MG4 Reduction Gearbox Oil Leak

Probably not got the new breather fitted then

Here is the latest poll results these are for 2 weeks due to Xmas break.
Total votes 96 that’s up 6 from 2 weeks ago

41 do not or have not seen an oil leak up that’s 1

7 had a leak from overfilling no change

37 have a leak but don’t know the cause that’s up 2

3 have a leak an it is or was more serious that’s up 1

8 had a leak and it is now fixed with a new breather that’s up 2.

Total 96
Les

Picked up my MG4 SE SR a few days ago, love the car by the way.

Before I picked it up I spoke to the dealer about some of the issues including this, the reduction gear oil leak. They said they know about them all, software would be updated and car would be ready.

Right enough, I checked the car over and it all seemed good, but the following day there was the oil leak on the under tray and my drive - I've just updated the poll so that's:

38 have a leak but don’t know the cause that’s up 3.

It's the basic design, a breather is only to allow for air expansion due to temperature increase, oil should not go into the breather. So either move the breather or fit an internal baffle plate to stop the oil entering the breather. The modified breather is very much a belt and braces fix which simply holds the oil in the swan neck pipe then allows it to flow back into the casing when you stop. It's not an ideal fix but better than nothing.
AndyL61 you and I must be using the same brain will at least the same thought waves as I could have not put it in better words myself it is dead right what you have written here.
Les.

Called my dealer today - breather mod kit has arrived. Based on availability of personnel (I'm also getting software updates plus the chirping compressor looked at) then my car is booked to be done on the 19th.

Timing suits me fine as I'll be retired then. 😎👴

Over the years I have had plenty of issues with dealerships, a couple of times leading to severe financial penalties for those dealers misbehaving. Whilst the issues noted with everything around the MG4 problems are disappointing I don't believe that the dealers being discussed here are necessarily any worse than many other not-too-helpful dealerships. Granted, they could have done better with dealing with the leaks, etc but it should be remembered that MG UK will have quite a lot of say in how the individual dealerships deal with reported issues, plus few dealerships discuss these matters amongst themselves so it's rather unlikely they will all be saying the same things anyway.

The reduction drive breather is a poor design and the "improved" version isn't much better...if oil fling is causing oil to be ejected through the breather then making the breather longer is only really a kludge to try to deal with poor design. An interior baffle or deflector on the end of the breather fitting inside the gearbox might well be a better way to prevent oil leaking, provided there is room between the internals and the fitting...if there isn't space then that's probably the majority of the issue.

Over the years I have had plenty of issues with dealerships, a couple of times leading to severe financial penalties for those dealers misbehaving. Whilst the issues noted with everything around the MG4 problems are disappointing I don't believe that the dealers being discussed here are necessarily any worse than many other not-too-helpful dealerships. Granted, they could have done better with dealing with the leaks, etc but it should be remembered that MG UK will have quite a lot of say in how the individual dealerships deal with reported issues, plus few dealerships discuss these matters amongst themselves so it's rather unlikely they will all be saying the same things anyway.

The reduction drive breather is a poor design and the "improved" version isn't much better...if oil fling is causing oil to be ejected through the breather then making the breather longer is only really a kludge to try to deal with poor design. An interior baffle or deflector on the end of the breather fitting inside the gearbox might well be a better way to prevent oil leaking, provided there is room between the internals and the fitting...if there isn't space then that's probably the majority of the issue.
As much as I agree to an extent, especially in relation to MG UK, providing leadership. This does not excuse some of the terrible service some, not all the dealerships are providing. There are mixed messages, instructions not to drive the car but refusals to provide a courtesy car in those circumstances and a lot of lies...

Basic levels of service and honesty should not have to come as an instruction from MG, neither should it need the dealers to talk to each other to provide it. These things should be the minimum expectation.
People will put up with a lot o
If kept updated with honest information.

First we've heard of this. More information would be interesting.
So it appears we now have a 1-3 chance of getting it fixed or should I say bodged up first time or are some dealers going to use this to buy time by saying sorry they have sent us the wrong one another load of BS.

It would be interesting to run a separate poll to determine how many owners have had their dealer lie to them.
Alb please don’t there’s about 159 MG dealers across the UK I think I have heard said somewhere so shall we start there.
Les

So it appears we now have a 1-3 chance of getting it fixed or should I say bodged up first time or are some dealers going to use this to buy time by saying sorry they have sent us the wrong one another load of BS.

Alb please don’t there’s about 159 MG dealers across the UK I think I have heard said somewhere so shall we start there.
Les
It doesn’t really surprise me Les. Just look at the saga that you endured over roof bars which you would hope was straightforward.

I keep getting told of for being critical, I was trying to be polite.😉
I too think sometimes I am being too critical about MG's response and poor level of customer service as I haven't actually taken delivery of an MG vehicle yet . But I read about all you guys having to take your cars back to dealers for problems which should have been fixed before you took delivery. It makes my blood boil that they will happily take your hard earned money, report record sales , receive rave reviews, but treat their customers so poorly. I really do hope that someone in MG UK's management will maybe have a look at what is happening and realise that if you don't look after your customers then you run the risk of losing those customers, do that enough and your business will fail. I still want the car but I can't help thinking I hope I,ve not made the wrong choice.

There must be employees from MG on this forum….. keeping their heads down….
apart from Miles, who is first class

This is why they are in the state they are in, they believe their Customer's reviews.

"Probably the best value car on the road today. What other car offers this much style, handling and equipment for so little money? As spacious as cars from the class above and handling to match any hot hatch, it actually feels more planted than my MG ZS! The car's design is a breath of fresh air from the usual bland hatchbacks and looks great With how much MG have improved in such a short space of time, it should be a another cracker!
Would you recommend the car to a friend?
Yes Green thumbs up

5 OUT OF 5

This is an actual customers review from carbuyer site.

See if you can guess the twist

You will not get the twist, but it explains a lot

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 532 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums