• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

MG4 Reduction Gearbox Oil Leak

I thought the section in the podcast on the oil leak was disappointing. Information unclear and a bit defensive. To be fair, it is not the job of @Miles Roberts CG to be leading MG‘s response to this issue, he is just one dealer who happens to be involved with the forum and gives his time and advice which is appreciated by many, myself included. I think he will be trying also to navigate tricky position re what he can and can’t say on a forum especially as MG Motors UKs official position is that they do not value forum opinion or participation.

Last edited:
I thought the section in the podcast on the oil leak was disappointing. Information unclear and a bit defensive. To be fair, it is not the job of @Miles Roberts CG to be leading MG‘s response to this issue, he is just one dealer who happens to be involved with the forum and gives his time and advice which is appreciated by many, myself included. I think he will be trying also to navigate tricky position re what he can and can’t say on a forum especially as MG Motors UKs official position is that they do not value forum opinion or participation.
I agree and I think this is why it is important that we show them the value of our forum by ensuring it holds them to account without becoming a place to simply bash them.

Spoke to my dealer today who had new comms from MG. The car is completely safe to drive without any speed limits. The current breather is doing what it is suppose to do i.e. getting rid of any excessive oil. Regardless, the modifier breather is on order and I will be informed when it arrives to get it installed. Hopefully MG will release a system update soon too, to remove this annoying "keep your eyes on the road" popping message.

Spoke to my dealer today who had new comms from MG. The car is completely safe to drive without any speed limits. The current breather is doing what it is suppose to do i.e. getting rid of any excessive oil. Regardless, the modifier breather is on order and I will be informed when it arrives to get it installed. Hopefully MG will release a system update soon too, to remove this annoying "keep your eyes on the road" popping message.
With respect, there are contradictions here are there not? If the current breather is “doing what it is supposed to do” then why would you need a new modified one?

The current breather is doing what it is suppose to do i.e. getting rid of any excessive oil.
A breathers job is purely to do this, breath !.
It is not designed to be some sort of an “overflow” pipe.
What type of of a statement is that !.
A petrol tank has a breather pipe on the fuel tank, but it NOT designed as an overflow pipe.

Hi,

News from France,

So, for the second times my MG4 is blocked at the dealer. First times 155 miles with oil leak, MG france had said stop the car.
Today, an appointment for trace of oil, so MG france say to stop the car again with 860 miles

it's complety different than MG UK because you can drive the car.

No estimated times for the repair, but they said a new parts is planned. I Hope it's the same parts than yours which is planned for the middle of november.

But i'm very angry, it's a really bad start for my part.

100% wrong.
Yep...I have never heard of excess oil being expelled out under any vehicle EV or ICE. Excess water maybe from air cond. or coolant overflow, but not oil.
I read somewhere that even a demo model in the UK had oil under it on a polished showroom floor and I doubt your relatives would be overjoyed at seeing oil on their driveway from your brand new car after your visit.
There have been many complaints on this forum alone and not all owners are forum contributors so obviously there would be many more owner complaints elsewhere so a recall is warranted in my opinion.
I wonder if this has been addressed and resolved in China where most MG4's reside?

Last edited:
I don’t know if this has any bearing on the claim of excess oil been the cause but when I took mine in the second time for the leak checking, the mechanic had spoken to the mechanic who had fixed my wife’s car, to see if they had done anything different, and was told that they had to put more oil into her car to get it to the new recommended level not take it out. Go figure - doesn’t exactly fit with the they will find their own level theory.

I have seen quite a few comments regarding whether there are leaks on the Chinese cars, i.e Mulan.
Supposedly due to them being available for quite a while over there.

For those commenting as such, according to online reports the Mulan was only released in China on the 13th September, so only a couple of weeks before the UK model hit the dealers.
So not sure where the whole available for quite a while comes from, but that is clearly not the case.

As to whether they have issues over there, that is actually unknown, they may have a different mechanical set up for the Mulan compared to the MG4 as some markets do..
Also China do tend to have a habit of keeping things under wraps to save face somewhat, so who knows.

Also according to reports, MG apparently don't sell well in China so it may not be as widely spread as we think over there either.

I had my first oil spots at around 250 miles, currently done just shy of 1000 miles and I have no further leaks from the car, meaning its either found a level or its empty.

Either way MG and my dealer have said the car is fine to drive and as such has been totally fine for the last 700 miles or so, hopefully we will get a better idea once the new part arrives in the coming weeks.

They are aware of the situation and will implement a fix, it would be Brand suicide if they don't.
MG had a bad reputation in the old MG/Rover Days and its taken a long time to effectively get over that stigma, I don't believe they will go down the route of tarnishing the brand going forward.

And as for issues, I dropped onto an ID3 forum tonight while searching for MG4 stuff as someone had posted about the oil leak issue etc on there.

Jeez I am so glad I didn't go down that route, the ID3 sounds an absolute nightmare.
Some people have been waiting since Jun for new 12V batteries and Software updates.

plus lots of other issues - see here

So its not just MG that are having issues and thankfully ours seem much better cars than the ID3 looks to be and MG are being reactive and hopefully we'll get things sorted quickly.

Unlike VW are doing with their customers.

Last edited:
I have seen quite a few comments regarding whether there are leaks on the Chinese cars, i.e Mulan.
Supposedly due to them being available for quite a while over there.

For those commenting as such, according to online reports the Mulan was only released in China on the 13th September, so only a couple of weeks before the UK model hit the dealers.
So not sure where the whole available for quite a while comes from, but that is clearly not the case.
According to this report and I have seen similar reports, the MG4 (Mulan) was released for sale in China back in June and the first batch of 1,000 were sent to Europe in July so based on that there would be a heck of a lot of them in China by now and that is why the question was raised here about possible oil leak complaints there.
The launch you speak of on 13th September was the launch of the MG4 from China to other countries including the UK. It had already been selling in China for around 3 months at that time and over 4 months now.

Last edited:
I told you Crawfyp earlier in this thread this was what he would do I had this kind of BS off him18 months Ago over the 5 roof rails and then he just cut me off.
Les.
Yep. You can tell immediately from his replies that he clearly has no clue and also no interest in being helpful. He was defensive and combative from the outset with an inability to answer simple questions. I think he should consider a career change. Politician might be a good fit.

Yep. You can tell immediately from his replies that he clearly has no clue and also no interest in being helpful. He was defensive and combative from the outset with an inability to answer simple questions. I think he should consider a career change. Politician might be a good fit.
It always amazes me that they tend to put people in these jobs, who probably have never work on, or under a car in their lives !.
Dealers are similar with respect to some of the service booking teams.
You sit at there desk and explain the problem you have with your car, they are likely have little to no real experience of how a car even works.
They write out the job sheet and expect the tech to make some kind of sense of your complaint from the info collected.
The tech reads the job card and scratches his / her head.
He then asks the service receptionist if they can expand on the customer complaint.
Which results in a shrug 🤷‍♂️ of the shoulders.
No wonder when you collect your car, it has a “No fault found” note written on the job sheet.
Another day lost at the dealership with no result !.
At one VAG dealership I used for a few years, the guy on the service desk was an X tech himself.
When I described a problem, he would say:-
“Yeah - I know what that will be, we will soon sort that out”.
That is the difference when you have somebody in the job who knows what they are talking about.
It saves time for both the owner and the dealer in the long run.

At one VAG dealership I used for a few years, the guy on the service desk was an X tech himself.
When I described a problem, he would say:-
“Yeah - I know what that will be, we will soon sort that out”.
That is the difference when you have somebody in the job who knows what they are talking about.
It saves time for both the owner and the dealer in the long run.
There used to be someone like that at an Austin Rover dealership I used. I'd go into the parts store, describe my problem and he'd tell me which part I needed. On a couple of occasions I thought you can't be serious, that part has nothing to do with the problem. But he was right.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 425 79.9%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 70 13.2%
  • No

Votes: 37 7.0%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back