MG4 Reduction Gearbox Oil Leak

To avoid accusations of bias please can we have a “I still have the oil leak and a new breather didn't fix it” option? Hopefully it will remain unused and people will be able to select the more positive option.
I don’t understand why you think that is biased?? Either the breather fixes it or it doesn’t and if a leak occurs later, people can change their vote.

There is already a catch-all option for unknown cause, which is intended for anyone who doesn’t have a fix AND another option for a “more serious issue”.

I think it would over complicate it to do as you ask.

I've done about 1500 miles since having the breather fitted 10 days ago, believe I was one of the first, couldn't fault my dealer who bent over backwards getting me in the next day and their first one had just arrived so a case of being at the right place, right time all good so far 🤞

Last edited:
Update:
Hello All, picked up today. No surprises or nasties when running through the collection checklist shared by the forum (thanks again for sharing) - will be vigilant and eagle eyed in the coming few days of course.

Salesman had 4 other handovers today, 2 of which I think he said were MG4's.

Less than 10 miles home from dealer so going to get a few more miles clocked up before err my knees start getting dirty and damp each day 🙃😉

(had a 'mare getting iSmart set up, think I cracked it... will see if connection stays / remains stable in time to come)
UPDATE:

Hello all,

OK so first proper (dry) inspection 300 or so miles in and yep double whammy:

(i) There's an oil stain underneath / oily residue around the underbody panels - running my finger along the panel trailing edge there's oil there that for sure
(ii) Underbody panel bulge has developed

Both (not surprisingly) not visible on the pre-delivery inspection video I got the dealership to make prior to collecting the car 12th Nov (2nd UK batch car as far as I am aware)

Photos taken today and sent to my dealership sales guy contact - despite my pre-delivery correspondence of the existence of both problems he sounded genuinely surprised to hear the news from me today.

He reporting to Service Department and I await their plan of action.

p.s. have formally asked for their instruction(s) concerning continuing to drive the car pending remedials

Last edited:
UPDATE:

Hello all,

(i) There's an oil stain underneath / oily residue around the underbody panels - running my finger along the panel trailing edge there's oil there that for sure

Both (not surprisingly) not visible on the pre-delivery inspection video I got the dealership to make prior to collecting the car 12th Nov (2nd UK batch car as far as I am aware)

Photos taken today and sent to my dealership sales guy contact - despite my pre-delivery correspondence of the existence of both problems he sounded genuinely surprised to hear the news from me today.

p.s. have formally asked for their instruction(s) concerning continuing to drive the car pending remedials
I'm afraid this was always going to happen on a car which had not had the modified breather fitted. To me it is madness to keep on pretending that it "might not leak" , it probably will, so just fit the mod before releasing the cars . It's called common sense.

UPDATE:

Hello all,

I'm afraid this was always going to happen on a car which had not had the modified breather fitted. To me it is madness to keep on pretending that it "might not leak" , it probably will, so just fit the mod before releasing the cars . It's called common sense.
Could not agree more.
MG are more interested in penny pinching on a rubber angled hose assembly than keeping customers happy.
No cars should be released until the breather has been fitted.
They really should hold their hands up and just provide the part for every car made until they add it to production.
Doing so would protect against customer dissatisfaction and save their reputation by not having leaking cars on the market.
The annoyance is bad enough but if the environment types out there got hold of this and their polluting of the roads with oil etc they'd have a field day.
Also this time of year, as I know as a biker too.
Oil on a wet road is deadly.
I know it's a slow drip but even so..

It seems clear that the leak doesn’t show up until a few miles are on the car and perhaps the same with the bulge. In that case, the dealer can’t deal with it at PDI.

MG are maintaining that it is a small number of customers affected which is presumably why they are not doing it for all. We genuinely don’t know if that’s true - our poll here will no doubt be biased by people coming to the forum with help for problems.

I agree it would be better if they did a recall for both issues.

Could not agree more.
MG are more interested in penny pinching on a rubber angled hose assembly than keeping customers happy.
No cars should be released until the breather has been fitted.
They really should hold their hands up and just provide the part for every car made until they add it to production.
Doing so would protect against customer dissatisfaction and save their reputation by not having leaking cars on the market.
The annoyance is bad enough but if the environment types out there got hold of this and their polluting of the roads with oil etc they'd have a field day.
Also this time of year, as I know as a biker too.
Oil on a wet road is deadly.
I know it's a slow drip but even so..
I'm a biker so couldn't agree more. The stance that it doesn't show up on a PDI just does not cut it. It might leak so make sure it won't!

I half expected these problems of course (heads or tails). I made that very "challenge" to the dealer of fitting the breather before collection before collecting on the 12th - 'that's not the instruction to dealers from MG' was the reply 🤷‍♂️ - gonna make them earn their corn 😠

I half expected these problems of course (heads or tails). I made that very "challenge" to the dealer of fitting the breather before collection before collecting on the 12th - 'that's not the instruction to dealers from MG' was the reply 🤷‍♂️ - gonna make them earn their corn 😠
Ridiculous response in my eyes, they know that this leak can happen on any car, sorry if I keep repeating myself, I suppose I,m thinking if I say it enough it might just happen.

If MG haven't authorised the activity for all vehicles then the dealer won't get paid for doing it - simple as that I guess.

Ridiculous response in my eyes, they know that this leak can happen on any car, sorry if I keep repeating myself, I suppose I,m thinking if I say it enough it might just happen.
Escalate to MG customer service as politely as you can. Head office is the only one that can change the policy. And if you speak to a muppet, hold your temper as getting into a slanging match will just get them to close ranks.

If MG haven't authorised the activity for all vehicles then the dealer won't get paid for doing it - simple as that I guess.
Yeah I understand the dealers have been thrown under the bus by MG. But surely someone at MG must have a bit more sense than to keep risking the reputation of their brand and ruining the launch of their most important car as the first MSP car.

Escalate to MG customer service as politely as you can. Head office is the only one that can change the policy. And if you speak to a muppet, hold your temper as getting into a slanging match will just get them to close ranks.
I haven't even got the car yet so I don't think they would listen to me. I'm just frustrated by the sheer stupidity of their response and actions.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 507 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back