MG4 Reduction Gearbox Oil Leak

I have seen an image of the new breather. It's a bit dark and heavy but certainly stops any problems :D
darth.jpg

Thought for today???
Thinking about the small amounts of oil that are coming from the breather do you think it could be happening when car is reversing?
You would think if the splash was present when driving forward it would be a constant leak and rapid drop in oil level. However if the splash is only catching the breather when reversing may account for those finding oil on their drives.
I wonder how many with oil on drive issues reverse their cars into the home charger?
Just a thought?

Update from me. Noticed the oil leak after about 1000 miles. Contacted dealer. Had it in to drain and refill to lower level and passed it fit for me to drive. I got home and noticed I still had a trail of oil on the bottom. They told me it is normal that any residual oil left in the breather system from the original fault may have just been expelled on my way home. Please monitor and feedback. I cleaned everything off, and have monitored it since. It hasn’t leaked since as far as I can tell

I had same the day after it was done but nothing since, was told when they reinspected it that it could also have been oil missed when they cleaned it up - the top of the lip at the rear of the main cover (that the cover attaches to) looked like it could have easily been missed as the gap is only a inch or so high also there are a few places on the motor housing that looked like a small puddle of oil could have been lurking in.

Thought for today???
Thinking about the small amounts of oil that are coming from the breather do you think it could be happening when car is reversing?
You would think if the splash was present when driving forward it would be a constant leak and rapid drop in oil level. However if the splash is only catching the breather when reversing may account for those finding oil on their drives.
I wonder how many with oil on drive issues reverse their cars into the home charger?
Just a thought?
Unless you reverse very fast, I would think there would be less splash while reversing.

Unless you reverse very fast, I would think there would be less splash while reversing.
If it helps I have noticed a lot less splash while taking a leak while walking backwards than when walking forward. Maybe if I had a bigger 'breather' this wouldn't be an issue?

If it helps I have noticed a lot less splash while taking a leak while walking backwards than when walking forward. Maybe if I had a bigger 'breather' this wouldn't be an issue?
I'm sure wind speed and direction would also have a bearing on the effective range

I see on FB that people are still collecting cars. Does that mean that the statement regarding fitting the new breather to all cars is not true? Why would they carry on releasing cars just to bring them back in within a week or two ?

I see on FB that people are still collecting cars. Does that mean that the statement regarding fitting the new breather to all cars is not true? Why would they carry on releasing cars just to bring them back in within a week or two ?
If they haven’t been driven, having the corrected oil level results in no leaks I believe. Breather mods should just be a belts and braces.

If they haven’t been driven, having the corrected oil level results in no leaks I believe. Breather mods should just be a belts and braces.
So that means running the gearbox with less oil than it should have in it ? The correct amount is 0.9 l the refill I believe is 0.7 l. I thought the modified breather would allow for the right amount of oil without leaking.

So that means running the gearbox with less oil than it should have in it ? The correct amount is 0.9 l the refill I believe is 0.7 l. I thought the modified breather would allow for the right amount of oil without leaking.
That is if it has been printed correctly in the owners manual.

I was just trying to find out if what was published about fitting the modified breather to all cars was true or not ? It put my mind at rest , but know I don't know. They need to fix it not put less oil in.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 493 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back