MG4 Reduction Gearbox Oil Leak

If MG haven't authorised the activity for all vehicles then the dealer won't get paid for doing it - simple as that I guess.
True, but dealerships are more about money and getting paid. A typical dealership will want what's best for you, the buyer, even after you've handed over the money. Getting paid is typically well down on a dealership's priority list, certainly compared to ensuring happiness for their customers.

I have said this before on this thread but I was categorically told in an email from MG UK that on models yet to be built at the factory the modified breather will be rectified before they are placed on the ship. ( see below) That was on on 3rd November. I guess thise cars haven’t started coming through yet.

“MG's that are yet to be built at the factory in China will have the issue with the breather pipe rectified before they are placed on a ship.
Any vehicles that have already left the factory that present this concern will need rectification at an MG dealership once the vehicle arrives and the part is available.”

Not ours admittedly but if you would like a closer look at an EV Reduction Gearbox (Peugeot in this case):

Of particular interest was this bit:

prg.JPG

Got my replacement mg4 on the on the 11th so I have been looking under ever since and guess what it now leeks done 260ml so a phone call it is more oil on my drive
Apologies if I’ve missed it in a previous post, but did your replacement MG4 have the modified breather fitted?

Hi all here’s the weekly check on the oil leak poll
Today’s total votes stand 76 that’s up 6 from last week

36 do not have or have not seen an oil leak that’s up 3 from last week😊

7 had a leak from being overfilled up 1

33 have the leak but don’t know where from up 3😠

In the new Category
O I had the leak and it was fixed but the fitting of a new breather.

In the new Category
just updated mine, all looks good after new breather.

just updated mine, all looks good after new breather.
So perhaps the new breather is the solution. Initially MG were hesitant to fit them due to the expense involved apparently and were trying other fixes or bandaid solutions. Hopefully all new MG4's sold from now on whether awaiting delivery or on ships in transit will have the new modified breather and if not no doubt there will be hell to play.
I will be keen to hear from new owners here from now on who have just received their cars re any oil leaks as @Bonny 865 only got his replacement car as recently as 11th November and it is already leaking oil.

Last edited:

In the new Category
Please can everyone who has had the breather fix (and it worked) update your poll. Thank you.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 539 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back