and off at will and the settings are retained at restarts.
This sort of technology has been around for some time so surely it is not rocket science to get it all working correctly in an EV?
Now considering a BYD Dolphin in this price bracket which does not seem to have issues unless something drastic happens to change my mind about the MG4.

Last edited:
i got my MG4 at the end of September and was so alarmed by the performance of TJA, ACC and other (probably software related) issues I took it back to the dealer who having run a diagnostic, informed me “numerous faults” had been flagged. They had the car a week then gave it me back stating they had done numerous software/firmware updates and all the faults had been addressed.
Not so. The car was exactly the same as when I gave it them and still trying to kill me when TJA or ACC was engaged.
I once again returned it to the dealer and have now been waiting a further three weeks for a resolution. He says he’s waiting for info from MG technical dept. I have a courtesy car but that’s not the point.
Three months on from release seems an awful long time to sort out a few software bugs.
I don't believe ACC was trying to "kill" you - ACC has no effect on steering at all. I suspect you're referring to Lane Keep Assist which defaults to On (for most people).

In my case LKA is irritating but not overly intrusive ... TJA on the other hand .........

If it’s any consolation my MG ZS also as attempted to kill me on several occasions- apparently being steered into oncoming traffic is safer than getting too close to a kerb.

In another incident, a car on my left overshot a junction slightly, so I steered slightly to the right to avoid it. It then jerked the steering strongly back towards the car that overshot, unaware of its presence, but obviously very aware that I was too close to a white line. At this point I was basically fighting the car for full control of the steering. Crazy.

And that’s the problem with these assist based systems that don’t have full awareness of the situation, they are just using radar in a very simplistic way. You can’t have a safety system based on partial awareness; it’s dangerous.

I don't believe ACC was trying to "kill" you - ACC has no effect on steering at all. I suspect you're referring to Lane Keep Assist which defaults to On (for most people).

In my case LKA is irritating but not overly intrusive ... TJA on the other hand .........
Yes I should have specified LKA as the main culprit regarding attempted murder. For me it’s a little more than irritating as I find it’s sudden and over aggressive implementation scary and even maybe panic inducing for some when it’s either trying to steer me into oncoming traffic when approaching parked vehicles or pushing me into these parked vehicles when detecting oncoming traffic.
In retrospect, I should relegate ACC/TJA to “irritating” for its tendency to randomly slam the bakes on for what seems no apparent reason but my point is, these things ARE happening and they shouldn’t be. And, given the amount of time since the MG4’s release and the severity of the implications, all these issues should have been acknowledged and addressed as a matter of urgency well before now.
I have a strong suspicion after reading the posts that maybe resolutions to some of these issues do exist and the source of my frustration could possibly lie with procrastination or reluctance on behalf of the dealership I bought my car from to press MG tech.

I have a strong suspicion after reading the posts that maybe resolutions to some of these issues do exist and the source of my frustration could possibly lie with procrastination or reluctance on behalf of the dealership I bought my car from to press MG tech.
I'm not sure I agree.

These type of limited 'assist' systems will always be constrained with the information they have.

This isn't a traditional "fault" that can be fixed.

I think MG could probably make some revisions to the software to make it less intrusive, but I wouldn't expect any miracles and changes will likely be a long time coming if they come at all. MG are not Tesla and they aren't iterating software versions rapidly.

This was a box checking exercise, as it is with many other companies to achieve the NCAP rating - if you don't have these systems you can't get to the 5 star rating anymore. It's a dangerous incentive though, and the end result seems to be systems that are at best annoying (Hyundai/Kia) and at worst IMO dangerous (MG).

Something needs to change, and I think NCAP needs to do something as well.

To be fair(ish) to MG … my daughter in law recently complained about her new BMW X1 trying to steer for her with a ‘Lane assist’ type function active - which I’ve now disabled. It may well be that many of these computer automated functions on many brands are simply not good enough - but ‘necessary’ to get better NCAP safety ratings !!

I've found ACC to be mostly fine, only it drives like a nervous learner.
It's too jerky on the regen breaking when it nudges over speed by 1mph, it can't seem to feather the breaks properly, and it's very cautious and jerky when going round corners.
I also wish it put it's foot down when you use the indicator and pull out when approaching a slower vehicle. I'm constantly moving into an overtaking position only for it to take about 5 seconds to speed up again. I'm sure the golf I used to drive started to accelerate back to set speed when you used the indicator. It's a signal to other cars, but also to your own car that you've acknowledged the situation and are reacting accordingly, so carry the fudge on!

As such I tend to use the speed limit mode, but despise going through the touchscreen to turn it on, using the touchscreen whilst driving is an absolute hazard. It takes me about 5 prods with a finger for a touch to register. I'd love to switch between ACC and Speed limiter on one of the star buttons.

I think that the car doesn't stick in speed limit mode but will stick in ACC, between restarts. If I leave it in ACC it stays, if I'm in speed limiter mode then the car will start with everything off and the steering wheel button won't activate anything.

Certainly more of a pain in the arse than it should be at the moment.

It's too jerky on the regen breaking when it nudges over speed by 1mph, it can't seem to feather the breaks properly, and it's very cautious and jerky when going round corners.
I also wish it put it's foot down when you use the indicator and pull out when approaching a slower vehicle. I'm constantly moving into an overtaking position only for it to take about 5 seconds to speed up again. I'm sure the golf I used to drive started to accelerate back to set speed when you used the indicator. It's a signal to other cars, but also to your own car that you've acknowledged the situation and are reacting accordingly, so carry the fudge on!

As such I tend to use the speed limit mode, but despise going through the touchscreen to turn it on, using the touchscreen whilst driving is an absolute hazard. It takes me about 5 prods with a finger for a touch to register. I'd love to switch between ACC and Speed limiter on one of the star buttons.

I think that the car doesn't stick in speed limit mode but will stick in ACC, between restarts. If I leave it in ACC it stays, if I'm in speed limiter mode then the car will start with everything off and the steering wheel button won't activate anything.

My ACC was terrible when I first got the car. Constantly slamming on the brakes for oncoming traffic (on other side of road, to clarify). I had an update at dealer in November last year and it was much better. It is a bit of a scaredy cat on corners as you say. I have found that I now use the throttle as required as well, it doesnt cancel the ACC so I give it a "helping foot" if it is being too cautious. The difference I noticed on the last update was immense, so I am hoping that there may be further improvements to ACC as and when we get updates

May I ask if ACC distance from car in front can be set in seconds not metres? (Only a fool breaks the two second rule!)
I believe the 3 settings correspond to distance rather than time. Even on the furthest distance I still feel a little too close, but I do tend to leave a much bigger gap than almost everybody else. I think at 65-70mph I got to "second".

Don't know about the 4 but the ZS Gen1 and 5, if LKA is turned off in the infotainment it stays off.
So does the MG4
Les

Please correct me if I’m wrong here but this is the MG4 hints and tips forum but the video on page 1 at #1 is showing the MG5 is it not,
the controls for the 4 are completely different surely this belongs in the MG5 thread does it not.
Apologies if I’m wrong.
Les

No please no what was the updated software about was it the locking in the car one
Les
Ours now has the 13th December update, not too sure what it fixed however the dealer installed it when sorting out a problem we had with ours. The update for the locking also includes it so when yours goes in for the recall it will have LKA which re-enables every time.

Please correct me if I’m wrong here but this is the MG4 hints and tips forum but the video on page 1 at #1 is showing the MG5 is it not,
the controls for the 4 are completely different surely this belongs in the MG5 thread does it not.
Apologies if I’m wrong.
Les
Les, in context it is an MG4 owner asking if this is true of an MG4

Alan

TJA is dangerous trash at this point, I thought Lcas on my classic ionic was bad. But it was just weak and couldent really get round any sort of bend.

TJA on the mg4 is a death trap. I would not recommend. It keeps pulling the car towards a white line or other traffic, can’t handle lane splits etc and requires a firm jerk to get the car back in lane.

Traffic aware cruse is reliable. Do not let a £50 Chinese android tablet steer for you.

Hopefully this will improve with software updates. Personally I think this needs disabling across the fleet.

I’m loving the mg4 for its driving and build generally but the software is next level junk.

Currently driving with TJA on and the constant dash reminders about attention, speed limits it can’t read and just jeneral popups and buggyness. I’m amazed to have not crashed.

Imagine being on the waltzer at a fair with flashing lights and being jerked all over the road.

Mg. Fix the bloody software or turn all this stuff off before you kill some one.
Spot on here chap, it's too aggressive!!
Spot on here Shaun, the lane assist reaction is too aggressive for comfort, makes me twitchy!!

The lane 'assist' is totally freaky and bugs the hell out of me and my wife. It is especially confused by single track roads. We weren't made aware of it during the buying process and it never happened during the test drive (was it turned off?). We have to turn it off in the settings every time we get in the car which is a total pain. Extraordinary that it can't be disabled permanently when it is so dangerous. I've been driving for 40 years but this is the worst 'innovation' I've come across.

ACC is mentioned in the manual as not working well on corners and this is true on other cars as well since the radar is looking straight ahead. It is meant for motorways. It is also fairly common I believe to have to accelerate manually for a second or two when overtaking in a good time.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 533 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back