MG4 Range

Didn't you need the cabin heater on every so often to deal with misting up?
If the journey was any longer I would have. Having just the fans blowing at the windscreen helped but it wasn't enough to stop them fogging completely. I got home just before it got too bad.

I hope nobody regularly drives like this.

My recent range in my SE SR using Normal mode has been ~120 miles with -6C temperatures and using cabin heating prior to driving.

After collecting my daughter from the airport last night (~65 miles round trip, driven in ECO mode, no cabin preheating with +4C temperature) I returned home with 54% battery and 82 miles on the GOM. This equates to ~150 miles range. That's more like what I was hoping for in winter. :)

yet another interesting video from this chap I have seen nothing like the figures he as seen from my wife’s mg4 SR.i have also included this screen shot from the video with a chart in the video also interesting.
Les.

3D2E5707-DE2F-4F01-AF4F-7476EE0B7B54.jpeg

My commute to work this morning, in the siginificantly higher temperature got me 4.3m/KWh, and only a 2% drop in battery over a 4 mile journey. Over 60KWh, that's 250 miles of range. So even with these slightly better temps the range is significantly improved.

We did our first longer trip in our Trophy to Wales at the weekend. As we have only done short trips up to now and have no idea what consumption would be like, I was being rather conservative by setting ACC to 60 mph once we got on the M4. The temperature was about 3 degrees. We stopped to charge on the way so that we'd have a reasonable amount for the return journey the next day. This was what we had at the stop :
IMG_20221217_150849.jpg

We did our first longer trip in our Trophy to Wales at the weekend. As we have only done short trips up to now and have no idea what consumption would be like, I was being rather conservative by setting ACC to 60 mph once we got on the M4. The temperature was about 3 degrees. We stopped to charge on the way so that we'd have a reasonable amount for the return journey the next day. This was what we had at the stop :
View attachment 13862
What’s the warning triangle for?

I got the 280 miles from mg.co.uk where it states (optimistically)
Range applies to All-New MG4 EV SE Long Range with the 64kWh battery from a single charge on the WLTP combined cycle: Combined Range 281 miles (450 km): City Range: 360 miles (579 km); Combined Driving Efficiency: 3.8 miles/kWh (16.0 kWh/I00km)
I note that my Trophy is heavier than the SE and so will do less miles per kWh but my main point was to compare MG4 with MG5. Where I was getting 4 miles/kWh in the MG5 I now get 3 with the MG4. MG4 is 64kWh battery, MG5 is 53kWh, both cars are about the same weight. I had hoped my 300 mile motorway journeys would only require one charge in the MG4, not the three charges I'm experiencing, so I would rather keep the MG5.
Also, and this is slightly off topic, I don't believe the 360 miles City Range :LOL: In stop/start city driving, getting 1.6 tonnes from a standing start takes huge amounts of energy and I typically get 2 mls/kWh.
if the regen efficiency is decent (maybe around 75-80%?) then, provided you're 'braking' i smostly regen and little disc friction, most of the energy used is in overcoming aerodynamic drag. Yeah the tyres drag a bit, esp if underpressured, but it's in the aero's. Now the MG4 (collect ours Wednesday, hopefully) has a sleek look, you might think. But stand at the back quarter and what do you see? A couple of square metres of what's known as 'bluff' rear-end. Square backsides eat energy. So why might the 5 be better, given it also has a decent arse? Stand to one side of each car, maybe 5 metres away: both cars look a bit 'tear-drop'-shaped, huh? Here's where it matters: the (car) length:height ratio is vitally important to the achieved body (car!) drag coefficient. For the same/similar height, the longer car will have a lower drag coefficient. A reasonable optimum is ~4:1; Lower (i.e. shorter car at same height) L:h ratios will have a higher drag coefficient. That's why suv boxes are so shit for fuel consumption. And white vans...

I'm finding it is that whats it says when you get in in the morning (in recent days I've had 117 miles / day @ 100% charge), but in early oct I had 170 miles / day @ 100% charge) - as we use our MG4 only locally (with currently cheap home charging), its all as expected!

if the regen efficiency is decent (maybe around 75-80%?) then, provided you're 'braking' i smostly regen and little disc friction, most of the energy used is in overcoming aerodynamic drag. Yeah the tyres drag a bit, esp if underpressured, but it's in the aero's. Now the MG4 (collect ours Wednesday, hopefully) has a sleek look, you might think. But stand at the back quarter and what do you see? A couple of square metres of what's known as 'bluff' rear-end. Square backsides eat energy. So why might the 5 be better, given it also has a decent ar$e? Stand to one side of each car, maybe 5 metres away: both cars look a bit 'tear-drop'-shaped, huh? Here's where it matters: the (car) length:height ratio is vitally important to the achieved body (car!) drag coefficient. For the same/similar height, the longer car will have a lower drag coefficient. A reasonable optimum is ~4:1; Lower (i.e. shorter car at same height) L:h ratios will have a higher drag coefficient. That's why suv boxes are so sh!t for fuel consumption. And white vans...
I had until very recently both a 53 kw (48 usable) MG5 and a MG4 SE SR 51Kw (50 usable ) and drove them both on the very same types of journey on the the same roads which appears better on range ? Up to now without a doubt the MG5 everytime i used the E1 setting in the 5 and the 4 is set to Eco high as in low braking regen is all but Zero.
Wifes car and she loves it we just hope the figures improve as it gets warmer and we do longer journeys otherwise it’s gone, We cant afford to be have to stop and charge on a rapid charger at 50p and upwards more than I need too.
Les

The range has been my biggest disappointment. 281 miles quoted and I can only just get 180 out of it when sitting in a cold cabin in ECO mode and strong regen. That's before you consider that you wouldn't run it particularly close to zero on motorway driving because you'd risk getting caught short. It'll make my Christmas drive home interesting. I suppose a 2 year old and newborn will mean I need to stop anyway, but thought a Trophy would easily do 160 miles in one go.

It may well be that I've only really driven the thing in cold weather, but even when it was milder I was only getting about 80 miles for 40%+

This chart for cold weather seems to be round about what I'm seeing, much lower than I see several on here talk about:
MG4.PNG

The range has been my biggest disappointment. 281 miles quoted and I can only just get 180 out of it when sitting in a cold cabin in ECO mode and strong regen. That's before you consider that you wouldn't run it particularly close to zero on motorway driving because you'd risk getting caught short. It'll make my Christmas drive home interesting. I suppose a 2 year old and newborn will mean I need to stop anyway, but thought a Trophy would easily do 160 miles in one go.

It may well be that I've only really driven the thing in cold weather, but even when it was milder I was only getting about 80 miles for 40%+

This chart for cold weather seems to be round about what I'm seeing, much lower than I see several on here talk about:
View attachment 13881
I was easily getting 3.7m/kWh from my Trophy back in October and November before the weather got cold, so should be able to do than that or even better in Spring onwards. The Winter range hit was probably a little more than I expected, but I never really thought I'd get the claimed 270 miles very often even in good conditions.

I always drive in NORMAL with regen on 3, climate on 23 degrees or more, fan on AUTO. It's an EV but I want to drive it like I would with any ICE car without trying to squeeze every bit I can from the economy.

View attachment 13881

When I first saw this chart a few months ago, and I read "cold weather: worst case scenario based on -10 degrees", I thought "well I can ignore that, it never gets that low in England". Little did I know!!

I’m not sure how anyone is getting less than 3 m/kwh, we collected our trophy today (we’ve had a ZS for the past 12 months so are already familiar with driving EVs slightly differently to a petrol/diesel) and got 3.9m/kwh on the 80 mile motorway journey back from the dealer and still have 170 showing so a theoretical range of 250 miles in this weather (ok it’s milder than last week‘a sub zero temps).

Sub zero can have a massive impact on range. 3.9 is very good. Were you doing 70 mph all the way?

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 543 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back