MG4 Reduction Gearbox Oil Leak

I’m sorry but this is simply not true

View attachment 12732
As the DB5 has an "old British engine", the noted automotive expert, Dr T Mater has this to say:-

679b1d59-6399-4ad9-92f4-64bbf3240140_text.gif

Just emailed my dealer saying that I'd like the modified breather fitted before I collect the car, rather than waiting for my drive to be stained and having to take it back. I'd rather be proactive and try and prevent it from happening in the first place.

I'll see how they respond. My car hasn't arrived yet, unless it has and they haven't told me, so it should be possible to do the mod before handover.
Just to follow up on this, the dealer has responded with this:

"I've just had a chat with my boss and apparently this is something that is done, and sorted, before it gets to us. Again, I will have our technicians look back over this issue to double check and make sure it is okay to be released."

Where are you seeing the oil? Is it possible they did a poor clean up job on the tray or are you seeing drips on the drive?
Shall be checking, I hope it’s residual but I don’t think so as when I ran my finger along the undertray it felt oily (fresh)

I’ve had the new breather fitted and I think my car is still leaking, back to dealer
Very interested in what happened with dealer when you raised that the issue may be recurring. I only ask as i am waiting to pick up my new Trophy until the breather pipe part is installed per dealer’s instigation.

🤣
I've worked in F1 engine design and know of plenty of other examples where it wasn't true as well :D

Agreed. My 1925 Renault is designed to be filled until the excess drips out onto the road. Likewise the far more advanced 1930 racecar in my shed that was designed to do the same at LeMans, although in the pits. Mind you, most roads and the LeMans pits weren't sealed surfaces in those days so the oil soaked in.....

Hmmmm so don't want to say botch job but yeah its been a botch job from start to finish. Someone needs to raise with motoring press/Which and get a flame lit under MG to get things resolved properly as clearly they are not doing.

Is there a part number for the spare part so that it can also be ordered in Germany. my MG4 is also leaking. My dealer has no way of getting hold of the part at the moment.

You know, after reading about this breather pipe so much, I've come to love it via overexposure. So much so that even though I haven't got an MG4, when the part number for it becomes available, I might buy the infamous part myself and maybe lock it in a cupboard, given there's a good chance in the future it may become as famous and profitable as Maradona's' hand of God' football shirt.

You know, after reading about this breather pipe so much, I've come to love it via overexposure. So much so that even though I haven't got an MG4, when the part number for it becomes available, I might buy the infamous part myself and maybe lock it in a cupboard, given there's a good chance in the future it may become as famous and profitable as Maradona's' hand of God' football shirt.
But it needs to be used. Maradona's shirt wouldn't have been worth as much if had just come out of the packet :ROFLMAO:

How many people are still waiting for parts to carry out the 'fix', is there an availability issue or is my dealer just dragging this out?

How many people are still waiting for parts to carry out the 'fix', is there an availability issue or is my dealer just dragging this out?
I’m still waiting. My dealer said MG had told dealer aftermarket salesperson one thing about part availability and posting/couriering, then changed the ETA when it didn’t arrive when expected. Go MG!

Shall be checking, I hope it’s residual but I don’t think so as when I ran my finger along the undertray it felt oily (fresh)
Hi, any update if new type breather is good to go?? Or can you confirm it is also leaking?

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 507 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back