MG4 Reduction Gearbox Oil Leak

The video certainly gives me some confidence about quality of the manufacturing process, including quality control. Maybe some of the cheaper parts supplied could be better made (plastic splash guard for example) but on the whole, impressive 👍

Yep, that's what I thought. The whole rear suspension / motor assembly goes in at once on the line by the looks of it, pretty cool design.
Can see the battery too, looks to be in an alloy casing rather than stamped steel.
Not looking too shabby for a 'cheapie' overall.

This vid from James and Kate shows that the front end is well laid out too. My 9yr old daughter could easily change the pollen filter (5:40) so I'll be interested to see the dealer price for that item fitted cometh the time :rolleyes:

Both are an educated guess Les.
The filling point doesn't have to be that big if you think about it. Just big enough to take the flexible tube from a bottle of gear oil.
A better alternative appears on the graphic below but it wasn't visible in the video.

MG4 Reduction Gearbox Fill Point.jpg

The filling point doesn't have to be that big if you think about it. Just big enough to take the flexible tube from a bottle of gear oil.
A better alternative appears on the graphic below but it wasn't visible in the video.

View attachment 12573
Yeh that is very probably it thanks
Les

View attachment 12573
That certainly looks like a better candidate for the fill hole, they're usually large and obvious.
No way that's the fill level though, it's either a measured amount or it's one of those brass washered torx / multi spline fixings IMO.

Following up on my post #1150 here response yesterday from my Hendy sales contact to my request asking were they intending to do an oil drain measurement and refill:

Screenshot_20221108_183445_Gmail.jpg

Hmmm "by the numbers it seems", yet to receive the workshop underbody inspection video - to be fair my sales contact has been a decent guy (bought my MG5 through him) so will give them the benefit of the doubt for this video to arrive until around Thursday say lunchtime I guess  then I'll be chasing 😉

Hello all, just registered on here and have been reading this thread with interest over the past few weeks. I'm due to collect my MG4 (Volcano Orange Trophy) on Friday 11th Nov (finally!) The dealer has said all the issues that have been discussed (oil leak, undertray bulge, software etc) will be picked up on the PDI but I'll post again when I've collected the car with my observations :) .

Hello all, just registered on here and have been reading this thread with interest over the past few weeks. I'm due to collect my MG4 (Volcano Orange Trophy) on Friday 11th Nov (finally!) The dealer has said all the issues that have been discussed (oil leak, undertray bulge, software etc) will be picked up on the PDI but I'll post again when I've collected the car with my observations :) .
Congrats on picking up your car on Friday
i got mine today (actually my 2nd as first was rejected)
New dealer told me they hadn’t had any with an oil leak
well guess what they have now…
typical sales bullshit, even after I told him I’d already rejected one car.

hope you get one issue free
you’ll be the first if you do.
no big deal though as they will get sorted at some point soon, once the new breathers arrive etc.

typical sales bullsh*t, even after I told him I’d already rejected one car.

no big deal though as they will get sorted at some point soon, once the new breathers arrive etc.
Cheers mate fingers crossed. I'm not overly concerned as I see them as minor niggles that will get sorted sooner or later (I hope!). My dealer has been fairly good, I just expected to get my car sooner given that I 'pre-ordered' before the pre-order book was even officially open. But I think that is just down to the bizarre way MG has dealt with the initial allocation of MG4s and nothing to do with my dealer.

typical sales bullsh*t, even after I told him I’d already rejected one car.

Jester27 are you saying the new car you got today has got the oil leak ?
Les

Jester27 are you saying the new car you got today has got the oil leak ?
Les
Yep 🤦🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️
So much for the PDI process !
And I just read that someone has newer software on their SE too that fixes the android auto message, which mine still has too.
Annoyed is an understatement

Last edited:
Yep 🤦🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️
So much for the PDI process !
And I just read that someone has newer software on their SE too that fixes the android auto message, which mine still has too.
Annoyed is an understatement
OMG....starting to have second thoughts about ordering one of these now.
What are the odds of you getting a new replacement car with the same issues as the new one you returned?
Thay are aware of problems, especially oil leak issues so I cannot understand why the heck they are they still supplying new cars without updates and the oil leak fix.
Perhaps they look under the car to see if there is any oil residue on the floor/ground even though it hasn't been driven yet.
There seems to a few different fixes regarding oil leaks depending on who you speak to but unless something is done soon they will soon carry the 'lemon' description.
Most MG4's might be fine but it only takes a small percentage of them to have the same issues and they will all be tarred with same brush.

Last edited:
OMG....starting to have second thoughts about ordering one of these now.
What are the odds of you getting a new replacement car with the same issues as the new one you returned?
Thay are aware of problems, especially oil leak issues so I cannot understand why the heck they are they still supplying new cars without updates and the oil leak fix.
Perhaps they look under the car to see if there is any oil residue on the floor/ground even though it hasn't been driven yet.
There seems to a few different fixes regarding oil leaks depending on who you speak to but unless something is done soon they will soon carry the 'lemon' description.
Most MG4's might be fine but it only takes a small percentage of them to have the same issues and they will all be tarred with same brush.
There was only ever one way to deal with this problem and that was to apply the modified breather to all cars whether or not they had actually leaked. Simply because there is a chance they will all leak. It will ruin thier reputation if they carry on with this head in the sand approach. Just fix them and that'll be that.

Last edited:
Following up on my post #1150 here response yesterday from my Hendy sales contact to my request asking were they intending to do an oil drain measurement and refill:

View attachment 12578

Hmmm "by the numbers it seems", yet to receive the workshop underbody inspection video - to be fair my sales contact has been a decent guy (bought my MG5 through him) so will give them the benefit of the doubt for this video to arrive until around Thursday say lunchtime I guess  then I'll be chasing 😉
Hello All,

UPDATE:
As per agreed compromise, i.e. I was not allowed to be present due to insurances, 2 min underside inspection video received yesterday of my Red Trophy - a little unclear in places due to workshop lighting but overall seems OK no sign of any oil or bulge (for sure car will just have delivery miles). So with the check list sent by a forum member in hand I'm trading in my MG5 LR and collecting my MG4 this Saturday morning 🤞

Pity, of course it's a nice/happy (call it what you will) time to collect a new car but it is being tinged with some trepidation
2022-11-10_082451.jpg
2022-11-10_083017.jpg

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 543 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums