MG4 Reduction Gearbox Oil Leak

Bit of hose, bend it in the middle to stop the oil reaching the breather valve, big brackets to bolt it on, hardly anything to it to be fair, it does seem to work though
So what you're saying is some gardening hose and jubilee clips could work..🤔

So what you're saying is some gardening hose and jubilee clips could work..🤔
Need to get some breather valves, we could always use the originals, they need to come off to fit the hose (new breather) good to go then

Couldn't do any worse customer service wise

I think I e got an old ZX Spectrum in the attic, that and a tape recorder and we're good to go for diagnostics and updating

I could do that

There's nothing beats the MG4 on quality and price, it has brand new never seen before features.
Find home function (leaves a trail to easily retrace your route)
Unique cooling feature for the follow home unit, specially designed to harness the wind and ensure its funnelled back to keep everything cool.
Keep awake function, Flat spot tyres, so the repeating bump prevents any chance of falling asleep.

All unique design characteristics

I took the car to the dealer today to have the oil leak triaged, along with a chirruping air con compressor.

Speaking to the technician, he was saying that they needed to see it and send the details to MG because there are three different kits to resolve the oil leak so they need to make sure they’re getting the right one.
3 different kits to fix the oil leak issue? All the oil leak issues are with this same new model MG4 and apparently the fix is a new modified breather, not three.
I realize most of us are not mechanics but that doesn't make sense so hopefully the 'technician' knows it is the breather that needs replacing and not the brake fluid. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
3 different kits to fix the oil leak issue? All the oil leak issues are with this same new model MG4 and apparently the fix is a new modified breather, not three.
I realize most of us are not mechanics but that doesn't make sense so hopefully the 'technician' know it is the breather that needs replacing and not the brake fluid. :rolleyes:
1) There is no oil leak it is compressed water vapour from Mach speeds reached by the MG4

2) there's no oil, can't leak as its not there

3) there's no gearbox, direct drive these MG4s

Come to Jigsaw MG where all our cars are perfect and if they aren't we have the perfect excuse.... I mean explaination

New info this why would there be more than one fix

1) There is no oil leak it is compressed water vapour from Mach speeds reached by the MG4

2) there's no oil, can't leak as its not there

3) there's no gearbox, direct drive these MG4s

Come to Jigsaw MG where all our cars are perfect and if they aren't we have the perfect excuse.... I mean explaination
You are obviously an MG 'technician' or need to get a job as one. ;)

You are obviously an MG 'technician' or need to get a job as one. ;)
Does anyone know the part number for the revised breather? I have looked at the one on mine and the number is 12999969 with a date 07/09/2022? It has TPV written on it ( temperature pressure valve I assume ).

The car has a build date of June so it appears that it has a new breather, but the sales person didn’t know if it had been replaced.

My car was manufactured on 22nd September, arrived on UK on 17th November and has the leak . Dealer ordered the modified breather today.

Does anyone know the part number for the revised breather? I have looked at the one on mine and the number is 12999969 with a date 07/09/2022? It has TPV written on it ( temperature pressure valve I assume ).

The car has a build date of June so it appears that it has a new breather, but the sales person didn’t know if it had been replaced.
New modified breather wasn't designed and produced until October I believe.

Does it look like this.

Screenshot_20230104-234155__01.jpg

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 530 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums