MG4 Reduction Gearbox Oil Leak

the other strange thing is after watching this a couple of times is the breather and the area around it look clean and dry and I wished he had taken the tray off altogether by to have a better look
Les
I agree Les he even ran his finger on it a one point

I agree Les he even ran his finger on it a one point
I agree. The only thing I could see was a slight decolourisation at the base of the breather where it screws in. I remember a post about oil coming out there rather than the top of the breather. BUT it looks quite clean and dry all around the breather area. Here's a screen grab from the video:

Attachments

• screenshot_20230211_175655.png
    screenshot_20230211_175655.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 149
oil-immersed-transformers-with-conservator-1.jpg

On high voltage transformers 33kV and above we have what is called a conservator tank which is there for oil to go into like an expansion vessel when the TX is under heavy load and then the breather is on the conservator, not to give MG any ideas 😂

Last edited:
On high voltage transformers 33kV and above we have what is called a conservator tank which is there for oil to go into like an expansion vessel whe the TX is under heavy load and then the breather is on the conservator, not to give MG any ideas 😂
I'm expecting them to just provide an extra catch tray under the floor with the facelift model. 🤣

I can only imagine that there's no baffle below the breather on this box, the breather hole really is tiny. Or maybe the ball valve is sticking and releasing like a cork, ejecting oil intermittently?

I topped up another 100ml for peace of mind so I now have at least 800ml of fresh oil and confirmed the breather was functioning, all back together now and undertray back on.
It could be my imagination but I'm sure it's running quieter, the wheee of the motor/ inverter is still there but I'm sure I had a bit of gear whine which is now gone.

This issue could bite MG hard on the arse, I can't imagine a component designed with a 900ml oil bath is going to be happy long term with the 600ml my one eventually stopped leaking at.

I can only imagine that there's no baffle below the breather on this box, the breather hole really is tiny. Or maybe the ball valve is sticking and releasing like a cork, ejecting oil intermittently?

I topped up another 100ml for peace of mind so I now have at least 800ml of fresh oil and confirmed the breather was functioning, all back together now and undertray back on.
It could be my imagination but I'm sure it's running quieter, the wheee of the motor/ inverter is still there but I'm sure I had a bit of gear whine which is now gone.

This issue could bite MG hard on the arse, I can't imagine a component designed with a 900ml oil bath is going to be happy long term with the 600ml my one eventually stopped leaking at.
It's the colour that 600ml got, so quickly. Thanks for showing us that today it's been a proper eye opener👍

If MG had a better approach to the issues would help with the customer experience. At the minute dealers are playing piggy in the middle and the MG customer service people are saying 'we sold it to the dealer so it's thier issue'. Mine has had several issues as many have seen including no AC charging. Great car, utter crap customer service. Think dealers might have to apply pressure to MG as well as customers.

If MG had a better approach to the issues would help with the customer experience. At the minute dealers are playing piggy in the middle and the MG customer service people are saying 'we sold it to the dealer so it's thier issue'. Mine has had several issues as many have seen including no AC charging. Great car, utter crap customer service. Think dealers might have to apply pressure to MG as well as customers.
The warranty is with MG so it is their issue as well as the dealers.

Unfortunately the salespeople at dealerships believe what they are told by MG , why shouldn't they ? They are told it's an overfill problem so that's what they say. Hopefully as time goes on they will start to find out the truth. My salesman told me it was an overfill issue so I said then why is there a modified breather available? He could not answer. When I picked up the car he told me the new breather was already fitted. I will check this today or tomorrow when I get chance to have a proper look. They really are a bit clueless when it comes to issues, they have to put a positive spin on it. I prefer the truth even if it's not what I want to hear. My dealer so far has been good so fingers crossed they will look after me if I need it. Will let you know if I have the breather mod , which I doubt , and also if any sign of the leak.
Ok I,ve had a look and to my surprise my car did come with the modified breather, no sign of oil leak (only done 300 odd miles) and the smallest bulge I've seen. So very happy with my dealer and hopefully an oil free driveway.😃🤞

Ok I,ve had a look and to my surprise my car did come with the modified breather, no sign of oil leak (only done 300 odd miles) and the smallest bulge I've seen. So very happy with my dealer and hopefully an oil free driveway.😃🤞
Good to hear. Recommend to get it checked around 1500 miles, my modified breather started leaking again around the join as the fixings they were using were not strong enough to keep it sealed.

Good to hear. Recommend to get it checked around 1500 miles, my modified breather started leaking again around the join as the fixings they were using were not strong enough to keep it sealed.
Yeah I think I will be checking it quite regularly, until it's been for it's 1st service, should be ok after that I hope.🤞

Yeah I think I will be checking it quite regularly, until it's been for it's 1st service, should be ok after that I hope.🤞
Hi AndyL61 where do I need too look please to get the best look at it some one here said you can see it if you look in through the wheel arch but now I have look both sides of my wife 4 SE and can’t see anything. So does it need to be on a ramp.
Thanks
Les

That's me back from my boy's weekend. I've done over 300 miles (about 160 miles each way), each journey in 2 stints (pit stop at Gretna services, to refuel both me and the car) and average speeds have been about 56 mph. (I used ACC set for the prevailing limit at each road section).

After parking back on my drive I took a look underneath ... the rear undertray looks shiny and has an oily feel. So I think the reduced level "fix" done last week hasn't worked, and I suspect the issue is the same as quoted above.

Another dealer call tomorrow. 🙄

Hi AndyL61 where do I need too look please to get the best look at it some one here said you can see it if you look in through the wheel arch but now I have look both sides of my wife 4 SE and can’t see anything. So does it need to be on a ramp.
Thanks
Les
Stick a phone up through the left rear wheel arch (between the wheel and the undertray) to take photos or a video. The drain plug is on the bottom, the fill plug is half way up the gearbox and the breather is right at the top near the HV cables.

Thanks
Les
Hi Les , you really need to jack up left rear , jack point is arrowed on the sill , remove the left rear wheel and you need to get a small bright torch look over the rail which is just under the wheel arch and you can see it as long as you know what you're looking for. If it is the original breather just a small upside down cup. Modified breather swan neck pipe going away from you then up with normal breather stuck on top.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 516 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 89 13.7%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back