MG4 Reduction Gearbox Oil Leak

I'm a little late to "the party" but have recently experienced issues with my 2 month old EV4. I had the motor fault red light and the car stopped. It's been taken in by MG Assistance (whole debacle around courtesy cars etc) and I was told yesterday that my rear diff is leaking, not much oil in there and the oil they did manage to see/extract was "black and contained swarf". They're waiting to be instructed by MG Technical apparently. I've had to battle all week to get any information and my courtesy car extended. Not happy is an understatement!
Have you report it via the DVSA vehicle fault system?

As it would be classed a a dangerous defect if the car stopped suddenly.

Shell E-Fluids E6 iX (SL2808) is the recommended transmission fluid. I believe it is made out of hens teeth as trying to find some online is not showing any available. Would you draining and changing the fluid be a possible warranty issue in the wrong dealers hands I wonder...so mum's the word then or put it back in just before a dealer visit....

Very interesting, I managed to borrow a thermal image camera from a work colleauge over this weekend (not for the car), but for around the home, but did earlier just stick it under the car, from the rear when i got home (20 miles on A roads), this is just a picture of the camera on the back of the camera, as havn't had time to get the image off the thermal camera, & calibrate it etc., but the tyres and the motor are giving off a small amount of heat - more once I've had a better play!

IMG_4708 (1).jpeg

Macadoodle well done you have done a great job there couple of question for you
1 has the level been adjusted at any time by your dealer?
2 have you had a modified breather fitted and if so has it fixed the leak.
No, standard breather and factory fill, unless they fiddled with the levels at the dealership.
Still leaked for a little while when new before stopping, which prompted me to see how much was left in there :oops:

Shell E-Fluids E6 iX (SL2808) is the recommended transmission fluid. I believe it is made out of hens teeth as trying to find some online is not showing any available. Would you draining and changing the fluid be a possible warranty issue in the wrong dealers hands I wonder...so mum's the word then or put it back in just before a dealer visit....
Doubt they'll be able to tell, the stuff I put in looked similar, minus the brown tint, it's a full synthetic too.
Not sure how critical the exact oil is, I think Tesla use Dexron ATF for example. We're not dealing with locomotive torque levels with the 4.

Hi Macadoodle
So according to your 2nd answer you have had the new modified breather fitted is that correct?

It STILL leak when new before stopping so by that you mean the new breather still leaked when new is that correct ?

When was that new breather fitted and how many miles had you done before it was fitted ? and what’s your mileage now.
Les

Hi Macadoodle
So according to your 2nd answer you have had the new modified breather fitted is that correct?

It STILL leak when new before stopping so by that you mean the new breather still leaked when new is that correct ?

When was that new breather fitted and how many miles had you done before it was fitted ? and what’s your mileage now.
Les
We need @fracturedrainbow and anyone else who has suffered a breakdown from the gearbox being low in oil to report it to the DVSA to force MG to do something properly it would seem.

As @fracturedrainbow said if they'd been on the motorway and the car just stopped it could have been an extremely different scenario

We have said for weeks what are the potential long term issues if the gearbox continues to leak,
I totally agree with Les this a couple of weeks short of 5 months this issue has been going on and not resolved, MG look like they couldn't care less.
Dealers are getting hung out to dry plus some of them couldn't care less either.

I am sure the usual digs will follow this post but this issue is indefensible, a botched together bit of hose is not the long term solution.

You can slag off other manufacturers to deflect from MG's shortcomings but I can honestly say in all my years of owning cars I have never contacted VW, Renault, nissan, Mazda, Kia, ford, BMW I could go on, and been told "speak to your dealer as we just sold them the car"

As well as the motoring ombudsman an owner should contact the motoring press and tell them to read this forum.

A quick look through this forum and there are now over 15 repeating issues with this car.

Some minor, some dangerous, a lot of software and some hardware, tyres handles footrests, seats, undertrays, corroded discs
All of them a pain in the arse that requires time.
I now await the usual why are you here Renault's are shit comments.

I think I have a counter ready to Renaults are shit comments

Last edited:
Hi Macadoodle

Les
No Les, the new breather has not been fitted to the car, sorry should have been clearer. Was given a vague promise that it would be looked into if it leaked, but it was just an overfill issue blah, blah. Standard stuff from MG. 1600 miles now.
For the size of them, these transmissions sure shed A LOT of bedding in material. The fairly large magnet was coated tip to toe in metal silt, the same material that darkened the oil I presume.

As I put a little more oil in than came out it's probably going to start leaking again and I'll probably book a dealer visit then.
Glad to get the metallic soup it was running in at least partially cleaned out though :oops:

As well as the motoring ombudsman an owner should contact the motoring press and tell them to read this forum
With apologies to each and every Sun reader. I have a contact at The Sun (which I wouldn’t read if I was having a poo and there was literally nothing else available) who wanted to run a story in the early days. I declined to get involved, because The Sun. As time goes by and MG show their utter indifference to this issue which is not going away and will get worse I am becoming tempted to ring them. They will portray it as an EV only issue because The Sun, but at least it might shame MG into a better approach.

On this subject of car 'Just Stopping,' has it been confirmed that the gearbox oil condition is directly connected to the car Stopping? i.e has the gearbox motor seized? Or are people assuming the connection?

With apologies to each and every Sun reader. I have a contact at The Sun (which I wouldn’t read if I was having a poo and there was literally nothing else available) who wanted to run a story in the early days. I declined to get involved, because The Sun. As time goes by and MG show their utter indifference to this issue which is not going away and will get worse I am becoming tempted to ring them. They will portray it as an EV only issue because The Sun, but at least it might shame MG into a better approach.
Agree with the comments about The Sun, also that is the risk re the anti EV brigade. Any negative EV story will become all EVs not just the poorly manufactured and backed up ones

On this subject of car 'Just Stopping,' has it been confirmed that the gearbox oil condition is directly connected to the car Stopping? i.e has the gearbox motor seized? Or are people assuming the connection?
That's what I was wondering, I would expect a lot of rough noises if a reduction box ran out of oil.
The motor I think is independent of the gearbox, with sealed bearings ? Can't believe MG would have gone for an oil cooled and lubed motor with an oil pump, too expensive.

Could also devalue everyone's car overnight. I'd say very last resort.

Have you report it via the DVSA vehicle fault system?

As it would be classed a a dangerous defect if the car stopped suddenly.

I haven't. I was still hoping mg would actually do something..you know, keep me informed and offer customer service...quite naive of me
I was looking at reporting this last night. I think that's the only real option.

Agree with the comments about The Sun, also that is the risk re the anti EV brigade. Any negative EV story will become all EVs not just the poorly manufactured and backed up ones
Well, more and more cars failing and having to be recovered might do more damage in the long run. As soon as the motoring press smells the rat a devaluation process might start anyway.

I still can't believe MG's attitude.

Some might be aware that the wheels were falling off of early Toyota bz4xs. Toyota called them all back immediately, offering to buy them back at once without usage charge. Those who wanted to keep the car got a free loaner, compensation of expenses and 5000 free miles to charge. All done proactively with no one having to chase their dealer.

Of course this is a more serious issue, but that's how you handle a fault and rectify it.

Last edited:

This video shows the oil leaking into the tray. Some who do not have an oil leak might just not drive enough for adequate amounts to be pushed outside the tray. After watching this I can only recommend to everyone to remove the tray and have a look.

We know this issue is happening in Europe, would be interesting to hear about dealers/MG's response in other countries.

I wonder if the it's just an over fill BS was tried there

We know this issue is happening in Europe, would be interesting to hear about dealers/MG's response in other countries.

Not in my case, the modified breather was ordered (took a while) and fitted. I have to say, I have a very good dealership.

Unfortunately the salespeople at dealerships believe what they are told by MG , why shouldn't they ? They are told it's an overfill problem so that's what they say. Hopefully as time goes on they will start to find out the truth. My salesman told me it was an overfill issue so I said then why is there a modified breather available? He could not answer. When I picked up the car he told me the new breather was already fitted. I will check this today or tomorrow when I get chance to have a proper look. They really are a bit clueless when it comes to issues, they have to put a positive spin on it. I prefer the truth even if it's not what I want to hear. My dealer so far has been good so fingers crossed they will look after me if I need it. Will let you know if I have the breather mod , which I doubt , and also if any sign of the leak.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 493 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back