MG4 Reduction Gearbox Oil Leak

Just pop into the Oil leak poll again now stands at
54 votes
28 now that don’t have the leak that’s up 4 from Friday
21 have a leak but don’t yet know where it’s coming from ( no change )
Les
I wonder if that's because the second batch are starting to come through and they don't have an oil leak?

I wonder if that's because the second batch are starting to come through and they don't have an oil leak?
I wonder if its because it is now autumn so people are reluctant to climb under their car, if the wet weather makes it harder to see fresh oil, or the darker nights mean that it is harder to see?

I wonder if its because it is now autumn so people are reluctant to climb under their car, if the wet weather makes it harder to see fresh oil, or the darker nights mean that it is harder to see?

Well, I was still in my kit when I got home (grass roots changing rooms sometimes don't exist..) so I got down and had a brief look when I got home but a cursory inspection looked OK. Tomorrow in decent light and with a torch may be different..

Kind of amazed that someone officially representing the UK regional arm of a Chinese owned company would denegrate their brand custodians by using such an out-dated and potentially culturally offensive term in a customer facing communication, but there it is!
Which of course is very true.
However, in a field which regularly uses the potentially offensive term 'Granny Cable' as freely as talking about the weather, maybe not surprising.

However, in a field which regularly uses the potentially offensive term 'Granny Cable' as freely as talking about the weather, maybe not surprising.
Very true and point well made. Talking of the weather, its raining cats and dogs here, or as they might say on the Hyundai and Kia forums "its raining dinner" ;)

Well, my name on my football team chat is 'Granny Sue' seeing as I'm 50 years older than the youngest member of the team, and I find it very dificult to be offended, although some people do like to be.. :) What was great today was the ref, who was 82! Deaf as a post. :ROFLMAO:

As for WalkingBootWeather... behave!

Very true and point well made. Talking of the weather, its raining cats and dogs here, or as they might say on the Hyundai and Kia forums "its raining dinner" ;)
We are not amused 🤨
57B0F414-C556-4E92-BB9B-ECEA2EF79E94.jpeg

Well, my name on my football team chat is 'Granny Sue' seeing as I'm 50 years older than the youngest member of the team, and I find it very dificult to be offended, although some people do like to be.. :) What was great today was the ref, who was 82! Deaf as a post. :ROFLMAO:

As for WalkingBootWeather... behave!
How about changing the name to Granny Charger? My dear wife of 50 years hates me using that term.👴

So picked up our MG4 on Saturday and it has the oil leak! How much oil are people seeing leaking out? Our car is parked on an area where you wouldn't see it on the ground but there does seem to be a lot on the panels underneath the car. I know that has all been said before, but surely carrying on driving the car can't be correct?

So picked up our MG4 on Saturday and it has the oil leak! How much oil are people seeing leaking out? Our car is parked on an area where you wouldn't see it on the ground but there does seem to be a lot on the panels underneath the car. I know that has all been said before, but surely carrying on driving the car can't be correct?
correct why would anyone carry on driving a car with an oil leak that they have just paid £26 -£32,000 pounds for. Oil on brakes or tyres then becomes your problem in an accident!!!!

I am not sure that they are. Read on a You tube video today that a dealer had just taken delivery of 4 new MG4’s and they all leaked. SAIC should be sorting it before they are delivered into the UK and not leaving it for the dealer to put right. Are MG putting on enough pressure and actually trying to find out from SAIC what the actual problem is. I am still not convinced it’s just overfill!

correct why would anyone carry on driving a car with an oil leak that they have just paid £26 -£32,000 pounds for. Oil on brakes or tyres then becomes your problem in an accident!!!!
The dealer and MG have said safe to use.
Until they announce a safety recall I'll continue to use mine as that's what I've been advised to do by the manufacturer and supplying dealer.

So on that podcast he said 'only' about 30-40 have reported the leak on the forum, but then compares to the 1,000 or so that have been sold (interpreting it as
perspective, 30-40 out of a 1,000 sold). Uh, I doubt all of those 1,000 owners post on this forum or facebook, and moreover, I doubt many have even noticed.
30-40 reporting of the same issue on a forum when only ~ 1,000 have been sold is a VERY large sample.

Last edited:
In my opinion too much time on tesco podpoint, charging costs etc. so the rest felt compressed...or was it just me? Not Miles fault but still didn't feel totally reassured about the...let's not call it a leak....oil spitting out the breather pipe cause and solution....hey ho let's move on nothing to see here

Alan

Last edited:
I get the feeling that the general lack of alarm from MG/China concerning the oil leak must mean that they feel that the leak will subside once sufficient oil has been lost - sort of self-limiting. Well, that's OK if the minimum level is not violated, I suppose.

Meanwhile, the slightly less serious problem of the soiled driveways remains...

"Nothing to see here" appears the general attitude from MG both in the UK and abroad. VW don't appear to have taken the damage deserved from their attitude towards the early customers of the iD.3 and I suspect that MG are quite happy for owners to return cars as they can resell them easily.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 507 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back