MG4 Reduction Gearbox Oil Leak

Mine is getting breather fitted 29/11, which is a pain but I need a loan car.
That will be 24 days after I collected it, and I’ll be keeping a close eye.
Any sign of further leaks and I’m rejecting, had enough of this and the rumbling/vibration which I’ve had zero feedback from MG on.

I’m still waiting. My dealer said MG had told dealer aftermarket salesperson one thing about part availability and posting/couriering, then changed the ETA when it didn’t arrive when expected. Go MG!
My ordered Breather Pipe part arrived at my dealer (for my yet-to-be-collected new Trophy) today.

Took the car back on Monday 17/10/2022.left with dealer to check leak and carry out oil drain and refill. They then road tested car for 2 days and leak re appaired. Given MG5 courtesy car. Left car to await MG response. New breather pipe fitted on Thursday 10/11/2022.collected car on Friday 11/11/2022 travelled over 400 miles in the last 6 days mostly 60-70mph motorway and some short city trips. Pic of breather was taken today totally dry all around breather no leaks anywhere will recheck next week. Fantastic service from Holden MG Norwich .

Attachments

• 20221116_154459.jpg
    20221116_154459.jpg
    430 KB · Views: 1,601
Took the car back on Monday 17/10/2022.left with dealer to check leak and carry out oil drain and refill. They then road tested car for 2 days and leak re appaired. Given MG5 courtesy car. Left car to await MG response. New breather pipe fitted on Thursday 10/11/2022.collected car on Friday 11/11/2022 travelled over 400 miles in the last 6 days mostly 60-70mph motorway and some short city trips. Pic of breather was taken today totally dry all around breather no leaks anywhere will recheck next week. Fantastic service from Holden MG Norwich .
That's great to hear
🤞🏻All should be good now then.
Just the software issues to resolve for everyone

Just had the new breather fitted in our car and had an interesting chat with the service manager. He said that the top of the breather was dry and the oil was coming out of the thread of the breather tube, he also noted lack of any thread sealing material. He thought that some thread seal would have solved the issue on our car.

Hi all just had my weekly check on the oil leak poll, total votes today stands at
70 that’s 8 more than last week.

33 have not seen any oil leaks up 1 from last week

6 had a leak from being over filled same as last week.

31 have a leak but don’t know where it’s from that’s UP 7 from last week ☹️

So yesterday I check my wife’s MG4 SE SR again she has now done 550 miles mostly short journeys But two of 60 miles or so but no sign of any leaks as yet.🤫
Les

Good stuff

Hi baz I see your picture can you tell me how you got this shot i:e was you under the car on you back or some other way
Les

@Baz Thank you for the comprehensive write up and the picture. (y)
@stevemc Interesting theory about the leak around the thread.
I have to call that modification what it is - a true bodge worthy of BL in the 1970s. 😱 I love the attention to detail - two right angled bends, a stamped bracket with Terry clip to hold the assembly, the use of aluminium braid covered tube for no purpose other than look tarty (or because they had some lying around), and the reuse of the original breather. Fantastic!
It's good that MG avoided the temptation to go vertically up between the HV cables.
Still, if it works I'll not be complaining. In fact, I may join @4ND in buying one as a talking point.

@Baz Thank you for the comprehensive write up and the picture. (y)
@stevemc Interesting theory about the leak around the thread.
I have to call that modification what it is - a true bodge worthy of BL in the 1970s. 😱 I love the attention to detail - two right angled bends, a stamped bracket with Terry clip to hold the assembly, the use of aluminium braid covered tube for no purpose other than look tarty (or because they had some lying around), and the reuse of the original breather. Fantastic!
It's good that MG avoided the temptation to go vertically up between the HV cables.
Still, if it works I'll not be complaining. In fact, I may join @4ND in buying one as a talking point.
- a true bodge worthy of BL in the 1970s. 😱

Has the old saying goes— they don’t build them like they use to
Maybe MG are trying their very best to prove that wrong LOL
Les

Yes I jacked the car up and laid underneath it you can see the pipe and just about get your phone up near it to take a picture. Cheers Baz
Thanks Baz can I ask which side did you jack up you don’t say I’m trying to find where this breather is, I have been under the car but can’t see anything only a big bulge in the tray so if I can find where to look I can keep an eye on it.
Les

Thanks Baz can I ask which side did you jack up you don’t say I’m trying to find where this breather is, I have been under the car but can’t see anything only a big bulge in the tray so if I can find where to look I can keep an eye on it.
Les
Nearside but will jackup both sides next time to make it easier trust me if it leaks you will se it. To be fair to come up with a bodge sorry solution and design/manufacture/and supply in 2 weeks ain't bad. I would like to see other manufacturers do better. Been in the motor trade over 40 +years so seen a lot worse. Baz

Last edited:

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 507 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel