MG4 Reduction Gearbox Oil Leak

Hello all,

Just signed up to the forum: 14 month MG5 LR driver that I've traded in for a Trophy MG4 that I'm due to collect this coming Saturday - must be a 2nd UK batch car. Have read all the posts re oil leak and been in communication with my dealer (Hendy) over the past fortnight errr shall I say "challenging" them on their thoughts and perspectives on this; they playing down a little just how widespread the problem is stating they are following MG advice / bulletins........ that I have not had sight of.

Have weighed everything up and decided I'll go ahead with the purchase (PCP) this coming weekend. Had asked to have a workshop underbody inspection as part of my receipt process of the car but told due to insurances etc. I'm not permitted in the workshop; as a compromise they'll provide me a video similar to that I'm sure many of us have had when getting our cars serviced; can also look out for the underbody bulge that I've factored into my discussions with my sales contact. Have stated I'm aware of my rights and obligations under the Consumer Rights Act so covering all the bases. I've today emailed asking if they intend to do an oil drain and measure as part of their PDI; will see what they say.

I average 250 miles per week, so the rest of November will be errrr 'interesting' 🤞
My dealer was more than happy for me to go over the car in the showroom with this members’ produced checklist. I would have done the same with the demonstrator, but it was raining and the car park was all wet and muddy. I’ll be doing the same when I take delivery of my own car. My dealer is aware of all the issues and is doing extended PDIs and was surprised to hear some dealers had released cars with undertray bolts not sufficiently tightened enough.
Checklist

Hello all,

Just signed up to the forum: 14 month MG5 LR driver that I've traded in for a Trophy MG4 that I'm due to collect this coming Saturday - must be a 2nd UK batch car. Have read all the posts re oil leak and been in communication with my dealer (Hendy) over the past fortnight errr shall I say "challenging" them on their thoughts and perspectives on this; they playing down a little just how widespread the problem is stating they are following MG advice / bulletins........ that I have not had sight of.

Have weighed everything up and decided I'll go ahead with the purchase (PCP) this coming weekend. Had asked to have a workshop underbody inspection as part of my receipt process of the car but told due to insurances etc. I'm not permitted in the workshop; as a compromise they'll provide me a video similar to that I'm sure many of us have had when getting our cars serviced; can also look out for the underbody bulge that I've factored into my discussions with my sales contact. Have stated I'm aware of my rights and obligations under the Consumer Rights Act so covering all the bases. I've today emailed asking if they intend to do an oil drain and measure as part of their PDI; will see what they say.

I average 250 miles per week, so the rest of November will be errrr 'interesting' 🤞
Hi Lee, You seem to have this covered and I hope you have a positive experience with the car. From what everyone says it is a great car , but this oil leak situation has IMHO not been handled well. Anyway all the best and here's hoping all is well. Please keep us posted.

My dealer was more than happy for me to go over the car in the showroom with this members’ produced checklist. I would have done the same with the demonstrator, but it was raining and the car park was all wet and muddy. I’ll be doing the same when I take delivery of my own car. My dealer is aware of all the issues and is doing extended PDIs and was surprised to hear some dealers had released cars with undertray bolts not sufficiently tightened enough.
Checklist
👍thanks downloaded; will advance send to dealer declaring want to go through on Saturday

From another thread. It's unclear whether "the salesman" meant the oil reduction fix or the breather fix.

A bit more communication would help. The modified breather wasn't supposed to be available until next week.
I've been told that my MG4, due for collection this week, will have both the oil level and the breather fix applied. I was given the option, that I have opted for, to take delivery prior to this if the new breather isn't available before collection.
I've seen other deliveries not sure what other people who have recently taken delivery have been told.

Hi Lee, You seem to have this covered and I hope you have a positive experience with the car. From what everyone says it is a great car , but this oil leak situation has IMHO not been handled well. Anyway all the best and here's hoping all is well. Please keep us posted.
Here's hoping too (obviously 😄) dealer has just one SE 1st batch demo with something like 600-800 miles to date with they say no oil leak observed so far..... they've sold 4 or 5 first batch MG4's with apparently no report of problem from any of them - that is if they know to look or check of course 🤷🏻

Here's hoping too (obviously 😄) dealer has just one SE 1st batch demo with something like 600-800 miles to date with they say no oil leak observed so far..... they've sold 4 or 5 first batch MG4's with apparently no report of problem from any of them - that is if they know to look or check of course 🤷🏻
I think that is part of the problem. How many people have actually looked under thier brand new car for an oil leak ? Not something you would do unless you knew there was a problem.

There's a spanish vid on the u tube where they have a 4 up on ramps with good footage of the motor, must have a hunt.

I'd love to see that video. I'm still confused as to the point of a new breather is if the level reduction is an acceptable long term fix.

Think this is the one I was remembering, shame I don't speak a lick of spanish.
Good footage of the front struts and rear motor cradle / suspension.

On the face of it, doesn't seem shoddily engineered, that fully independent rear end makes the crude twist beam on my Leon look like something from fisher price !

Plenty of green marks on fixings to show they've been tightened correctly, big square one at bottom of diff housing is clearly a drain plug but I couldn't spot the fill one.

There's a way to get auto-translate on YouTube ... search this board as it has been explained before.

Spotted the fill/ level plug at 3.12 and again at 3.35, has the green marking, looks like a torx or multi spline head.
Lines up with the bottom of the diff output seals / inner cv joints so entirely standard in that regard.

Big question is, does it take 700 or 900ml to fill this space ?

Messing around with oil levels is beginning to smell like a bodge though, there should be no need for it, the oil should be filled till it trickles from that top hole you're filling through . The end !!!!

Drain?

MG4 Gearbox Drain.JPG

Fill/Level?

MG4 Gearbox Fill-Level.jpg

Yep, sure looks like it to me. The big square one is definitely the drain IMO. On really close inspection, there seems to be two of the brass washered fill plugs - if that's what they are.
Now, if they're on the same level maybe its just for convenience, fill through one and wait till it oozes from t'other.
On your still, it really looks like they're on different levels, maybe we've found the reason for the oil gate scandal ? is there 200ml difference 'tween the 2 holes ? :unsure:

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 512 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 87 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back