MG4 Reduction Gearbox Oil Leak

I was just trying to find out if what was published about fitting the modified breather to all cars was true or not ? It put my mind at rest , but know I don't know. They need to fix it not put less oil in.
It is not clear. Originally MG said it would only be put on cars that had the leak (which is apparently not most cars according to them). More recently we are hearing of some dealers fitting to all new cars but that is not confirmed. Communication has been very poor.

My salesman said they had a new 5 but it was being prepped as it had just been delivered. He said all the 4's on their site had been modified with the new breather pipe plus most of the cars they had sold.

From another thread. It's unclear whether "the salesman" meant the oil reduction fix or the breather fix.

A bit more communication would help. The modified breather wasn't supposed to be available until next week.

From another thread. It's unclear whether "the salesman" meant the oil reduction fix or the breather fix.

A bit more communication would help. The modified breather wasn't supposed to be available until next week.
Yes. There have been reports of some dealers fitting their own breather fix.

Everything keeps coming back to communication (or lack off it!) This should have had a standard response coordinated by MG UK through the dealers, the dealers have been hung out to dry a bit!
Although some dealers appear to have only added to the issue by doing their own impersonation of MG UK's crap comms, I kind of feel sorry for the good dealers, they could suffer along with the rest.

I just hope that by the time my car arrives , they have finally nailed it as I do not want a new car that drops oil and I don't want to have to go back to the dealer with a new car that drops oil. This is 2022 not 1975.
100% the thing is those of us, on here, that know about the issue will still be checking our cars when they come, just in case! That's a poor situation, also no one will be sure it is definitely the fix it needs and every car has had it.

Last edited:
@AndyL61 and @Leni16

FWIW the oil leak was a known thing when I picked up my car, but the dealer released the car unmodified (there was no official advice to do otherwise from MG at that point). I checked carefully before and after my drive home (about 150 miles), and there was nothing. The leak first appeared after a three hour cross-country drive (it was winding, undulating roads but my Wife was in the car and drove about half of it) at about 500 miles in total.
A reduced oil level and a good clean and its not been seen since.
So just be careful to keep looking, if it isn't there when you pick it up there's no guarantee that it'll not appear later, so keep checking.
The oil can appear from either side of the undertray and there's no easy way to see the breather in situ, so the delay is not unexpected. I don't understand the mechanism that caused the issue on a lower speed run - the twisty roads clearly did something that constant (relatively) high speed didn't.

Last edited:
@AndyL61 and @Leni16

FWIW the oil leak was a known thing when I picked up my car, but the dealer released the car unmodified (there was no official advice to do otherwise from MG at that point). I checked carefully before and after my drive home (about 150 miles), and there was nothing. The leak first appeared after a three hour cross-country drive (it was winding, undulating roads but my Wife was in the car and drove about half of it) at about 500 miles in total.
A reduced oil level and a good clean and its not been seen since.
So just be careful to keep looking, if it isn't there when you pick it up there's no guarantee that it'll not appear later, so keep checking.
The oil can appear from either side of the undertray and there's no easy way to see the breather in situ, so the delay is not unexpected. I don't understand the mechanism that caused the issue on a lower speed run - the twisty roads clearly did something that constant (relatively) high speed didn't.
My take on it is that it is a design issue and therefore all cars will probably suffer from it but it will depend how much it is driven and maybe for how long it is driven (hotter it gets , thinner the oil). So reducing the oil quantity would certainly reduce the chance of it happening. However this is only if the reduced quantity is not detrimental to the life of the internal components. I know MG do not want to admit to it being a design issue , so the idea of modifying the breather to prevent the oil leaking and allowing it to fall back into the casing is probably the easiest(and cheapest) solution. But I do feel for peace of mind for the customer, this modified breather should be fitted to all cars . That way the chance of any oil leaking is reduced and customer satisfaction and re assurance is improved. This car is important to MG and they can't afford to cock it up for the price of a modified breather.

So that means running the gearbox with less oil than it should have in it ? The correct amount is 0.9 l the refill I believe is 0.7 l. I thought the modified breather would allow for the right amount of oil without leaking.
Surely the manufacturer is allowed to respec the quantity of oil needed for something. Who are we to argue when they are offering a 7 year warranty on it 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Surely the manufacturer is allowed to respec the quantity of oil needed for something. Who are we to argue when they are offering a 7 year warranty on it 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️
If it truly is 0.7 litres fair enough, do the component manufacturers state this ? Who fills the things in the first place, is it done on completion of the car ?
I'd like to know just what is lubricated by the oil, as it's 'non conductive' I presume it makes its way round the motor bearings and possibly stator as well as the reduction box.
Seems like a tiny amount for all those jobs but the less the better for reducing drag I guess :unsure:

If it truly is 0.7 litres fair enough, do the component manufacturers state this ? Who fills the things in the first place, is it done on completion of the car ?
I'd like to know just what is lubricated by the oil, as it's 'non conductive' I presume it makes its way round the motor bearings and possibly stator as well as the reduction box.
Seems like a tiny amount for all those jobs but the less the better for reducing drag I guess :unsure:
The new 0.7 ltr figure was decided by the gearbox manufacturer after MG consulted with them.

Unless the design of this gearbox is different to just about every other car I've ever seen (EV included), the correct level is determined by the physical location of the level/filler plug. It sits on the side of the gearbox at a height which will correspond with the oil level reached when the box is filled with the design quantity of oil (0.9 litres in our case). Filling and checking the oil level becomes a simple matter of opening the plug and squeezing in oil till it starts to run out. At that point you will have exactly the right quantity of oil in accordance with the design. You can no longer do this if you arbitrarily change the design oil quantity.

Unless the design of this gearbox is different to just about every other car I've ever seen (EV included), the correct level is determined by the physical location of the level/filler plug. It sits on the side of the gearbox at a height which will correspond with the oil level reached when the box is filled with the design quantity of oil (0.9 litres in our case). Filling and checking the oil level becomes a simple matter of opening the plug and squeezing in oil till it starts to run out. At that point you will have exactly the right quantity of oil in accordance with the design. You can no longer do this if you arbitrarily change the design oil quantity.
Indeed. That would put my mind at rest, but how on earth did they get the extra 200ml in then ?

Hello all,

Just signed up to the forum: 14 month MG5 LR driver that I've traded in for a Trophy MG4 that I'm due to collect this coming Saturday - must be a 2nd UK batch car. Have read all the posts re oil leak and been in communication with my dealer (Hendy) over the past fortnight errr shall I say "challenging" them on their thoughts and perspectives on this; they playing down a little just how widespread the problem is stating they are following MG advice / bulletins........ that I have not had sight of.

Have weighed everything up and decided I'll go ahead with the purchase (PCP) this coming weekend. Had asked to have a workshop underbody inspection as part of my receipt process of the car but told due to insurances etc. I'm not permitted in the workshop; as a compromise they'll provide me a video similar to that I'm sure many of us have had when getting our cars serviced; can also look out for the underbody bulge that I've factored into my discussions with my sales contact. Have stated I'm aware of my rights and obligations under the Consumer Rights Act so covering all the bases. I've today emailed asking if they intend to do an oil drain and measure as part of their PDI; will see what they say.

I average 250 miles per week, so the rest of November will be errrr 'interesting' 🤞

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 513 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 87 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back