MG4 Reduction Gearbox Oil Leak

So in that case - If I don't see anything would it be far to assume mine was fitted with some mod that is actually working ? - I don't drive the car hard - I just drive it ..
Depending on when you took delivery and your dealer the modified breather might have been fitted before you got it.

If MG Motor UK don't sort out their customer services skills, no one spending their hard earned on a MGC/Cyberster is going to put up with this crap, especially if that car is being sold close to if not above £40,000.

I've had the breather fit already due to a leak from day 1 of ownership, but is still leaking slightly so onto a 2nd redesigned breather
I think they just have to fit enough bloody pipe, it cant defy the laws of physics.
I had a look at our forlorn SORN 14 plate leaf today, never paid any attention to it's breather arrangement cos it NEVER LEAKED :)
It emerges through a hollow shaft in the intermediate bearing so isn't in direct line of fire from oil spray for starters.
It then snakes up the side of the tranny via a rubber hose before terminating in the actual breather valve on a bracket a good 10 inches above the top surface of the gearbox. Dry as a bone, and always has been.
Has definitely inspired me to try my bike axle / extension hose idea . I shall sell my patent to MG and make £££££££££££££££££££££££££££££.
The Chinese have a good track record of honouring international patents don't they ? :unsure:

Depending on when you took delivery and your dealer the modified breather might have been fitted before you got it.
Or it doesn't leak. Apparently only a minority do (according to the podcast), reasons unknown. Possibly due to revisions of components as the factory ramped production.

Last edited:
So in that case - If I don't see anything would it be far to assume mine was fitted with some mod that is actually working ? - I don't drive the car hard - I just drive it ..
Hiya my wife is like you she just drives it and not that hard and I have looking been almost daily from getting the car last October and never seen anything on the car or the driveway but a couple of weeks back we took it to the dealer for the safety recall for the door locking (still not done ) only to be told it is leaking oil so don’t assume anything over 2k now not seen a drop on the floor.
Les

So as a sensible human (haha) I’ve booked mine in this morning for a suspect leak … the under tray is no longer clean (it was then it wasn’t ?!?!) - I will get them to also run / apply any updates ..
Only change to the driving style was driving on normal mode for a day to see the difference / then changing back to eco ..

3 weeks short of 5 months from the first reported case on the forum, 7th October and still not resolved.

It shouldn't matter how you are driving your car, but as has been mentioned certain types of driving seem to bring it on.

This" new" "new" breather mod really needs to work this time.

Has it been officially confirmed there is a second modified breather or are MG UK still in denial about any leak?

Last edited:
Has it been officially confirmed there is a second modified breather or are MG UK still in denial about any leak?
No, and I'm not sure there is one. A few people, including me, have confirmed different stronger fixings for the first modified breather as being the latest fix.

No, and I'm not sure there is one. A few people, including me, have confirmed different stronger fixings for the first modified breather as being the latest fix.
I've been told by the dealer a modified version of the breather fix has been ordered for my car after the first fix (which was the breather mod) has not stopped the leak.

I have no reason to disbelieve them

Last edited:
So the confusion continues.. what leak, it's overfilled reduce level, supply photos before being allowed to order the part after reduced level did not stop the leak, the new breather fixing may have been incorrectly installed, it needs stronger fixings, there is another modified version....🙈....have I missed anything?

So the confusion continues.. what leak, it's overfilled reduce level, supply photos before being allowed to order the part after reduced level did not stop the leak, the new breather fixing may have been incorrectly installed, it needs stronger fixings, there is another modified version....🙈....have I missed anything?
There is no gearbox or car it's all part of the matrix

Got it...we are living in a simulation in pods of liquid....none of this is real....brilliant.. the MG UK team have outdone themselves and Mr Smart is part of the matrix franchise....

Got it...we are living in a simulation in pods of liquid....none of this is real....brilliant.. the MG UK team have outdone themselves and Mr Smart is part of the matrix franchise....
MG built the pods and there's a slight leak... Were waiting on a fix

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 544 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel