MG4 Reduction Gearbox Oil Leak

Car collected new 31st Oct, noticed oil leak after nearly two weeks and 600 miles. Dealer advised not to drive the 35 miles to them but call the AA (MG Assist). Very lucky to have a proactive old hand turn up. Jacked the car and removed NSR wheel, took the filler plug out of the reduction drive and dipped the oil, not a lot of oil evident so he declared it a recovery job, lifted the rear wheels and took it 35 miles to Hendy Exeter on 14th Nov.
Service manager very attentive, they'd not had a return at that point, didn't go refill route, waited for a modified breather kit and I collected the car 23rd Nov.
Raised a question WRT the rear tray bulge and the two red overheating messages in the app:
  • Bulge, Following inspection, they will have to wait for MG to come up with a solution as it cannot simply be re-seated.
  • App overheating messages, fault in the App, no fix other than await App update, no fault on the car.
As of yesterday I'd now covered a further 500 miles and wanted to inspect to ensure the leak had been cured. Raised the rear, and removed the four 10mm bolts at the very rear of the rear under tray, there is no need to remove the front bolts of the tray to gain access as there is plenty of room just to pull the rear down and gain access. Good news all oil free, I think I'll give it another 1,500 miles and have another look.
Whilst under there, and looking at that troublesome bulge - firstly mine isn't that significant, but whilst deciding whether to remove all eight bolts holding the tray on or just the rear ones, I had a good look at the front of the tray. The area about 150mm rear of where the bulge manifests itself has a solid structure pushing down on the tray slightly lower than the tray itself and this is the start of the bulge, the leading edge of the tray is not that rigid and its fixing bolts are spaced well apart in this area leading to the forming of the scoop. Clearly the design could have been better here, but, the rear of the car is not remotely sealed by this lower tray in the slightest as it is shaped by like a pair of Y-Fronts with the waist band across the back of the battery box and the Gusset !!! joining to the rear bumper. The rear wheels and suspension lower arms are in the area of the leg holes of said undergarment and so viewed from behind the motor/reduction drive are very open to the elements. My humble conclusion - whilst the bulge exhibits poor design it's not the end of the world and it would be 'nice' if there was a redesign but the amount of extra muck ingress into the rear cavity will not be significantly increased. As for its Aerodynamic impact, well it would be better not there but it's impact will vary with the size of your very own bulge!
Now before the comments start, yes you shouldn't have to do this on a new car and I am fortunate to be able to carry this out with minimal effort, but I do believe that '[Your] God helps those who help themselves'.
Other than this loving the car, great fun.

Last edited:
I've just removed all the off-topic stuff talking about undertray bulges. This thread is for discussion of the oil leak only. For the undertray issue, go here:

That’s mine booked in next Thursday (8th) to get the leak “looked” at.

Bear in mind this is less than 48 hours after collection and 40 miles on the clock! (And 9 of those were on it when I collected it).

They said they know of the issue but haven’t had one back yet with a leak to look at! Don’t believe that for a minute, considering the size of the garage (Arnold Clark Linwood), and that I mentioned to one of the sales guys weeks ago that there demo car and another (possibly customers) car in the car park were both leaking!!

Was advised it’s fine to drive.

Also highlighted that I’ve had an “Auto Hold Malfunction” error pop up twice when staring the car, although it is working and the dreaded bulge.

I could have had it in earlier, but need the courtesy car due to shifts.
same to me, picked the car on Tuesday 29th Nov, and notice oil leaking and bulge on Thursday morning.
Emailed the dealer last night and received phone call this morning, now the car booked in next Thursday 8th.
The service guy booked my car in for 2 days, let's see what they can do.

Last edited:
Checked just now and I can see some spots on my drive, and a smear running across the bottom of the rear undertray ... a hand test (and finger sniff 😂) informs me that it is gear oil. Time to call the dealer. 🙄
Sorry to hear the news. May I ask after how many miles did the oil leak manifest?

Why are MG sending out cars with a known fault? The issue isn't new or rare, and a fix exists (the breather modification, not the level reduction).
Given the other issue with the undertray bulge they should be taking the opportunity to rectify both at the same time before delivery.
Clearly it'll be a while before cars leaving China with this resolved arrive in the UK so MG need to decide whether the work should be done at the dock or at the dealers.

Why are MG sending out cars with a known fault? The issue isn't new or rare, and a fix exists (the breather modification, not the level reduction).
Given the other issue with the undertray bulge they should be taking the opportunity to rectify both at the same time before delivery.
Clearly it'll be a while before cars leaving China with this resolved arrive in the UK so MG need to decide whether the work should be done at the dock or at the dealers.
Because it doesn’t happen on all cars and they have decided the best way is for dealers to fix if it occurs. I remember on the podcast a while back Miles said that there had been few cases of leaks compared to total number sold.

Now I am not sure that’s true (seems like half of people here report it) but if that is what MG think then their choices make a bit more sense.

they have decided the best way is for dealers to fix if it occurs
That's rubbish customer service unless the problem is vanishingly rare which the evidence suggests is not the case.

MG have their head in the sand over this. Frankly it makes me wonder whether I still want to deal with them if this is their attitude whilst the car is new.

Have MG not stated new builds will have the breather. So it's a question about the built cars being flushed out of the system.
Have they got the volume of production of the breather to fit.it on all cars, and as @siteguru says do they need the dealer network to do the fix.
I've nearly 700 miles on the clock no leak yet. My dealer was going to delay my delivery as it was around the time there was debate about all cars getting the breather. I needed it as I had sold my existing car and so persuaded them to let me have it. A delay would have caused me frustration and I would say would be poor customer service, the point I'm making is I think there are many things being weighed up and no answer that will make everyone happy.
I'm impressed in many way that they are resolving problems relatively quickly (even if it doesn't feel.like.it sometimes).

I have been convinced by the comments of many that I should persevere with this car due to the wonderful drive and I really want to but MG doesn't seem to want me to. 🙄

We are waiting for 2 more cars from the dealer. 1x SE SR, and 1x Trophy. We've been told by the dealer that both will be getting the new breather installed by them when it arrives before we take delivery.

Dealer just called me back ... they're reporting it to MG and are ordering the part, which they hope will arrive on Tuesday. Once they have it they'll call me and we'll arrange for mine to get fixed while I wait. Can continue to drive it in the meantime.

Happy with that proposal. :)

@AdamskiEM
I was told the same a few days before I got my car, and posted on the forum to that effect. Closely followed by potential delay to my delivery, while I think they debated it with MG, at that point due to needing it more quickly I suggested they let me have it anyway. Since I've seen a few posts re it's not what MG are doing.
This seems to be the cause of most issues a lack of consent Comms.

Because it doesn’t happen on all cars and they have decided the best way is for dealers to fix if it occurs. I remember on the podcast a while back Miles said that there had been few cases of leaks compared to total number sold.

Now I am not sure that’s true (seems like half of people here report it) but if that is what MG think then their choices make a bit more sense.
Part of the problem is that MG are trying to pretend this is a lesser problem than it really is. Only counting cars where issue is reported by owners, where the (discreditted) re-fill to a lower level bodge has also failed, results in an under-estimation. If MG wanted to be pro-active they could check all their demonstrators and owners cars when in for any work, or contact owners and invite them to return for inspection or ask them to check.

Even if they have not experienced a leak yet, it seems highly probable that most cars will develop one after more time, higher mileage or changes to usage pattern. Getting MG to remedy the problem a year or two down the line, especially by a second owner might become difficult. In the meantime transmission may be damaged due to insufficient lubrication, driveways may be damaged and other users may lose cohesion.

MG have had sufficient time to evaluate the issue and should now be either demonstrating that it isn't a problem, or should be delivering a plan to remedy the issue for ALL vehicles.

Part of the problem is that MG are trying to pretend this is a lesser problem than it really is. Only counting cars where issue is reported by owners, where the (discreditted) re-fill to a lower level bodge has also failed, results in an under-estimation. If MG wanted to be pro-active they could check all their demonstrators and owners cars when in for any work, or contact owners and invite them to return for inspection or ask them to check.

Even if they have not experienced a leak yet, it seems highly probable that most cars will develop one after more time, higher mileage or changes to usage pattern. Getting MG to remedy the problem a year or two down the line, especially by a second owner might become difficult. In the meantime transmission may be damaged due to insufficient lubrication, driveways may be damaged and other users may lose cohesion.

MG have had sufficient time to evaluate the issue and should now be either demonstrating that it isn't a problem, or should be delivering a plan to remedy the issue for ALL vehicles.
MG UK have said that all new factory built cars will have the breather problem fixed.

Quote from email to me dated 3rd Nov.

Thank you for your further correspondence and I hope that you are keeping well.

Following thorough investigation by our Technical and Engineering team in both the UK and China, the results of this concern with the MG4 are that oil is being ejected through the breather pipe which is presenting itself as an oil leak. Therefore, a modified breather pipe is currently in the process of being supplied to the repair network to rectify the issue.
Rest assured, the issue does not leave the vehicle undriveable and does not impact the performance or functionality of the vehicle.
Once the part is available in the next few weeks, dealerships will be able to carry out the necessary repair for those cars that are already on the road.

MG's that are yet to be built at the factory in China will have the issue with the breather pipe rectified before they are placed on a ship.
Any vehicles that have already left the factory that present this concern will need rectification at an MG dealership once the vehicle arrives and the part is available.

I hope that this provides some reassurance and I thank you again for your email.

Kindest of regards,

Ella

MG UK have said that all new factory built cars will have the breather problem fixed.

Quote from email to me dated 3rd Nov.

Thank you for your further correspondence and I hope that you are keeping well.

Following thorough investigation by our Technical and Engineering team in both the UK and China, the results of this concern with the MG4 are that oil is being ejected through the breather pipe which is presenting itself as an oil leak. Therefore, a modified breather pipe is currently in the process of being supplied to the repair network to rectify the issue.
Rest assured, the issue does not leave the vehicle undriveable and does not impact the performance or functionality of the vehicle.
Once the part is available in the next few weeks, dealerships will be able to carry out the necessary repair for those cars that are already on the road.

MG's that are yet to be built at the factory in China will have the issue with the breather pipe rectified before they are placed on a ship.
Any vehicles that have already left the factory that present this concern will need rectification at an MG dealership once the vehicle arrives and the part is available.

I hope that this provides some reassurance and I thank you again for your email.

Kindest of regards,

Ella
Thank you @Steve Chope and apologise if I'd missed it previously. This seems a sensible course of action. I was under the impression that some dealers were still maintaining that cars were to fit for sale before breathers were fitted and fixes would only be provided where owners highlighted an issue and MG sanctioned it.

At very least, an inspection and fix should become part of any service. In 12 months time there should be no MG4s on the road with faulty breathers.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 544 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back