MG4 Reduction Gearbox Oil Leak

Get rid
Life is much better when divorced from an MG4.
Hopefully mine will be gone next week I can’t wait to get rid.already ordered my next ev car Kia ev9 as soon as it goes into production.but now I’m back in my old 2006 Vauxhall while the mg4 is stuck on the driveway pissing oil out again oh n paying for it still aswell

"I think I can categorically say that no breather design will work when fitted to the original top position on the gearbox, I tried EVERYTHING I could think of. The amount of pressure this assembly can push out of that tiny hole at the top of the box is unreal"

@Macadoodle quote above must basically confirm that everyone with the breather fitted and no leak from the top position breather must be running on a reduced amount of oil.
Fine in the short to medium term but long term ????

"I think I can categorically say that no breather design will work when fitted to the original top position on the gearbox, I tried EVERYTHING I could think of. The amount of pressure this assembly can push out of that tiny hole at the top of the box is unreal"

@Macadoodle quote above must basically confirm that everyone with the breather fitted and no leak from the top position breather must be running on a reduced amount of oil.
Fine in the short to medium term but long term ????
I agree with this , I said right from the start that the breather was badly positioned. However I now have my car , it is not leaking and I can not complain about something that doesn't exist for me. I will do an oil change at around 20k for peace of mind at which point I will find out the amount of oil in it. At least I will know that my gearbox oil has been changed way before it should be and that should at least help to reduce any detrimental affect of reduced amount. MG have always handled this whole thing badly and it should have been made clear whether a re design of the original has taken place. There could have been an internal change made in the form of a baffle plate / deflector, we don't know. It's a real shame this has led to cars being rejected and the now complete mis trust of MG UK and the china factories. I hope they have fixed it properly and that the car becomes the success they are hoping for. Time will tell.

I agree with this , I said right from the start that the breather was badly positioned. However I now have my car , it is not leaking and I can not complain about something that doesn't exist for me. I will do an oil change at around 20k for peace of mind at which point I will find out the amount of oil in it. At least I will know that my gearbox oil has been changed way before it should be and that should at least help to reduce any detrimental affect of reduced amount. MG have always handled this whole thing badly and it should have been made clear whether a re design of the original has taken place. There could have been an internal change made in the form of a baffle plate / deflector, we don't know. It's a real shame this has led to cars being rejected and the now complete mis trust of MG UK and the china factories. I hope they have fixed it properly and that the car becomes the success they are hoping for. Time will tell.
100% as has been said on many a thread about the early issues good clear communication would have went a long way to put people at ease. An acceptance of issues and how they were intending fixing them and I think most people would have been happy.

can’t wait till mine goes soon
The EV market has changed so much in the last 6 months, I had a look on autotrader this morning. There are so many 2022 low mileage EVs on there at great prices (compared to last year's over inflated used prices) just a few below

2022 Mustang £36990
2022 polestar LR £37995
2022 Tesla M3 £33995
2022 Ioniq5 lr £38580
2022 Born V3 77kw £35900

I would have probably gone for something like one of these if it was like that last year (hindsight is a wonderful thing)
Point is you will at least have plenty of choice out there at good prices if you want to look at the used market (makes up for the grief you have went through a little bit)

The EV market has changed so much in the last 6 months, I had a look on autotrader this morning. There are so many 2022 low mileage EVs on there at great prices (compared to last year's over inflated used prices) just a few below

2022 Mustang £36990
2022 polestar LR £37995
2022 Tesla M3 £33995
2022 Ioniq5 lr £38580
2022 Born V3 77kw £35900

I would have probably gone for something like one of these if it was like that last year (hindsight is a wonderful thing)
Point is you will at least have plenty of choice out there at good prices if you want to look at the used market (makes up for the grief you have went through a little bit)
I have already got a new car while my mg4 is sat on the driveway leaking.I’m driving a 2006 plate Vauxhall meriva now and love it lol.I’m waiting for Kia’s ev9 or ev5 next as I already have a Kia and get great customer service and great cars had 4 in the past shouldn’t have gone mg4.but the ng4 is a nice drive/car when all the issues are resolved but would I go back mg no as the customer service lacks badly

I have already got a new car while my mg4 is sat on the driveway leaking.I’m driving a 2006 plate Vauxhall meriva now and love it lol.I’m waiting for Kia’s ev9 or ev5 next as I already have a Kia and get great customer service and great cars had 4 in the past shouldn’t have gone mg4.but the ng4 is a nice drive/car when all the issues are resolved but would I go back mg no as the customer service lacks badly
I had Kia / Hyundai before the MG. But they didn't do an affordable EV that I liked so gave the MG a try. Hopefully when I get to changing again there will be more choice. So far the MG is fine so can't be too hard on it.

An Ev9 is going to be a huge jump in cost compared to an mg4!
18 month old ev6's for £38500 now! I agree re Kia we have a petrol Kia as our other car, great service from the dealer we use. The only reason I didn't buy a new style Niro EV was the wait times, but lots on autotrader now at decent prices

Last edited:
2022 Mustang £36990
2022 polestar LR £37995
2022 Tesla M3 £33995
2022 Ioniq5 lr £38580
2022 Born V3 77kw £35900
Used EV prices are dropping. Tesla has lowered the prices of their new vehicles twice now.

But MG has increased the price of the MG4 in Germany by around 2000 EUR right now. The Luxury/Trophy model is 40k now. I wonder if this will work out.

An Ev9 is going to be a huge jump in cost compared to an mg4!
18 month old ev6's for £38500 now! I agree re Kia we have a petrol Kia as our other car, great service from the dealer we use. The only reason I didn't buy a new style Niro EV was the weight times, but lots on autotrader now at decent prices
That’s why I didn’t get the Niro ev as was very long wait and 13k more than mg4 but wish I did go for the Niro ev.have you seen the ev5 Kia have announced it looks great.Niro ev has some bargain second hand ones but all seem to be the 2 spec I’m looking for the 3/4 spec not seen any those 2nd hand yet my workplace is setting up a ev scheme soon so may order one through that

So far the MG is fine so can't be too hard on it.
Yep. despite the price drops on the used market I struggle to see anything that can compete with the 26k I paid for a brand new car.
Apart from the oil leak, annoying auto lights and undertray bulge, all which I've managed to cure for under £20, my car has been fine.
I still really look forward to driving it even after thousands of miles covered. I'll probably keep it for at least 4 years if it remains dependable. It's a good EV, just had a few warts that needed to be trimmed ;)

That’s why I didn’t get the Niro ev as was very long wait and 13k more than mg4 but wish I did go for the Niro ev.have you seen the ev5 Kia have announced it looks great.Niro ev has some bargain second hand ones but all seem to be the 2 spec I’m looking for the 3/4 spec not seen any those 2nd hand yet my workplace is setting up a ev scheme soon so may order one through that
Couple of 3 spec on autotrader for £35500

The issue with buying used is the APR for them. I looked at a used Tesla Model 3 for £32k but they wanted 14.9%!!! It meant the monthly finance was way higher than the MG in the end.

The issue with buying used is the APR for them. I looked at a used Tesla Model 3 for £32k but they wanted 14.9%!!! It meant the monthly finance was way higher than the MG in the end.
Just sort out your own pcp finance, as members have done for their mg4s

Do we know, is this issue now non-existent on newly manufactured vehicles/other markets?
Australia and New Zealand are about to get the MG4 in the next few months and I would hate to think this issue is going to crop up to unsuspecting new customers here?
I was intending to get one but will now probably wait until next year for the Tesla 2, or another similar suitable small hatchback.

Do we know, is this issue now non-existent on newly manufactured vehicles/other markets?
Australia and New Zealand are about to get the MG4 in the next few months and I would hate to think this issue is going to crop up to unsuspecting new customers here?
I was intending to get one but will now probably wait until next year for the Tesla 2, or another similar suitable small hatchback.
It appears that the newly manufactured cars are not suffering from this. The early cars are being modified but there are still some early cars giving problems. Any cars delivered now should be leak free.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 507 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back