MG4 Reduction Gearbox Oil Leak

I'm a little late to "the party" but have recently experienced issues with my 2 month old EV4. I had the motor fault red light and the car stopped. It's been taken in by MG Assistance (whole debacle around courtesy cars etc) and I was told yesterday that my rear diff is leaking, not much oil in there and the oil they did manage to see/extract was "black and contained swarf". They're waiting to be instructed by MG Technical apparently. I've had to battle all week to get any information and my courtesy car extended. Not happy is an understatement!
Hi I am reading again this above and you say the car stopped with a red light on for motor fault.
So as this is a first for me can I ask a couple of questions.
Now I shall assume up until this the car had been fine, so my question is had you seen any oil on you driveway, and did you know of any leaks before you was told the rear diff is leaking by your dealer when the car was taken to them by the AA with the motor fault.

Personally I think the two items are unrelated as the red light is indicating an electrical fault so the motor stopped, the oil leak should in no way bring a vehicle to a standstill without a lot of destruction noises coming out of it beforehand and it could very probably run for a while totally empty before them noises got bad enough to seize the gearbox up and stop the car so I think yours is a motor fault and is electrical the way you describe it, still not good and I hope not serious.

You see I was also told my gearbox had an oil leak when I took the car in for the safety recall 3 weeks ago I’m still waiting, but I have never seen an signs of any leaks on the floor or under the car but my dealer says it leaking.

I’m sure there are lots more MG4 running around with leaks unseen and unreported by owners who are not reading these forums both this and others. I have been on this forum for a fair while now have had a 5 and when my wife got the 4 I was well aware of this issue and was looking at it day in day out but I have still seen any leaks but dealer says I have got a leak, I have still not seen anything and the car drives fine.

So that being said it appears that as cars go back to dealers for other problems recalls or servicing, that they are checking for this leak issue, but it is not being done as it should be and the fix they have to date is not Guaranteed to work.
Les

Hi I am reading again this above and you say the car stopped with a red light on for motor fault.
So as this is a first for me can I ask a couple of questions.
Now I shall assume up until this the car had been fine, so my question is had you seen any oil on you driveway, and did you know of any leaks before you was told the rear diff is leaking by your dealer when the car was taken to them by the AA with the motor fault.

Personally I think the two items are unrelated as the red light is indicating an electrical fault so the motor stopped, the oil leak should in no way bring a vehicle to a standstill without a lot of destruction noises coming out of it beforehand and it could very probably run for a while totally empty before them noises got bad enough to seize the gearbox up and stop the car so I think yours is a motor fault and is electrical the way you describe it, still not good and I hope not serious.

You see I was also told my gearbox had an oil leak when I took the car in for the safety recall 3 weeks ago I’m still waiting, but I have never seen an signs of any leaks on the floor or under the car but my dealer says it leaking.

I’m sure there are lots more MG4 running around with leaks unseen and unreported by owners who are not reading these forums both this and others. I have been on this forum for a fair while now have had a 5 and when my wife got the 4 I was well aware of this issue and was looking at it day in day out but I have still seen any leaks but dealer says I have got a leak, I have still not seen anything and the car drives fine.

So that being said it appears that as cars go back to dealers for other problems recalls or servicing, that they are checking for this leak issue, but it is not being done as it should be and the fix they have to date is not Guaranteed to work.
Les
No indication at all of a leak. Our drive is part gravel but, even so, part is hard standing
Tbh car drove beautifully before, no indication at all. The only thing I can think of was a slight loss of power in acceleration earlier in the day but as the battery was getting low, I attributed it to that.
No sounds, nothing. Completely out of the blue.
MG customer service is a joke but what I will say is the technicians in the dealer seem good. You do have to go in person because you can never get hold of anyone via phone. The tech I spoke to seems fed up with the customer service issue himself and said they don't often get the messages to call as calls are routed to a call centre in the north. He also said the rear diff needs to come off and thorough examination... totally at odds with what MG customer service "head" Gary Smart is feeding me. I have more faith in the tech than the desk jockey.

We need @fracturedrainbow and anyone else who has suffered a breakdown from the gearbox being low in oil to report it to the DVSA to force MG to do something properly it would seem.

As @fracturedrainbow said if they'd been on the motorway and the car just stopped it could have been an extremely different scenario
DVSA report has gone in. Motor Ombudsman is next. It's only been a week but the customer service levels are lower than subpar. I did 10 years in automotive around training and customer service. It's a literal joke. I will defend the service staff at ground level at the dealer, they seem caught in this web of ineptitude in the infrastructure.

I think we need a bit of a reality check on this thread. Yes there is an issue but the car has a long warranty and MG are not going to just wash their hands of literally tens of thousands of cars - if indeed this is very widespread issue.
It’s an oil leak at the end of the day. It shouldn’t be there. It will get sorted and a recall done if required.

I think we need a bit of a reality check on this thread. Yes there is an issue but the car has a long warranty and MG are not going to just wash their hands of literally tens of thousands of cars - if indeed this is very widespread issue.
It’s an oil leak at the end of the day. It shouldn’t be there. It will get sorted and a recall done if required.
Except it's possibly not. My issue had the potential to be incredibly dangerous yet is being lumped in as an oil leak despite the technicians saying otherwise. Also, a warranty is only as good as its customer service. People would be less disgruntled if that was transparent and efficient. You tell people nothing and ignore their legitimate issues then they will fill in the gaps. I also don't expect a 2 month old car to be back on a ramp.

On this subject of car 'Just Stopping,' has it been confirmed that the gearbox oil condition is directly connected to the car Stopping? i.e has the gearbox motor seized? Or are people assuming the connection?
MG are assuming the connection. Customer Service head is saying it's just a leak that requires the rebreather. Garage techs are saying otherwise.

Except it's possibly not. My issue had the potential to be incredibly dangerous yet is being lumped in as an oil leak despite the technicians saying otherwise. Also, a warranty is only as good as its customer service. People would be less disgruntled if that was transparent and efficient. You tell people nothing and ignore their legitimate issues then they will fill in the gaps. I also don't expect a 2 month old car to be back on a ramp.
Let’s see if they prove them to be linked. My money is on not.

The reality check here is that MG UK customer service is inept, uninterested, crap, take your pick.
The warranty is 7 years but things drop of it as the car gets older, most apart from battery, motor and 1 or 2 others are done by 3 years, the problem here is that if MG and dealers are ignoring or debating issues after a month or 2 what are they going to be like in a year or 2

No indication at all of a leak. Our drive is part gravel but, even so, part is hard standing
Tbh car drove beautifully before, no indication at all. The only thing I can think of was a slight loss of power in acceleration earlier in the day but as the battery was getting low, I attributed it to that.
No sounds, nothing. Completely out of the blue.
MG customer service is a joke but what I will say is the technicians in the dealer seem good. You do have to go in person because you can never get hold of anyone via phone. The tech I spoke to seems fed up with the customer service issue himself and said they don't often get the messages to call as calls are routed to a call centre in the north. He also said the rear diff needs to come off and thorough examination... totally at odds with what MG customer service "head" Gary Smart is feeding me. I have more faith in the tech than the desk jockey.
Thank you for your reply as I thought like ours no signs of any leaks I wonder how many others there are not reported here you said in your next post you have sent a report to the DVSA as Ayoull had pointed out earlier I agree with him it would be very dangerous thing to happen in under different conditions but as far as I know no one else has seen this red light motor fault I could well be wrong so the DVSA will log it I’m sure if they will take any auction remains to be seen.

With regards to the ombudsman I have already file a complaint with them see my post #2270 yesterday but it would do no arm for others to lodge a complaint to them they will very probably come back to say everyone should write to MG in the first place before approaching them but I have/will point out to them to look at this thread to see what MG response has been to people have contacted them direct as for journalists and newspapers not yet we need to go through the channels first in my book.
Les.

The reality check here is that MG UK customer service is inept, uninterested, crap, take your pick.
The warranty is 7 years but things drop of it as the car gets older, most apart from battery, motor and 1 or 2 others are done by 3 years, the problem here is that if MG and dealers are ignoring or debating issues after a month or 2 what are they going to be like in a year or 2
You’ve cancelled your order. Why do you care any more ?

You’ve cancelled your order. Why do you care any more ?
@Leni16 has been constructively critical of the car and MGs response issues, the fact he has cancelled his order is neither here nor there.

He has said before that the MG4 has the potential to be a great car if MG just start listening to the issues rather than setting the deck chairs up while the ships steers towards an oil leak shaped iceberg

Rea
@Leni16 has been constructively critical of the car and MGs response issues, the fact he has cancelled his order is neither here nor there.

He has said before that the MG4 has the potential to be a great car if MG just start listening to the issues rather than setting the deck chairs up while the ships steers towards an oil leak shaped iceberg
Reading his posts (just today) it’s been a massive whinge-fest.

The reason I flag this is because maybe, just maybe, someone has decided to buy an MG4, finds this thread and the happiness / joy they had is p*ssed on like an old bag of chips.

The reason is I joined this forum when I ordered my car. I got chatting to loads of good people all in a similar situation to me, I have seen some experience crap car, crap service, numerous issues. I have seen some be quite fortunate and only get one or two and some cases none, I'm genuinely happy for those members with good cars.

I also know members who have been waiting 4 or 5 months and still haven't got their cars, I have everything crossed that they get a good one.

You are right I probably shouldn't care. There has certainly been a good few members of late suggest I and others go elsewhere,
But I don't need an MG4 to know and comment on shit service and customer care and it just keeps repeating itself.

The brand and this car is experiencing quality issues, there are too many variances in cars to say they aren't. As I've said some cars with none, some with a couple some with loads. It's not new car teething issues, it's quality control plain and simple.

If there are people on here actually willing to defend MG's customer care then I'd love to hear it, some dealers yes, there are several heartening stories of dealers going above and beyond and doing their best for people. They unfortunately also appear to be in the minority.

There will now be the usual my car is great replies, as I've said I am happy for those members but even those members must see that there are major quality and service issues and have some sympathy with what other members are experiencing. Just because people have an ok car should not lead to them belittling faults and experiences other members have.

Going back to your original point Ive cancelled why do I care, similarly for members with good/ok cars why do they care? and feel the need to have a pop and down play issues that others are going through.
Im sure they wouldn't be so minor if it was there car that had them all.

Rea

Reading his posts (just today) it’s been a massive whinge-fest.

The reason I flag this is because maybe, just maybe, someone has decided to buy an MG4, finds this thread and the happiness / joy they had is p*ssed on like an old bag of chips.
A whingefest get a grip I have agreed and commented on other members problems and again crap MG service. None of the chats were started by me.

The only thing pissing on people's joy will be the car itself or MG if and when it goes wrong

A whingefest get a grip I have agreed and commented on other members problems and again crap MG service. None of the chats were started by me.

The only thing pissing on people's joy will be the car itself or MG if and when it goes wrong

Read back today’s posts - all negative. Every last one.

I honestly don’t care if you want to hang around on this forum - I don’t own it or moderate it. I find it weird that you want to (I left both the Merc and Ioniq5 ones I used as soon as I sold / cancelled) but for the sake of others who do want to use this site to get good info on their upcoming / new car, let’s try not to be a negative Nelly all the bloody time.

Furthermore, from the experiences with both some MG dealerships and MG themselves reported in this forum I am not getting the impression, that future warranty claims will be handled very well.

Last edited:
Read back today’s posts - all negative. Every last one.

I honestly don’t care if you want to hang around on this forum - I don’t own it or moderate it. I find it weird that you want to (I left both the Merc and Ioniq5 ones I used as soon as I sold / cancelled) but for the sake of others who do want to use this site to get good info on their upcoming / new car, let’s try not to be a negative Nelly all the bloody time.
I'm glad you don't care seeing as how it's nothing really to do with you.
Also I'm bored saying why I'm still here.
Again for the sake of others who come to get good info then you will need more than me to stop posting.
And the only reason you wont find negative Nelly's as you put them on here is if MG sort themselves out.

It's good you're now 100% behind your MG purchase you got that way by coming on here and looking for reassurance from the forum I think you will find I also said to go with the MG4 purchase. But obviously coming from a negative nelly whinger that advice is also tainted.

Last time I am saying this I praise the car when it deserves it, I am critical when it deserves it and I will answer direct questions in threads when someone asks them, as did with you when you asked

This video shows the oil leaking into the tray. Some who do not have an oil leak might just not drive enough for adequate amounts to be pushed outside the tray. After watching this I can only recommend to everyone to remove the tray and have a look.

The positives from this video are that the undertray looked not too bad and the oil which was seen on the bottom of the gearbox casing looked a nice colour not black as some have been reporting.👍

the other strange thing is after watching this a couple of times is the breather and the area around it look clean and dry and I wished he had taken the tray off altogether by to have a better look
Les

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 493 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel