MG4 Reduction Gearbox Oil Leak

That review taken from the car buyer site was not as first seems about the MG4 but actually about that shining example of motoring genius the MG 3.
No wonder MG think they walk on water if they are getting that feedback from that bag of bolts

I also think we should start to consider a special award for the 2000th post on this thread…

I can donate a prize

il_794xN.4470581283_t7py.jpg

Nice wee keyring for one lucky member😉

My home CCTV is far more entertaining

It would be interesting to run a separate poll to determine how many owners have had their dealer lie to them.
They are either lying or just do not know.
They advised @Rcade that they know about all issues and software would be updated before delivery of the car only a few days ago. And, of course, in no time the oil leak was discovered not long after taking delivery.
A software update is not going to fix an oil leak so they are obviously still selling them with the old breather design and misleading customers.

Last edited:
Well, popped into my dealer this morning to chase up where my guaranteed call back 3 weeks ago went!
A small apology and an explanation that all of Arnold Clarks systems have been down for weeks and still were answered that.
The service chap went and made me up a job card, took my details and asked if he could call me back after speaking to parts dept as he believes my breather had arrived. (I had my Mini with me, not the 4). Received a call about an hour later confirming the part was in and asked me to bring the car in straight away and they’ll fit it. Dropped it off around half 12 and left it with them, had other things to do. Collected it at half 4. They were also kind enough to adjust the headlights for me as they were far to low, much better now.
So…. lets see how it goes. I’ll check under it over the next few days and let you guys know.

Hopefully now I have an issue free car (bulge excluded)

TPMS errors - topped up the air in tyres - resolved.

Autohold errors - happened a few times over first week of ownership - no longer happening and working perfectly- resolved.

Oil leak - new breather fitted - hopefully resolved.

No other issues - yet.

Paul.

TPMS errors - topped up the air in tyres - resolved.

Autohold errors - happened a few times over first week of ownership - no longer happening and working perfectly- resolved.

Oil leak - new breather fitted - hopefully resolved.

No other issues - yet.

Paul.
Please keep us updated re all issues hopefully resolved. :)

Picked ours up on 29th Dec and just found an oil patch. Reported it to the dealer and waiting on what they say. Got the feeling that I will be starting the rejection process. Zero faith in the dealer after a number of lies and bull from them.

Issues so far.
Dash has bubbled on top
oil leak
spoiler loose
Right cooling vent stuck open

Last edited:
Picked ours up on 29th Dec and just found an oil patch. Reported it to the dealer and waiting on what they say. Got the feeling that I will be starting the rejection process. Zero faith in the dealer after a number of lies and bull from them.

Issues so far.
Dash has bubbled on top
oil leak
spoiler loose
I would defo reject if it has a bubbled dash top. I seen a car at my dealers that had been rejected for same thing. They said it was caused by the car being in the sun a long time in transit from China. Wonder if we get another scorcher this year a lot more cars will get this bubbling of the Dash?? The other issues are fixable and easily resolved.
I suppose they will just fit a new dash top cover.
Try and stick with the car as mine has had issues as well. OIl Leak, Tyres, Radio Freeze and Unstable Screen switching.
HOWEVER its a great car to drive and now milder weather the range is getting better.

This is one of the main issues - as we keep saying - yes, the cars have issues, but the dealers standards are generally very poor and this just makes things unbearable for some owners.

Issues so far.
Dash has bubbled on top
oil leak
spoiler loose
I’ve seen a few of the bubbling dash problem in this forum, the test drive car I had also had it badly. I have two little bubbles appearing on my dash also. Not yet at a point that I’m taking it in but I have made dealer aware.

This is one of the main issues - as we keep saying - yes, the cars have issues, but the dealers standards are generally very poor and this just makes things unbearable for some owners.
Very True, My dealer has been as pro-active as they can.....Howevere its MG support that has let them down and the time it takes to get parts.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 533 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back