MG4 Reduction Gearbox Oil Leak

Yes, absolutely, MG need to clarify. Presumably they are still investigating.

We still don’t know how serious the leak is, the cause and what the permanent fix will be.

At a minimum, they need to tell us what is going on and what they know so far.

Someone on the MG4 group on Facebook has posted this:
1666030671537.png

For me too.

Until I know what the cause and remedy are, and which cars/batches are affected, I am going to sit tight on my order. I am not expecting delivery before xmas and I expect this will be fully resolved by then.
On an order that hasn’t been delivered yet this makes sense but for those that have already taken delivery it is a lot more pressing.

Some may just be overfilled, some may be contaminated or built wrongly, everything is possible until we get some more information.

Edit: I am not a mechanic but generally transmission oil should be clean, it is not like engine oil.
Hmmm at last some interesting info cross contamination- what else could be leaking into the transmission. where is the flat battery situated directly above?

Facts 2 weeks at least since 1st report of leak - MG still haven’t found what is causing it,

Even some dealers claiming mg not told them about this issue

If it is one month to inspect then I would be very concerned at this point with your rights. Putting written notice in not even sure where u stand legally with the reasonable period of time to make faults good line.

MG covering cleaning bills for your drive- good luck with that one as well.

I am just glad I cancelled my order as it stands
I read somewhere (Google search!) that the time that the dealer spends investigating the fault doesn’t count in the timing for the rejection. So if the dealer picks it up on the 28th day and spends 3 weeks investigating, you can still reject it using the 30 day rule

I read somewhere (Google search!) that the time that the dealer spends investigating the fault doesn’t count in the timing for the rejection. So if the dealer picks it up on the 28th day and spends 3 weeks investigating, you can still reject it using the 30 day rule
Is the correct answer. (See section 22(6))

Most of the people noticing drips on their driveway seemed to be reporting clean oil so contamination by something else is a bit of a long shot. Having said that, emulsification could create the foaming effect I mentioned earlier if water found its way in.

I would be a little concerned what damage may be happening to the gearbox, a low level of oil, or oil that may be "frothing" as it is the wrong grade oil, will not be doing the mechanicals any good at all. May be OK in the first few years or 1000's of miles, but no one can know at this point if the gearbox has sustained internal issues.

Wouldn't trust MG if they told me it will be fine, as they can't even find where a leak is coming from, not confidence inspiring at all.

Hmmm at last some interesting info cross contamination- what else could be leaking into the transmission. where is the flat battery situated directly above?

The battery is separated by a significant distance from the motor/transmission. Unlike an ICE there's no "contaminated" oil in one place that can migrate to another place. Any contaminated oil can only be as a result of the failure of a component such as a bearing or brush, or by the leak of another fuid into it.

SAIC have a major issue that they need to resolve quickly and thoroughly. Any delay or backsliding will permanently damage the reputation of the vehicle and the brand - a major pity given the successes of recent years and the sound basis that the MG4 promises. The lack of strength in depth of the dealer network will be a significant impediment in resolving the issues.

Any qualified mechanics here wish to comment on this information ?
To be fair, and not wanting to get on your wires ….what do you care? You have cancelled and already decided the MG4 is not for you.

What more could you possibly garner from your current stance?

I must say, having put down a deposit on Oct 1st for a Trophy, these reports are somewhat worrying. My only remaining hope is that given the frequency of reports, MG technical department are on high alert and are investigating as I type.

If my order is to arrive as originally predicted (12 to 16 weeks) then Dec / Jan then I can only take some comfort in the thought that it should, I repeat, Should have been rectified by the time my allocated unit is manufactured and shipped.

I must say, having put down a deposit on Oct 1st for a Trophy, these reports are somewhat worrying. My only remaining hope is that given the frequency of reports, MG technical department are on high alert and are investigating as I type.

If my order is to arrive as originally predicted (12 to 16 weeks) then Dec / Jan then I can only take some comfort in the thought that it should, I repeat, Should have been rectified by the time my allocated unit is manufactured and shipped.
Well if this is your stance, I would cancel now and let another person enjoy the gift of the MG4…..get yourself a VW or a Cupra, or a Kia, or anything else in the region of £40K 👍

getting rather fed up now of many members on a MG forum stating anything but, wanting to buy an MG 🤣.

if you can not get over a small amount if issues, regarding a completely brand new car, then just tell this forum that you are not going to buy an MG, and let us know what you think is a better purchase, obviously including your preferences, so that we can all be informed of your excellence 👍

The battery is separated by a significant distance from the motor/transmission. Unlike an ICE there's no "contaminated" oil in one place that can migrate to another place. Any contaminated oil can only be as a result of the failure of a component such as a bearing or brush, or by the leak of another fuid into it.

SAIC have a major issue that they need to resolve quickly and thoroughly. Any delay or backsliding will permanently damage the reputation of the vehicle and the brand - a major pity given the successes of recent years and the sound basis that the MG4 promises. The lack of strength in depth of the dealer network will be a significant impediment in resolving the issues.
What an insightful, well thought out and explained statement, Thanks for taking the time to enlighten us.

Well if this is your stance, I would cancel now and let another person enjoy the gift of the MG4…..get yourself a VW or a Cupra, or a Kia, or anything else in the region of £40K 👍

getting rather fed up now of many members on a MG forum stating anything but, wanting to buy an MG 🤣.

if you can not get over a small amount if issues, regarding a completely brand new car, then just tell this forum that you are not going to buy an MG, and let us know what you think is a better purchase, obviously including your preferences, so that we can all be informed of your excellence 👍
Just to be clear, I very much do wish to own and drive an MG4, as I have said, I enjoyed the test drive and placed the deposit, no qualms in that regard, it made financial sense, I even have access to a salary sacrifice scheme, at work but the MG4, direct with my local MG dealer works out cheaper. This when combined with the feature packed Trophy model, a sporty drive and looks (especially in white - you don't mind me expressing that opinion do you Harry?) made that order placement easy.

Just wondering why you seem to think it odd that people post on a forum about a vehicle they are yet to take delivery of ? Well, I joined the forum to see what other people's experiences with the car are, so I could draw comparisons with perhaps what my own potential ownership experience, having to wait 16 weeks for my own to be built is a long time to be ignorant of other people's experiences.

I must admit, I find your post quite bewildering and passive aggressive (smiley face not withstanding) Whilst I am looking to be open to the experiences of others, I will, if possible, offer any input I have garnered from other sources, after all, that is the purpose of this forum, perhaps you are familiar with this concept?
Having said all that, I am not wanting to be part of a owner / driver experiment in snag listing, I think even for a "new platform" that is too much burden to expect a paying customer to own.

Oh and Harry, we already have an ID.3, the MG4 would be a replacement for our Petrol second car and the only issues we have had with the VW ID.3 has been the odd software brain fart, which will hopefully now be sorted with the replacement SOS module, the 12v battery replacement and the latest software patch, (done under a recall / warranty) so I am quite familiar with issues relating to new to market and "not quite ready" brand new platforms and EV's.

The difference I am evaluating here is more around mechanical robustness, with motor sealing / coolant leakage, which I am sure you can see; presents a more significant risk / issue /concern (choose which word your most comfortable with here Harry) when compared to a software issue.

As for your comment regarding "a small amount of issues", whilst being cognisant of the modern landscape of social media where people are maybe more inclined to report a negative than sing about a positive, we are all experiencing life under a magnifying lens, there does seems to be a growing list of teething Troubles / Bugs / Concerns (again, choose the word you are most comfortable with Harry) for MG to iron out here, I don't think there is an exhaustive list yet,(maybe the beginnings of one in the things to look for on car pick up day) but some of them are niggles, whilst some of them present clear and present danger to the end user, the most worrying which falls into this category being the sudden loss of power - limp mode error?.

So Harry, there you have it, my thoughts for the whole forum to read. I do hope you approve of my choice of words, perhaps you can review whilst reminiscing of the glory days of the British car industry, perhaps one day, you will once again bask in the immense feeling of pride in the MG badge, or hark back to that pale yellow "All-Aggro" (Austin Allegro) which dissolved before your very eyes, who knows (smiley face)

Oh look, not a single swear,....how excellent :)

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 530 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back