MG4 Reduction Gearbox Oil Leak

And how many have had the breather mod fitted and it hasn't worked? ;) (Just asking for a friend)
I’m am willing to be convinced to add this but nobody replied when I questioned it before.

The poll is imperfect - it doesn’t let you change any of the options already used.

I’m keen it doesn’t become overcomplicated and there are options already for “unknown cause” or “more serious problem”.

I forget who, but someone said it was biased the way the new question was added, but they didn’t explain why they thought that when I asked.

If there’s a case to add this, I’d love to hear it.

So perhaps the new breather is the solution. Initially MG were hesitant to fit them due to the expense involved apparently and were trying other fixes or bandaid solutions. Hopefully all new MG4's sold from now on whether awaiting delivery or on ships in transit will have the new modified breather and if not no doubt there will be hell to play.
I will be keen to hear from new owners here from now on who have just received their cars re any oil leaks as @Bonny 865 only got his replacement car as recently as 11th November and it is already leaking oil.
I reported mine to my dealer as soon as I spotted it. They had it for a week and then let me continue to drive, while awaiting the new breather. I called this week, and was told it hadn’t been authorised by MG yet!
So will be pushing for some action next week, and still haven’t had my mats yet either, which were supposed to be in the post this week too.
Love the car but, the dealers and manufacturers are just appalling.

I reported mine to my dealer as soon as I spotted it. They had it for a week and then let me continue to drive, while awaiting the new breather. I called this week, and was told it hadn’t been authorised by MG yet!
So will be pushing for some action next week, and still haven’t had my mats yet either, which were supposed to be in the post this week too.
Love the car but, the dealers and manufacturers are just appalling.
I feel that as MGUK have said that new vehicles leaving the factory now will have the breather modification you have a right to have it fitted In retrospect. I will not be accepting my MG4 until it is done or has been done at the factory. I will also be expecting a flat undertray!!

I feel that as MGUK have said that new vehicles leaving the factory now will have the breather modification you have a right to have it fitted In retrospect. I will not be accepting my MG4 until it is done or has been done at the factory. I will also be expecting a flat undertray!!
Too right. I'm expecting a phone call to say my car has arrived in the next 2 or 3 weeks but no funds will be changing hands until the breather and undertray are satisfactory.

Queried with my dealer who said they spoke with MG UK. I've been told there is no oil in the car and no issues they are aware of. I was trying to save myself grief once the car arrives but appears I just need to wait for it!

Queried with my dealer who said they spoke with MG UK. I've been told there is no oil in the car and no issues they are aware of. I was trying to save myself grief once the car arrives but appears I just need to wait for it!
No oil ? that must be the new fix, if they don't put any oil in, none will leak out.

Queried with my dealer who said they spoke with MG UK. I've been told there is no oil in the car and no issues they are aware of. I was trying to save myself grief once the car arrives but ppears I just need to wait for it
This is my issue. Some people just want to bury their head in sand and act like no issues exist when it's out there.
Even if it's only 20 cars that have issues as dealers they should be tuning in to the community to know these things.
I spoke to my sales executive after I ordered and joined here and saw issues and the way he laughed at the suggestion of oil leak and berated whoever told me as EVs don't use oil spoke more about his own ignorance.
A wise man once said don't argue with fools, cos people from a distance can't tell who is who.
I decided to do my due diligence and explore my options without slanging with him.

There appears to only be two options for people who experience the oil leak up to now:
  • Put up with it trusting that MG will come up with a cure and apply it to your car retrospectively
  • Reject the car whilst it is still easy to do - it gets harder after 30 days
The question is do you trust MG? Like a number of manufacturers their record is inconsistent, and the lack of communication doesn't inspire confidence.

Both of mine must have just had weak bladders then.
Jeez come on...
No oil... Brilliant 🤣
1000001655.jpg

The lack of basic technical knowledge amongst sales staff re EV's is kinda depressing :confused:
I agree. My father was a senior car salesman for over 30 years and every time a new model came out he would spend hours reading the literature and even going on the introductory presentations for the mechanics (fitters for the youngsters among us) so he knew it inside out.

Well if you drive it around without the breather fix, this will become true. Then your dealer can explain why it won’t go any more!

Basic education that MG UK should ensure all dealers get as part of their franchise agreeement.

If it was my car that I was collecting, I would be saying to them, if it doesn't have the fix, I'm not collecting the car.
Hi I wish that was possible but as far as I can see no one either MG motors or dealers are not 100% sure what the fix is yet as several have had oil levels adjusted and some have had a breather changed and still have an issue. So we are not there yet up to now my wife’s appear to be find in regard to oil leaks but under constant monitoring by me
Les.

You can say that but at the end of the day, if there’s no fault on collection, you don’t have anything to stand on.
I still stand by the fact that if new cars now coming from the factory have the breather then a car with anything less is sub standard and therefore you can refuse it. Be interesting to get a legal stand point on that.
You can say that but at the end of the day, if there’s no fault on collection, you don’t have anything to stand on.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 535 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back