• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

MG4 Range

Does the MG5 Trophy have active shutters like the MG4 LR has? And is it using the same battery technology (NMC) as the MG4 LR?

Interesting - the MG5 Trophy also does 15 miles less that the MG5 SE on WLTP. The useable capacity on MG4 and 5 is the same - around 61 kWh
What they are saying is it’s the bigger wheels on the trophy tag hat reduces the range and Siteguru the 5 does not have the sutters fitted

I don’t know but it can’t be that much difference surely. Ayoull
Looking online the drag coefficients (Cd) are:

MG4 SE SR 0.300
MG4 SE LR 0.270
MG4 Trophy 0.285

MG5 preface lift 0.320
MG5 facelift 0.305

So there is a decent difference between an MG4 SE LR and a MG5

Looking online the drag coefficients (Cd) are:

MG4 SE SR 0.300
MG4 SE LR 0.270
MG4 Trophy 0.285

MG5 preface lift 0.320
MG5 facelift 0.305

So there is a decent difference between an MG4 SE LR and a MG5
Hmm, so the shutters do make a significant difference, I now know what my next project will be.

I think these cars will really shine in the warmer weather. I did a 40 mile round trip today, mix of mostly 60mph A roads and a couple of slower sections through villages, entirely typical of my daily driving.
Noticed when switching off at my destination the trip showing 3.6 m kWh, I had been using heating as it was 7 degrees.
The person I was visiting had their house like a furnace so I used no heating on the way home, still amazed to see exactly 5m kWh recorded for the 20 mile home leg.

I really thought it would be mid summer before we saw an A road 5m kWh figure, definitely not late January !

Hmm, so the shutters do make a significant difference, I now know what my next project will be.

I think these cars will really shine in the warmer weather. I did a 40 mile round trip today, mix of mostly 60mph A roads and a couple of slower sections through villages, entirely typical of my daily driving.
Noticed when switching off at my destination the trip showing 3.6 m kWh, I had been using heating as it was 7 degrees.
The person I was visiting had their house like a furnace so I used no heating on the way home, still amazed to see exactly 5m kWh recorded for the 20 mile home leg.

I really thought it would be mid summer before we saw an A road 5m kWh figure, definitely not late January !
I expect that was largely down to how you drive. Keeping speed down and maintaining momentum makes a huge difference - which is why people who use hard acceleration, high top speed and heavy braking cannot get great range.

People are free to drive how they like, I am not condemning anyone, just pointing out that driving style makes a big difference.

I expect that was largely down to how you drive. Keeping speed down and maintaining momentum makes a huge difference - which is why people who use hard acceleration, high top speed and heavy braking cannot get great range.

People are free to drive how they like, I am not condemning anyone, just pointing out that driving style makes a big difference.
Oh absolutely. I do tend to stick to posted speed limits or lower, and speed is definitely the biggest factor. The occasional full 'throttle' squirt doesn't do too much harm I've noticed.
If the cd actually will drop from 0.30 to 0.27 on an SE standard, it's definitely worth blocking the air intakes at this time of year though.
Even after a long run there's practically zero heat in any of the hoses or rads serving the 2 coolant loops.
Worst that will happen is a fan will spool up if you starve it of too much air and you can adjust your bodge modification accordingly ;)

just pointing out that driving style makes a big difference.
They had the heating off also though, hence the big difference on the return leg. I drive my car with no thought to the efficiency, it‘s not what is important to me. At the moment, I get 3.2 to 3.5 on my 25 mile commute. Without heating I’d have much better but that’s not happening in my car until it’s MUCH warmer 😬

Did a 62 mile round trip today, 6 degrees but wrapped up well to see what no heating over the entire journey would do for consumption.🥶
The traffic was flowing faster so spent more time around 60mph, reset the 'from start' numbers at the half way point.
3.8 miles kWh for the outbound 31 miles and 4.3 for the return 31 miles :unsure:
Like I say, no heating on either leg and no wind or elevation difference so the large discrepancy must be the battery warming through and lowering it's internal resistance.
Surprised it's so pronounced, although LFP is known for this tendency I guess.

Does explain some of the dismal figures people are getting doing short trips with a freezing battery and 25 degree cabin.

Did a 62 mile round trip today, 6 degrees but wrapped up well to see what no heating over the entire journey would do for consumption.🥶
The traffic was flowing faster so spent more time around 60mph, reset the 'from start' numbers at the half way point.
3.8 miles kWh for the outbound 31 miles and 4.3 for the return 31 miles :unsure:
Like I say, no heating on either leg and no wind or elevation difference so the large discrepancy must be the battery warming through and lowering it's internal resistance.

Does explain some of the dismal figures people are getting doing short trips with a freezing battery and 25 degree cabin.
Those consumption figures sound pretty good in temperatures of six degrees. Saying that, I’d have had the heating on. 😅 It’ll be interesting to see the average consumption figures as we enter Spring. I should be able to contribute my own findings by then.

Downhill on the way back? :unsure:

Must be the active shutters which help with the Cd.
sg; given the shutter's role is principally to improve the nose area cd (i still wonder about the 'contribution' of the front wheel 'brake disc vents'...) while giving the NMC battery a good coolant flow, it's even more surprising that the sesr's, with their LiFePo batteries, haven't had the shutters fitted without the actuator - the LFP units are - in this country, at least - much less likely to need the 'extra' cooling that a dose of ram-air provides for the NMC.
Ayoull's helpfully posted some cd figures - i didn't find much independent stuff, but mg's claim of "...improving aero perf by up to 30%..." seems a bit outlandish to me - so the shutters-closed cd is iro 0.27, but shutters open is (up to) 0.35 ??! Well, if that's so, then saic need to get a grip and shutter all cars, unless of course they use reverse logic and deliberately trash the range of the lfp cars so as not to close the range gap between them and the nmc's (?) Further, i'm sure the lfp units would like a bit of shelter from the elements in sub-zero air, so this omission seems most likely to be entirely the result of the beancounters pricing strategy, not engineering optimisation.
SNAFU.
atb - ttp

Having active and non active shutters across the range is nothing new. I have a 10 year old Ford Focus Titanium X which has active shutters but the base models have fixed vents.
Base models are built so the manufacturers can create a headline low "from" price with no extras.

sg; given the shutter's role is principally to improve the nose area cd (i still wonder about the 'contribution' of the front wheel 'brake disc vents'...) while giving the NMC battery a good coolant flow, it's even more surprising that the sesr's, with their LiFePo batteries, haven't had the shutters fitted without the actuator - the LFP units are - in this country, at least - much less likely to need the 'extra' cooling that a dose of ram-air provides for the NMC.
Ayoull's helpfully posted some cd figures - i didn't find much independent stuff, but mg's claim of "...improving aero perf by up to 30%..." seems a bit outlandish to me - so the shutters-closed cd is iro 0.27, but shutters open is (up to) 0.35 ??! Well, if that's so, then saic need to get a grip and shutter all cars, unless of course they use reverse logic and deliberately trash the range of the lfp cars so as not to close the range gap between them and the nmc's (?) Further, i'm sure the lfp units would like a bit of shelter from the elements in sub-zero air, so this omission seems most likely to be entirely the result of the beancounters pricing strategy, not engineering optimisation.
SNAFU.
atb - ttp
Active shutter is .27 on the SE LR and 0.30 on SE SR so they improve drag coefficient by 10% this would give the SE SR a range of around 239mi if they were fitted with them.

As stated by @Ian Key it'll be remove "extra" or "special" features to get that come take a look pricing before upselling the more advanced tech and cars.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 423 79.8%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 70 13.2%
  • No

Votes: 37 7.0%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back