MG4 Reduction Gearbox Oil Leak

Just been into dealer for them to look over an autohold fault, they've been spot on in all fairness, they checked the breather even though didn't ask and said the breather kit fitted is leaking slightly and there is an adapted one by MG which they'll have to order in to replace the first modified breather.

But in all fairness even though the faults are annoying my after purchase experience has been good so far other than arguing my car needed an undertray 😂

Just been into dealer for them to look over an autohold fault, they've been spot on in all fairness, they checked the breather even though didn't ask and said the breather kit fitted is leaking slightly and there is an adapted one by MG which they'll have to order in to replace the first modified breather.

But in all fairness even though the faults are annoying my after purchase experience has been good so far other than arguing my car needed an undertray 😂
Maybe they need to copy Nissan, the leaf has a megahose extending from it's breather.
With these gearboxes relying on splash to lubricate the cogs and bearings, you do want oil to be flung all over the place I guess. It's inevitably going to find weak points though :oops:

Maybe they need to copy Nissan, the leaf has a megahose extending from it's breather.
With these gearboxes relying on splash to lubricate the cogs and bearings, you do want oil to be flung all over the place I guess. It's inevitably going to find weak points though :oops:

I've got a photo of the MK3 breather here
Ghostbusters+Ecto+1~2.png

I've got a photo of the MK3 breather hereView attachment 15161
That's probably where they'll end up. Cant believe breather MK2 hasn't done the trick and MK3 is in the pipeline already !
Good god, how was that tiny stub of a thing the car came with signed off as functional ? It clearly never was and never would be.

MG. just invest in a yard of hose like Nissan had to and pop the breather on the end of that and be done with it !!!!

For those of you familiar with bikes, I've noticed that a standard quick release M10 hollow back axel shaft has an identical diameter and thread pitch to the breather.
Seriously thinking about cutting one of these down to a couple of inches, putting that in the breather hole with a lock nut to secure, then snugging a decent amount of hose over that.

The original breather can then be pushed firmly into the other end of said hose, and cable tied up above the gearbox somewhere.
That type of solution worked for Nissan, my leaf never lost a drop :)

I worry that peoples gearboxes are being damaged running on low oil levels, simply don't believe the overfill narrative MG or SAIC has been peddling. They f*kked up with the breather design, simple as that.

Hi macadoodle
Totally agree with you on the overfill narrative, don’t know about the first part of you post don’t know what the M10 hollow back axel shaft looks like, pictures please if possible plus pictures of modifications and fitting if possible thanks
Les

Hi macadoodle
Totally agree with you on the overfill narrative, don’t know about the first part of you post don’t know what the M10 hollow back axel shaft looks like, pictures please if possible plus pictures of modifications and fitting if possible thanks
Les
Its a hollow rod threaded on both ends Les. I think i'll go ahead and make my own extended breather as I don't have confidence MG could find their own ass with both hands as the Americans say.
I'll post pics. I'll have to visit Halfords first for the bike bit though, the only axel I have is on my bike :)
Having filled my car with 800ml of fresh oil, its spewing out again, no doubt heading for the 600ml mark it stopped at last time :confused:

The unresolved oil leàk problem is holding me back from purchasing, the software problems seem to be resolvable.

The unresolved oil leàk problem is holding me back from purchasing, the software problems seem to be resolvable.
With enough pipe so is this issue

No idea - they likely won't have it in stock so this'll be a look-see first I guess.
Yeah my dealer said they've got to order them in

No idea - they likely won't have it in stock so this'll be a look-see first I guess.
With mine and a few others who had a post new breather leak, they (hopefully) fixed it by correcting the fixings.

With yours I thought they didn't do this, but instead just lowered the amount of oil. So you might not need (yet another) new breather, but corrected fixings.

Yeah my dealer said they've got to order them in
Yeh that’s exactly what they have to do plus send pictures to MG to prove it’s leaking the really annoying part of this I think I’m right in saying this will be the second that siteguru has had fitted so once again a no fix.
This is not a cure it’s just a work around in the hope it might stop it I think
Macadoodle got a far better idea in what he has written above in#2335 can’t believe I have just wrote post # 2335 for a bit of plastic pipe for the love of god MG fix the dam thing.
Les.

Yeh that’s exactly what they have to do plus send pictures to MG to prove it’s leaking the really annoying part of this I think I’m right in saying this will be the second that siteguru had fitted so once again a no fix.
This is not a cure it’s just a work around in the hope it might stop it I think
Macadoodle got a far better idea in what he has written above in#2335 can’t believe I have just wrote post # 2335 for a bit of plastic pipe for the love of god MG fix the dam thing.
Les.
I've had the breather fit already due to a leak from day 1 of ownership, but is still leaking slightly so onto a 2nd redesigned breather

Can I just ask - as I haven't seen any oil leaks (on drive at home or work) & the last time I looked underneath it looked normal (well nothing obvious) I've done now some 2k - but even if I was missing seeing any 'leaks' - Do you see any 'in car notification errors being reported' re Oil loss ?

Can I just ask - as I haven't seen any oil leaks (on drive at home or work) & the last time I looked underneath it looked normal (well nothing obvious) I've done now some 2k - but even if I was missing seeing any 'leaks' - Do you see any 'in car notification errors being reported' re Oil loss ?
No.

No as its supposed to be a "sealed for life" unit not like engine oil that has a time frame for replacement

So in that case - If I don't see anything would it be far to assume mine was fitted with some mod that is actually working ? - I don't drive the car hard - I just drive it ..

So in that case - If I don't see anything would it be far to assume mine was fitted with some mod that is actually working ? - I don't drive the car hard - I just drive it ..
The best way to check is to have a proper look by removing back left wheel. If there has been any leak you should be able to see traces of oil on the lower edge of the gear box and also on the undertray as you can now see on top of it clearly.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 516 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 88 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back