MG4 Reduction Gearbox Oil Leak

Lets be honest tho' its not a deal breaker. Mine has had the new breather fitted weeks ago and is totally fine. Also it still appears not all cars have this problem. The small amount of oil lost will have no detriment to the mechanics of the gearbox.
I agree that MG should just fit the modified part to all cars and thats where they let them selves down. However a good dealer is worth a million thanks as they have pestered MG for the fixes to my car.
It still is the best driven car I have owned and thats coming from Mercedes, BMW, Lexus, Audi and Volvo.
I guess the issue is the mixed messages not helped by the dealership asking for a call to the AA who have no option but to say it needs transport to the dealership, they aren't going to say it's safe to drive. When the dealership talks to MG UK they will say it's safe to drive, who knows if the will be passed onto @sdjmchattie , the lack of consistency is the issue.
We know from previous instances this is safe to drive and the causes the least impact on the owner.

How do you know it's only a small amount of oil though, would you be willing to a 100% say that there will be no detriment to the gear box.

There is only 900mls in there to start with, if the car is leaking over a period of weeks could you say that it wouldn't lose enough to cause any undue wear through the reduced amount.

How do you know it's only a small amount of oil though, would you be willing to a 100% say that there will be no detriment to the gear box.

There is only 900mls in there to start with, if the car is leaking over a period of weeks could you say that it wouldn't lose enough to cause any undue wear through the reduced amount.
I assume you are replying to me😉. I don't but and quite certain it isn't, we haven't had a case where it it's yet 🤔.
Are you supporting MGs stance here, that quite unusual for you 😉

If you call an AA guy out for an oil leak on a vehicle he doesnt know for something he cant see well is going to default to “dont drive it”. This covers his ass.

I cant help think this is a minor no problem issue that needs a non urgent resolution- unless you have a nice new light coloured driveway.

This doesn’t seem like an issue that will stop the car running or be a safety issue.

Hi had my se lr back to dealers last week for health check as they call lt headlights were very poor so main reason it was in as not safe to drive turned out way too low are now much better was told there was no oil leak bone dry.they told me again it has all been blown up on forums and new cars are not coming in with new pipes on.going back for two days this week to have all updates loaded.only doing as I gave them a list of things not right on the car.they have to ask china to give them the one’s advalible so more BS.happy day’s

The problem is that we don’t know for certain if it will cause any damage to the car. We are also getting conflicting reports, ranging from ‘there are 3 types of breather’ to ‘we only replace if it leaks’. It’s perfectly natural to be very concerned if your new car is leaking oil. It’s perfectly reasonable to expect a consistent and sensible response and for it to be rectified quickly. This in many cases is not happened. Customers don’t know what to do. I personally have asked 3 different dealers about this whilst enquiring about a car. 3 different answers ranging from ‘it’s not a leak’ ‘if it leaks we will sort it’ and ‘none of the cars we have sold have leaks’. 🥹

I am not sure what your profession is and I know you like to comment in a way that knocks the MG4 in a negative way, hence you bought a Megan.
I am a recently retired Marine Chief Engineer and have degrees in mechanical engineering.
I have stripped down many gearboxes on large plants and even on my Triumph Stag.
Unless the box was totaly dry of any oil, so much so the gears could not pick up any oil to splash and form a 'boundary' lubriction between the faces of the engaging teeth then no damage to the gear teeth will occur. So based on the design and quanitity in the box (900ml) almost 1Litre, then I doubt that amount of oil could drip out of the breather to cause a problem.
Like I say once any car has the dripping oil and the new breather is fitted then move on and enjoy the car.

The problem is that we don’t know for certain if it will cause any damage to the car. We are also getting conflicting reports, ranging from ‘there are 3 types of breather’ to ‘we only replace if it leaks’. It’s perfectly natural to be very concerned if your new car is leaking oil. It’s perfectly reasonable to expect a consistent and sensible response and for it to be rectified quickly. This in many cases is not happened. Customers don’t know what to do. I personally have asked 3 different dealers about this whilst enquiring about a car. 3 different answers ranging from ‘it’s not a leak’ ‘if it leaks we will sort it’ and ‘none of the cars we have sold have leaks’. 🥹
Please dont get drawn into 'chinese whispers' and 'forum chat' about the car.
As I have tried to explain the oil leak is not a major problem.
Hard to believe that almost 2000 post on this subject causing more harm than good.

I am not sure what your profession is and I know you like to comment in a way that knocks the MG4 in a negative way, hence you bought a Megan.
I am a recently retired Marine Chief Engineer and have degrees in mechanical engineering.
I have stripped down many gearboxes on large plants and even on my Triumph Stag.
Unless the box was totaly dry of any oil, so much so the gears could not pick up any oil to splash and form a 'boundary' lubriction between the faces of the engaging teeth then no damage to the gear teeth will occur. So based on the design and quanitity in the box (900ml) almost 1Litre, then I doubt that amount of oil could drip out of the breather to cause a problem.
Like I say once any car has the dripping oil and the new breather is fitted then move on and enjoy the car.
Do you feel MG has dealt with well in a professional and informed way for owners experiencing the issue?

Please dont get drawn into 'chinese whispers' and 'forum chat' about the car.
As I have tried to explain the oil leak is not a major problem.
Hard to believe that almost 2000 post on this subject causing more harm than good.
I’m on the forum to get involved with forum chat - isn’t That what we all do?
I’m sorry but even with your background you didn’t design the gearbox and you have no inside information on the exact cause of the issue - you are guessing. Yes, I would say that it is probable something easily rectified that may have been blown out of proportion - but I am guessing as well, but couldn’t it have been dealt with better do you feel?

Do you feel MG has dealt with well in a professional and informed way for owners experiencing the issue?
Defo in my case, Vic Youngs in South Shields has gone above what I expected. To the point of pestering MG China for answers and being open with me.
My car had rumble/vibration it was the flat spots on the tyres so they changed them, they even fitted all season tyres for me of my choice.
The wipers were rubbish chinese rubber, i fitted Bosch and brilliant.
I have a flipping screen occasionally and I get a new screen fitted on Wednesday.
I have a bulge in undertray but does not whistle or make any difference.
My radio freezes almost every other day, dealer will see if screen fixes this if not they will get a new radio module.
All those are not deal breakers in my eyes and totally fixable and the car is great to drive.
So if you live close to a reputable dealer then you will have no problem on fixes and support.
Of not then you take the risk, but even then the problems are not deal breakers in my eyes anyway.

I’m on the forum to get involved with forum chat - isn’t That what we all do?
I’m sorry but even with your background you didn’t design the gearbox and you have no inside information on the exact cause of the issue - you are guessing. Yes, I would say that it is probable something easily rectified that may have been blown out of proportion - but I am guessing as well, but couldn’t it have been dealt with better do you feel?
I would say my 'guessing' has a lot more foundation than yours!!!
If not for you then move on to another.

Id suggest they would only need to speak to every customer proactively if it was a BIG issue.

This seems to me something that can be checked at next service.

Why would they risk a gearbox running dry, which is on them under warranty?

Id suggest they would only need to speak to every customer proactively if it was a BIG issue.

This seems to me something that can be checked at next service.

Why would they risk a gearbox running dry, which is on them under warranty?
That’s not what I asked.

I assume you are replying to me😉. I don't but and quite certain it isn't, we haven't had a case where it it's yet 🤔.
Are you supporting MGs stance here, that quite unusual for you 😉
Was replying to Halifax 73, your right though nobody knows it's pure speculation.
Siteguru was going to get his dealer to check how much oil they drain from his, when they fit the new breather, his has been leaking for a few weeks now, certainly before Christmas

Defo in my case, Vic Youngs in South Shields has gone above what I expected. To the point of pestering MG China for answers and being open with me.
My car had rumble/vibration it was the flat spots on the tyres so they changed them, they even fitted all season tyres for me of my choice.
The wipers were rubbish chinese rubber, i fitted Bosch and brilliant.
I have a flipping screen occasionally and I get a new screen fitted on Wednesday.
I have a bulge in undertray but does not whistle or make any difference.
My radio freezes almost every other day, dealer will see if screen fixes this if not they will get a new radio module.
All those are not deal breakers in my eyes and totally fixable and the car is great to drive.
So if you live close to a reputable dealer then you will have no problem on fixes and support.
Of not then you take the risk, but even then the problems are not deal breakers in my eyes anyway.
I’m pleased that you are happy and seem to have a good local dealer. Taking a more holistic view. Do you not have any empathy with those that are not getting good service and having issues?

They haven't done that either, the locking in problem is potentially a big issue.
The report to DVSA and the police report kind of back that up.
Still no call from MG

They haven't done that either, the locking in problem is potentially a big issue.
The report to DVSA and the police report kind of back that up.
Still no call from MG
Looking at the guidance, MG have 28days from the DVSA contacting them to provide a report to the DVSA regarding the fault and if it is classed as a safety issue or not, and the DVSA then has 28days to review and comment before instructing the manufacturer what to do

Mine goes in on the 19th for the breather mod etc. I'll try to remember to ask them to measure the drained oil amount. (I suspect there'll still be a little oil left in, even after draining, but it should give a guide ... it'll be about 5 weeks from reporting the leak to getting it fixed).

That's good to you can come at this with all that experience, unfortunately a lot of owners don't have that to fall back on.
I have also said in the past that you seem to have an exception to the rule with Vic Young's, who are proving themselves to actually care about their reputation, in the way the are dealing with issues/complaints even the value for money of their service plans (which have set the bar)

I'm not here just to be negative about the MG4, despite cancelling my order I have made it abundantly clear I will shortly be in the market for second EV and I'm still interested in it, if the can sort the issues. Unfortunately that is not the case Vic Young's aside.

Another thought with regards your post.

Maybe one of the members works in a customer focused environment, has spent years doing it in high end businesses, gained numerous qualifications in their time.

From their expert point of view (similar to yours with the engineering side) I'd like to hear their opinion on MG's customer focus/ satisfaction ethos, how they deal with issues! and what they think of it. Would be interesting to hear, because they would obviously know what they are talking about

Last edited by a moderator:
That’s not what I asked.
My point is they dont need to contact customers over the slightest things that in your mind are a major crisis.

So there was no valid question to answer

This all kinda backs up my theory that using this forum is a negative experience because the 1% of whinger owners make it look like the happy 99% don’t exist.

The 99% are driving their cars and not onntheir knees everywhere looking for oil spots or rippled plastic covers

Another thought with regards your post.

Maybe one of the members works in a customer focused environment, has spent years doing it in high end businesses, gained numerous qualifications in their time.

From their expert point of view (similar to yours with the engineering side) I'd like to hear their opinion on MG's customer focus/ satisfaction ethos, how they deal with issues! and what they think of it. Would be interesting to hear, because they would obviously know what they are talking about
So is the post about Gear Box Oil Leak (Mechanical) or customer care?

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 502 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back