JimmyTwotimes

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Hey everyone

Saw a vid on YouTube on battery balancing for the MG4 so wondered how important it is.

I've never done it nor was I advised by the dealer to do it (had the car about 4 months from new). Did a search on here but only found info related to the ZS.

So:
  1. Should I do it for my MG4 Trophy?
  2. How often?
  3. I use intelligent octopus Go and a Zappi charger. The charging will stop when it hits whatever percentage I've set it for, so how do I force the charge to keep going past the set amount for charge, to achieve the balancing?
Any info appreciated or links to a thread if one already exists.

Thank you.

At least at 90%, the system does balancing for sure.

Attachments

• MG4_Balancing_s.jpg
    MG4_Balancing_s.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 82
I wish it could do the balancing/equalization charge at set battery levels but unfortunately it can only be done on full charge according to the manual.

I am attaching the related page of the manual.
weblink of the manual https://www.mg.co.uk/sites/default/files/2022-09/MG4_EV_Owner_Manual.pdfView attachment 22589
Apparently the information on the user manual is not correct. I have managed to start battery balancing at 80% State of Charge. I have started the AC charging session at 73% SoC at a public AC charging station, set the charging limit at 80%. I have left the car, and returned to back to the car at the estimated time of charge completion stated on the screen.

Unlocked the car, sat on driver's seat, screen turned on and stated charging complete. Without touching anything, waited for a little bit then battery balancing message showed up, after 9 minutes charging complete message showed up again.

64 kWh / 150 kW variant, marketed as Luxury version over here, Mk2 I am assuming due to rear wiper and 18" wheels, software is 1300R40

Attachments

• IMG_2347.jpg
    IMG_2347.jpg
    295.2 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_2348.jpg
    IMG_2348.jpg
    248.6 KB · Views: 42
Apparently the information on the user manual is not correct. I have managed to start battery balancing at 80% State of Charge. I have started the AC charging session at 73% SoC at a public AC charging station, set the charging limit at 80%. I have left the car, and returned to back to the car at the estimated time of charge completion stated on the screen.

Unlocked the car, sat on driver's seat, screen turned on and stated charging complete. Without touching anything, waited for a little bit then battery balancing message showed up, after 9 minutes charging complete message showed up again.

64 kWh / 150 kW variant, marketed as Luxury version over here, Mk2 I am assuming due to rear wiper and 18" wheels, software is 1300R40
The BMS can balance the cells at 80% (or another set percentage), but it still needs a 100% charge to calibrate the charge curve, so many people balance at 100% to kill two birds with one stone.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 505 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back