MG4 Reduction Gearbox Oil Leak

Whilst the above experience doesn't seem to be the usual with recently produced cars as Leni points out, it will be really terrible for the few like @Mars6394 and @Goldie007 even someone like Jester or Bowfer that had to go through problems for so long.

It's good that newer owners ie 23 production don't seem to have so many issues, but I just want to appaeal to such people to have patience and be tolerant of others experiences without being dismissive, as can sometimes be done because they are only a few people having serious issues.

Let's not forget the reason newer MG4s might have less issues is the brave ones that went in early got saddled with issues, raised them and they (MG) are getting better with producing the cars now without issues, well at least significant issues, maybe.

Also on a related matter but different thread, with the chap that came in first post highly critical of the car. Let's be tolerant of such views within reason. Was a bit disappointing that first instinct was to hit back at the guy. And I realise the energy the forum gave was just matching what he came in with but nevertheless I'll advocate tolerance first and explaining things to the person. However if such behaviours persist then..... Some people are impulsive with their purchases and his own research night have been watching YouTube review videos of which almost 95% are complimentary about MG4 as well as press releases without the negatives that only owners can experience or identify. If his expectation doesn't match the experience he's well within his right to be livid and might have come to the forum in that state. People say MG4 is cheap, I say that's relative. £25k isn't a small amount of money and forgetting the cost, even buying something for 20 quid that doesn't do what it's meant to will rile me up.

I don't disagree, although I am not seeing these dismissive posts that are being talked about. But feel free to point me to examples I might have missed.

In the other thread mentioned it was a single comment in kind, which is hardly evidence of a pile on.

In general I think this forum responds very well to people arriving with problems to report.

Whilst the above experience doesn't seem to be the usual with recently produced cars as Leni points out, it will be really terrible for the few like @Mars6394 and @Goldie007 even someone like Jester or Bowfer that had to go through problems for so long.

It's good that newer owners ie 23 production don't seem to have so many issues, but I just want to appaeal to such people to have patience and be tolerant of others experiences without being dismissive, as can sometimes be done because they are only a few people having serious issues.

Let's not forget the reason newer MG4s might have less issues is the brave ones that went in early got saddled with issues, raised them and they (MG) are getting better with producing the cars now without issues, well at least significant issues, maybe.

Also on a related matter but different thread, with the chap that came in first post highly critical of the car. Let's be tolerant of such views within reason. Was a bit disappointing that first instinct was to hit back at the guy. And I realise the energy the forum gave was just matching what he came in with but nevertheless I'll advocate tolerance first and explaining things to the person. However if such behaviours persist then..... Some people are impulsive with their purchases and his own research night have been watching YouTube review videos of which almost 95% are complimentary about MG4 as well as press releases without the negatives that only owners can experience or identify. If his expectation doesn't match the experience he's well within his right to be livid and might have come to the forum in that state. People say MG4 is cheap, I say that's relative. £25k isn't a small amount of money and forgetting the cost, even buying something for 20 quid that doesn't do what it's meant to will rile me up.
100% agree, as I've said there is a sliding scale of what is deemed as acceptable behaviour in here. Depending on whether you are critical or defending the car.
They guy did come at all wrong but was obviously very frustrated.
He is not the first person to be told/hinted at heavily to leave the forum, I have yet to see any of these members picked up for it.
This forum is probably up there amongst the most helpful and knowledgeable I've been on and if you get the right members answering they go out of there way to help people.

100% agree, as I've said there is a sliding scale of what is deemed as acceptable behaviour in here. Depending on whether you are critical or defending the car.
They guy did come at all wrong but was obviously very frustrated.
He is not the first person to be told/hinted at heavily to leave the forum, I have yet to see any of these members picked up for it.
This forum is probably up there amongst the most helpful and knowledgeable I've been on and if you get the right members answering they go out of there way to help people.
It is reasonable that the owners want in general constructive discussion of MGs and some have been warned and banned for not doing that.

However, beyond this I am not seeing the evidence that people are told to leave when they report the problem.

Clearly there have been some discussions that go round and round and people get frustrated and may make a comment like that, but that isn't the same as a new member asking for help and being asked to go elsewhere.

It is reasonable that the owners want in general constructive discussion of MGs and some have been warned and banned for not doing that.

However, beyond this I am not seeing the evidence that people are told to leave when they report the problem.

Clearly there have been some discussions that go round and round and people get frustrated and may make a comment like that, but that isn't the same as a new member asking for help and being asked to go elsewhere.
I haven't witnessed it, until yesterday, since the turn of the year but there were definitely a few cases last year, on more than one occasion members were provided links to forums of other vehicles with not so subtle accompanying comments, other members then joined in, again that was last year.

I agree that people want general constructive discussion, that goes both ways though. @Retsiba brought up the member yesterday that just launched into a rant with his first post, some of the replies to that weren't that constructive. Admin gave an example of someone walking in a pub and kicking off, I'd be very surprised if some of the members would be quite so quick to give similar replies if it was face to face in a pub, if we are going to use that example.
Again the member having the rant was rightly warned.

The things is people tend to voice more concerns over frustration I myself have had a nightmare experience while others have had great service.the car itself is a good car minus my faults if it wasn’t for the no/seriousness it would be a mega car to drive.mg though need to up there customer relations side and build on repeat return customers which will build the brand.does anybody want to buy a mg4 lol one is for sale soon

I had the modified breather fitted in January and discovered a new spot on the driveway today. The plastic cover underneath the drive unit is generously covered in oil. Now that's great, I thought it was solved. I'm considering to threaten them to buy it back if they fail to fix it again. I'm not going to waste my lifetime with this.

I had the modified breather fitted in January and discovered a new spot on the driveway today. The plastic cover underneath the drive unit is generously covered in oil. Now that's great, I thought it was solved. I'm considering to threaten them to buy it back if they fail to fix it again. I'm not going to waste my lifetime with this.
The modified breather has failed mine has been inspected and is being inspected again on Tuesday by independent engineers dealer has been useless at best they said there is another modified pipe v3 car is in for rejection can’t continue with all the issues I have had from 26 weeks ownership it has been in garage 19weeks and still is off road as advised not to use car.lost around a football size oil at work same on my driveway and the underplays is covered

I can live with all the software issues (of which there are still many). Fortunately I already have an appointment for those issues, so I can bring the car in soon.

But the oil leak I'm not going to put up with. It makes the car illegal to drive and it won't pass the German MOT. Above, I'm just not going to accept a 2022 vehicle soiling my driveway (and others').

I can live with all the software issues (of which there are still many). Fortunately I already have an appointment for those issues, so I can bring the car in soon.

But the oil leak I'm not going to put up with. It makes the car illegal to drive and it won't pass the German MOT. Above, I'm just not going to accept a 2022 vehicle soiling my driveway (and others').
I am the same software is poor but can live with it but my car underneath is covered this time.also had power failure issues lock in issues

I think I can categorically say that no breather design will work when fitted to the original top position on the gearbox, I tried EVERYTHING I could think of. The amount of pressure this assembly can push out of that tiny hole at the top of the box is unreal.

If you really like the car otherwise, it might be worth spending a few Euros to fit the components I did to the oil fill point on the gearbox side and make that the breather.
I know you simply shouldn't have to on a new car but for me the satisfaction in curing the problem MG seems unable to made it worth the effort.

Nearly 3000 miles on the side mount breather now and I still have 900ml of oil in my gearbox and none on my driveway. Living the dream :D

I think I can categorically say that no breather design will work when fitted to the original top position on the gearbox, I tried EVERYTHING I could think of. The amount of pressure this assembly can push out of that tiny hole at the top of the box is unreal.

If you really like the car otherwise, it might be worth spending a few Euros to fit the components I did to the oil fill point on the gearbox side and make that the breather.
I know you simply shouldn't have to on a new car but for me the satisfaction in curing the problem MG seems unable to made it worth the effort.

Nearly 3000 miles on the side mount breather now and I still have 900ml of oil in my gearbox and none on my driveway. Living the dream :D
It’s good that you have created a solution to the problem but as owners shouldn’t be having to do that in the process potentially voiding warranty it’s crazy that mg don’t care about this issue

Mine is now in for rejection over oil leak been repaired 2 times and leaks still dealer fobbed me off said it won’t be a issue I didn’t buy a car to leak oil everywhere and keep having new designed breathers that fail it’s a enclosed unit.being independently inspected my car next week with a full report being done on oil leak mg haven’t clue
It would be good if you could share the independent report?

I do have great respect for what you did and indeed it's a shame MG can't come up with a solution themselves (in some cases tbh).

But a DIY fix (as brillant as it is) is not an option for me. I can't and won't fiddle with the car. This is not my job.

I will give MG every opportunity required by law to fix it. And if they can't fix it they will have to take it back. I work many hours, see my little child infrequently and I really don't need another time consuming annoyance.

Last edited:
I do have great respect for what you did and indeed it's a shame MG can't come up with a solution themselves (in some cases tbh).

But a DIY fix (as brillant as it is) is not an option for me. I can't and won't fiddle with the car. This is not my job.

I will give MG every opportunity required by law to fix it. And if they can't fix it they will have to take it back. I work many hours, see my little child infrequently and I really don't need another time consuming annoyance.

Get rid
Life is much better when divorced from an MG4.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 507 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back