MG4 Reduction Gearbox Oil Leak

Well if you don't believe them then there's not much left to say.

Like everyone else I'd prefer clear proactive communication direct from MG on this but with the Chinese culture and their preference to put that on dealers, I don't think that's likely to change any time soon.
I didn't say I didn't believe them...I was just asking a question that the manufacturers have no doubt been asked before.
Also I indicated that more clarification and current information needs to be given to owners with this oil leak issue from both MG and manufacturers rather than just dodging the problem in many cases.

And in reply to your last comment re chinese culture...errr....yes.

Yes we do, it was covered on the podcast by Miles from MG and I think mentioned in at least one technical bulletin.
Miles isn't MG he works for Chorley group, which is the same as any other dealer and they can only relay what MG UK tell them, it's great that he passes on the info but MG UK have proven them selves on more than one occasion to be full of it and basically just put issues back onto the dealers.

I am not saying that what they are saying about the gearbox is wrong, but something that was designed to have 900mls in it, suddenly only having 600-700mls will not be performing at it's optimum, no matter what they say it was designed for 900mls. As you have said clarification would be good.

I didn't say I didn't believe them...only that more clarification and current information needs to be given to owners with this oil leak issue from both MG and manufacturers rather than just dodging the problem in many cases.
Acknowledged, I have just amended my post to clarify that I meant "believe in the reduction" and added a note to make it clear that a definitive fix is still needed for some.

Miles isn't MG he works for Chorley group, which is the same as any other dealer and they can only relay what MG UK tell them, it's great that he passes on the info but MG UK have proven them selves on more than one occasion to be full of it and basically just put issues back onto the dealers.
Acknowledged, I was responding to the claim that MG had never said / documented consulting with the gearbox manufacturer.

I think MG UK are most likely hamstrung by the parent company policy, that or so under resourced (is it just Gary?) that better communication is not possible.
I am not saying that what they are saying about the gearbox is wrong, but something that was designed to have 900mls in it, suddenly only having 600-700mls will not be performing at it's optimum, no matter what they say it was designed for 900mls. As you have said clarification would be good.
Quite.

Short term I personally don't think there will be any major issues with the lower oil level, although macadoodle did think his car ran quieter (I'm sure he said that) when he filled it back up to 900mls.

Long term, nobody knows, would imagine that will only be answered in 3 or 4 years time or by people with really high yearly mileage.

Does strike me a bit as MG just pushing the issue further down the line as it's in the too hard/expensive to deal with bracket.

I do expect MG may replace the oil as part of a future revised service schedule - it may be that this is why they are not bothered.
Potentially some damage may be done by then unfortunately nobody knows

The better weather today prompted me to fit the brass elbow to my modded side breather to complete the project ( hopefully )
Think I have put almost 2000 miles on the car since the side breather, no leaks whatsoever I'm pleased to say, drained the oil just to measure the amount and it was still bang on 850ml in the jug when drained for a minute.
:)
What really surprised me is when I poked a small screwdriver down into the original breather hole, it came to an abrupt halt around 30mm in, there's a cast in splash shield in there after all, couldn't be anything else I think.

So that's that theory shot down in flames, why the hell does it spray like a fire hose then ?? :oops:

last pipe.jpg

The better weather today prompted me to fit the brass elbow to my modded side breather to complete the project ( hopefully )
Think I have put almost 2000 miles on the car since the side breather, no leaks whatsoever I'm pleased to say, drained the oil just to measure the amount and it was still bang on 850ml in the jug when drained for a minute.
:)
What really surprised me is when I poked a small screwdriver down into the original breather hole, it came to an abrupt halt around 30mm in, there's a cast in splash shield in there after all, couldn't be anything else I think.

So that's that theory shot down in flames, why the hell does it spray like a fire hose then ?? :oops:

View attachment 16987
Is it facing the wrong way 😂

Re. MG not telling anybody, and nobody asking ... if DVSA take up the case (I know of at least 2 of us who have raised a case with DVSA on this) and they ask MG about it, MG will have to give them a proper answer. :)
Could you talk us through how to raise a case?

I think I should as well because I’m constantly getting fobbed off about the oil “it’s nothing just ignore it” from the place I bought it

Go a few pages back in this thread and there's a post (by @Ayoull I think) that gives the link.

Edit: I think this is the link - just follow the process. In my report I also included a link back to this thread.

Could you talk us through how to raise a case?

I think I should as well because I’m constantly getting fobbed off about the oil “it’s nothing just ignore it” from the place I bought it
Mine is now in for rejection over oil leak been repaired 2 times and leaks still dealer fobbed me off said it won’t be a issue I didn’t buy a car to leak oil everywhere and keep having new designed breathers that fail it’s a enclosed unit.being independently inspected my car next week with a full report being done on oil leak mg haven’t clue

Mine is now in for rejection over oil leak been repaired 2 times and leaks still dealer fobbed me off said it won’t be a issue I didn’t buy a car to leak oil everywhere and keep having new designed breathers that fail it’s a enclosed unit.being independently inspected my car next week with a full report being done on oil leak mg haven’t clue
This is just another example of what I said in post (my god) #3141 on this oil leak issue re the attitude of MG and most dealers. :rolleyes:

Mg4 is the worst car I have ever bought from service to quality it’s dreadful had it 6 months car been in dealership 3 months solid now being fixed
This is just another example of what I said in post (my god) #3141 on this oil leak issue re the attitude of MG and most dealers. :rolleyes:
my car has been a nightmare and still ongoing loosing sleep every night long story lots issues fobbed off no after care or considerations. Not even a follow up off how they did etc I am now driving a 2006 Vauxhall that is better than my mg4 lol while my mg is off road again spent more time in dealers than than it as at my own home in 6 months

Mg4 is the worst car I have ever bought from service to quality it’s dreadful had it 6 months car been in dealership 3 months solid now being fixed

my car has been a nightmare and still ongoing loosing sleep every night long story lots issues fobbed off no after care or considerations. Not even a follow up off how they did etc I am now driving a 2006 Vauxhall that is better than my mg4 lol while my mg is off road again spent more time in dealers than than it as at my own home in 6 months

This in a nutshell is the issue, a lot of cars have faults, there is questionable quality control and parts, despite what everyone says.

The problem is MG UK and some dealers, nobody should have to had to go through this. @Goldie007 is another member who hasn't had their car for months.

If you are lucky enough to get a car that apart from a few software issues, is good then this will seem like a great car, it has bang for the buck that is for sure, it rides and handles great, it's no hot hatch but it will perform better than most family hatches.

The issue only arise if you need to contact MG or have a crap dealer of which there are loads. MG UK are a joke they couldn't care less, to say " it's the dealers issue, we just sold them the car" that is them in a nutshell.
Their business model seems to be stack them high, sell them cheap, fingers crossed hope for the best the majority are ok.

People need to do their homework and look at the dealers near them find one with positive reviews for servicing, that could make a huge difference to your experience, finger's crossed you won't.need them.

Certainly the newer cars seem better, maybe they have got used to building them.

This in a nutshell is the issue, a lot of cars have faults, there is questionable quality control and parts, despite what everyone says.

The problem is MG UK and some dealers, nobody should have to had to go through this. @Goldie007 is another member who hasn't had their car for months.

If you are lucky enough to get a car that apart from a few software issues, is good then this will seem like a great car, it has bang for the buck that is for sure, it rides and handles great, it's no hot hatch but it will perform better than most family hatches.

The issue only arise if you need to contact MG or have a crap dealer of which there are loads. MG UK are a joke they couldn't care less, to say " it's the dealers issue, we just sold them the car" that is them in a nutshell.
Their business model seems to be stack them high, sell them cheap, fingers crossed hope for the best the majority are ok.

People need to do their homework and look at the dealers near them find one with positive reviews for servicing, that could make a huge difference to your experience, finger's crossed you won't.need them.

Certainly the newer cars seem better, maybe they have got used to building them.
Hit the nail on the head the car itself is a great ride and is locked by many many issues in my case.after service is shocking I have a Kia also which the service is impeccable you become a part of the family they remember you and build a good lasting relationship only reason I went mg was the price and car looked good worst mistake ever.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 537 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back