MG4 Mats Availability

View attachment 12492
Executive carpet mats. Unfortunately the clips don’t line up. I have emailed carmats.co.uk
Awesome! We shipped nearly all the pre-orders today 🙌

We've found so far that MG don't always put the clips in the footwell in exactly the same spot.

There is some movement in clips in our mats as the clip is smaller than the hole so can be adjusted.

If the clips are a long way out, then the clips in the footwell can be unscrewed and screwed back into the right place.

Look forward to the feedback 🙏

Just in case it helps. At first I thought the orientation of the clips in the MG4 was out by 90 degrees compared to the Carmats mats. But putting a pair of longnose pliers into the mat hole they do rotate fairly easily. The drivers mat is very snug on the cill side but I'm very happy with the standard mats at £23 with postage, you almost don't notice them = good.

Attachments

• PXL_20221103_135140026.jpg
    PXL_20221103_135140026.jpg
    679 KB · Views: 97
  • PXL_20221103_135145240.jpg
    PXL_20221103_135145240.jpg
    564 KB · Views: 105
  • PXL_20221104_115435113.jpg
    PXL_20221104_115435113.jpg
    656.1 KB · Views: 117
  • PXL_20221106_122943520.jpg
    PXL_20221106_122943520.jpg
    651.8 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:
Just realised you were after pics of the rubber ones which someone has posted. Might be useful for someone to see anyway
Yeah good to see all examples as in time I'll likely get some properly fitting carpet mats too. Cheers

Overfilled gearboxes, misaligned undertray bolts, poorly finished off door welds and now badly aligned carpet fixings - have all MG4s been thrown together on a Friday afternoon?
It sounds bad, but remember you are on a forum of early adopters and hearing all the teething troubles. These have all turned out to be minor issues so far. The door welds might be just be a one off.

It is a similar story with most new car launches.

I think we are actually doing pretty well except for the terrible communication issues.

Has anybody managed to unscrew the clips? Mine just turn indefinitely they don’t seem to lift so I’m not sure I’ll be able to get them unscrewed without lifting the carpet which would be awkward.

I’m inclined to say it’s the mats that are misaligned not the car based on my photos.

Has anybody managed to unscrew the clips? Mine just turn indefinitely they don’t seem to lift so I’m not sure I’ll be able to get them unscrewed without lifting the carpet which would be awkward.

I’m inclined to say it’s the mats that are misaligned not the car based on my photos.
Try putting a flat blade (kitchen knife, wide flat bladed screwdriver) between the carpet and the flange of the clip and twisting slightly to lift the assembly a little way from the carpet while unscrewing the clip.
The theory is if the clips look like the ones in post #111 the threaded section finishes just below the head so it can spin without coming undone and by putting the flat blade between the two it re-engages the thread allowing it to unscrew.

Andy how do yours compare to the photos I posted earlier?

Alan
7386 - driver door plastic to clip
7387 - driver side clip to seat base
7391 - passenger side clip to seat base
7392 - centre tunnel to passenger side clip

Attachments

• IMG_7386.jpeg
    IMG_7386.jpeg
    841.5 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_7387.jpeg
    IMG_7387.jpeg
    818.5 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_7391.jpeg
    IMG_7391.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 62
  • IMG_7392.jpeg
    IMG_7392.jpeg
    817.1 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_7393.jpeg
    IMG_7393.jpeg
    503.8 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_7394.jpeg
    IMG_7394.jpeg
    467.8 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_7395.jpeg
    IMG_7395.jpeg
    237.6 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_7396.jpeg
    IMG_7396.jpeg
    352.5 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_7398.jpeg
    IMG_7398.jpeg
    682 KB · Views: 71
It's a 'fault' with MG not putting them in exactly the same place every time! You can unscrew the carpet clips and reposition them to fit the mats.
Seems the same problem as the undertray, quite a few variables with the car

Andy, pretty much the same dimensions to be honest. I don't have the car to try them in so 🤷‍♂️. I will sit back and watch if others have the same drivers mat dimensions and if possible they move the floor clips appropriately. I assume all other mats fit just fine, just the drivers one doesn't align?

Alan

Andy, pretty much the same dimensions to be honest. I don't have the car to try them in so 🤷‍♂️. I will sit back and watch if others have the same drivers mat dimensions and if possible they move the floor clips appropriately. I assume all other mats fit just fine, just the drivers one doesn't align?

Alan
Yes the mats fit great and are good quality. It’s just the clip locations. I’m happy to move the clips on the car if it’s straightforward but they just spin and I don’t want to force them.

Andy, is it the top part of the floor clips that is just rotating or the bottom part. The bottom part needs a flat headed screwdriver under it to apply pressure under it whilst you unscrew it (not shown in the video, based on experience) See this video which shows a whole clip from VW. I have to assume ours are the same? See repair and replace gti floor mat clips

Last edited:
Update: the clips on the car aren’t movable.

6DE17B55-1FD1-4725-80C3-2DB41D367B5D.jpeg

They have a sort of “popper” design and won’t go back in once removed. Looks I’m going to need to get some replacement screw in clips now to align with the mats. The mat alignment is at fault imo but if the clips won’t pop back in I’ll need to get new clips :( either way something is going to need to be replaced.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 532 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back