MG4 Reduction Gearbox Oil Leak

It doesn't want to go away, maybe as site guru has said the answer is to put the 150ml less than the book says in.

Well siteguru sounds like your dealer is very good which is nice to hear, and many thanks for the up date about your visit there today, but I’m still not convinced this is the right thing to be doing i:e reducing oil levels I’m not saying it won’t work it may but could also be at a cost long term.
I wrote some time ago in this thread that when these components where design they would have done a very accurate assessment as to how much oil was needed to lubricate the gearbox which was 900ml according to the handbook so I don’t hold with this way of stopping the oil leak. This is my view anyhow.
Les.

Thats a flawed logic because you can argue "guaranteed zero leakage" by not putting any oil in it at all.:unsure:
It's the point I was making, the book specifically states 900mls but they are putting under in it in a bid to cure it

Did they not decide the book was wrong once they realised they had leaks? That would have been more like "them".
I agree, I think they are trying to get around a poor design by reducing the amount of oil and fitting a breather extension pipe which can hold a small amount of oil before it eventually reaches the breather. There is only one real solution but that requires a re design.

Did they not decide the book was wrong once they realised they had leaks? That would have been more like "them".
I'm tired of the conspiracy theories.

I presume they didn't realise until people started getting leaks and that prompted the check.

But if you want to believe they are evil plotters deliberately adjusting oil levels to hide a problem then carry right on.

I agree, I think they are trying to get around a poor design by reducing the amount of oil and fitting a breather extension pipe which can hold a small amount of oil before it eventually reaches the breather. There is only one real solution but that requires a re design.
Even if that is true a redesign will take a long time for such a component so quite reasonable to fix in other ways in the meantime.

Remember, this wasn't MG's fault but one of their suppliers.

Even if that is true a redesign will take a long time for such a component so quite reasonable to fix in other ways in the meantime.

Remember, this wasn't MG's fault but one of their suppliers.
Yes it will be some time before a redesign would make it's way through. As far as whose fault it is , we are buying cars from MG so it is their responsibility to correct any issues regardless of who supplied them .

I'm a little late to "the party" but have recently experienced issues with my 2 month old EV4. I had the motor fault red light and the car stopped. It's been taken in by MG Assistance (whole debacle around courtesy cars etc) and I was told yesterday that my rear diff is leaking, not much oil in there and the oil they did manage to see/extract was "black and contained swarf". They're waiting to be instructed by MG Technical apparently. I've had to battle all week to get any information and my courtesy car extended. Not happy is an understatement!

I'm a little late to "the party" but have recently experienced issues with my 2 month old EV4. I had the motor fault red light and the car stopped. It's been taken in by MG Assistance (whole debacle around courtesy cars etc) and I was told yesterday that my rear diff is leaking, not much oil in there and the oil they did manage to see/extract was "black and contained swarf". They're waiting to be instructed by MG Technical apparently. I've had to battle all week to get any information and my courtesy car extended. Not happy is an understatement!
Sorry to hear this but unfortunately not surprised. Out of interest, did you have any inkling you had an oil leak, anything visible on the driveway for example?

Yup, I contacted MG direct. Mr Gary Smart, literally could not care less. I shared the response I got from him somewhere but can’t justify expending the energy looking for it.
Interesting. I emailed him last night. He's asked for further details so far....we shall see.....

Sorry to hear this but unfortunately not surprised. Out of interest, did you have any inkling you had an oil leak, anything visible on the driveway for example?
Nope, none. It's hard to tell however because our drive is part gravel!

Yikes. No weird noises noticed from the rear end in the last few weeks ?
Nope, nothing. All ran smoothly. I was very happy...until now

"They all do that sir."
Hah!
Yup, I contacted MG direct. Mr Gary Smart, literally could not care less. I shared the response I got from him somewhere but can’t justify expending the energy looking for it.
Oooh, I see what you mean. He's a bit lukewarm/disinterested isn't he? Think it's time to light a fire under him. Spent too many hours this week bouncing between the dealer, mg assist, AA etc. Plus he's now saying the technical report contains no mention of black oil or swarf....you mean the one I have a copy of that says clearly "little oil, the oil remaining is black and contains swarf"? That report? Given to your customer yesterday? Can't mean that one can you Gary?

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 493 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back