MG4 Reduction Gearbox Oil Leak

Thank you @Steve Chope and apologise if I'd missed it previously. This seems a sensible course of action. I was under the impression that some dealers were still maintaining that cars were to fit for sale before breathers were fitted and fixes would only be provided where owners highlighted an issue and MG sanctioned it.

At very least, an inspection and fix should become part of any service. In 12 months time there should be no MG4s on the road with faulty breathers.
That’s why I cancelled my first order made in October. Will reorder again perhaps mid next year when, hopefully all these problems will be sorted. Still love the car! Trouble is the 4x4 version might be available by then and I could well be tempted😀

I made a pre-order on 2nd September, which became an order when books opened on 17th September. Not heard a dicky bird since. Would rather wait until known issues are resolved so haven't chased too hard, but it is hard to know when that might be.

I made a pre-order on 2nd September, which became an order when books opened on 17th September. Not heard a dicky bird since. Would rather wait until known issues are resolved so haven't chased too hard, but it is hard to know when that might be.
My original order was due to be delivered some time in February according to my dealer ( 16 weeks) . So am thinking will at least wait until the new reg before I order again. TBH I dont really mind how long I have to wait. Almost the longer the better so current the problems get fixed in China before they get shipped over here.

TBH I dont really mind how long I have to wait.
Last correspondence from my dealer was to let me know that there is currently a 26 week wait for new orders but it is hard to predict when you might get a new car. Not sure what relevance this was supposed to be to me though as the delivery time was quoted as 12-16 weeks at the point I ordered.🤷‍♂️

I think I will email or telephone the dealership and tell them for my order I won't accept to it pick it up until it has confirmed that the new / redesigned oil breather is installed (photographic evidence) There is little point MG burying their heads in the sand and ignoring this.

It is NOT going away so ensure all current and subsequent deliveries include this fix BEFORE the end user has a negative experience with the brand.

*** this isn't rocket science, its basic reputation & customer care / management

Have MG not stated new builds will have the breather. So it's a question about the built cars being flushed out of the system.
Have they got the volume of production of the breather to fit.it on all cars, and as @siteguru says do they need the dealer network to do the fix.
I've nearly 700 miles on the clock no leak yet. My dealer was going to delay my delivery as it was around the time there was debate about all cars getting the breather. I needed it as I had sold my existing car and so persuaded them to let me have it. A delay would have caused me frustration and I would say would be poor customer service, the point I'm making is I think there are many things being weighed up and no answer that will make everyone happy.
I'm impressed in many way that they are resolving problems relatively quickly (even if it doesn't feel.like.it sometimes).
Yes, I am also impressed how they fixing things quickly, despite the poor communication. With other manufacturers I have had problems that took years to resolve properly.

Thank you @Steve Chope and apologise if I'd missed it previously. This seems a sensible course of action. I was under the impression that some dealers were still maintaining that cars were to fit for sale before breathers were fitted and fixes would only be provided where owners highlighted an issue and MG sanctioned it.

At very least, an inspection and fix should become part of any service. In 12 months time there should be no MG4s on the road with faulty breathers.
I think because MG have not opted to make it mandatory , dealers get to choose whether to proactive fit the breather or wait for a leak first.

Part of the problem is that MG are trying to pretend this is a lesser problem than it really is. Only counting cars where issue is reported by owners, where the (discreditted) re-fill to a lower level bodge has also failed, results in an under-estimation. If MG wanted to be pro-active they could check all their demonstrators and owners cars when in for any work, or contact owners and invite them to return for inspection or ask them to check.

Even if they have not experienced a leak yet, it seems highly probable that most cars will develop one after more time, higher mileage or changes to usage pattern. Getting MG to remedy the problem a year or two down the line, especially by a second owner might become difficult. In the meantime transmission may be damaged due to insufficient lubrication, driveways may be damaged and other users may lose cohesion.

MG have had sufficient time to evaluate the issue and should now be either demonstrating that it isn't a problem, or should be delivering a plan to remedy the issue for ALL vehicles.
Spot on. They underestimate the huge number of customers or prospective owners this and other issues are putting off. Then again maybe they don't care seeing how rapidly they have grown and gained market share in the last few years.

That’s why I cancelled my first order made in October. Will reorder again perhaps mid next year when, hopefully all these problems will be sorted. Still love the car! Trouble is the 4x4 version might be available by then and I could well be tempted😀
This might be a bit of a reach but do you have any indication based on your comms with them how long between when they receive an order they start to build and send cars. I know some dealers say 16weeks, I've heard 12 and 14 as well. Reason I ask is I tried to delay mine as well till spring but received an email today saying my delivery is estimated for end of March.
I'm hoping that's not a car already produced as I want to get one from a totally new production batch with teething issues resolved.

Last edited by a moderator:
My original order was due to be delivered some time in February according to my dealer ( 16 weeks) . So am thinking will at least wait until the new reg before I order again. TBH I dont really mind how long I have to wait. Almost the longer the better so current the problems get fixed in China before they get shipped over here.
Ah you probably won't know answer to my last question and wouldn't have asked if I had seen this before sending.

This might be a bit of a reach but do you have any indication based on your comms with them how long between when they receive an order they start to build and send cars. I know some dealers say 16weeks, I've heard 12 and 14 as well. Reason I ask is I tried to delay mine as well till spring but received an email today saying my delivery is estimated for end of March.
I'm hoping that's not a car already produced as I want to get one from a totally new production batch with teething issues resolved.
Mate they aren't building to orders at the moment they are just distributing stock to dealers as it comes of the boat. If your dealer happens to be allocated a car that matches your order (colour/spec) you might get it.
They aren't talking about building to order till some time in January possibly.

I think because MG have not opted to make it mandatory , dealers get to choose whether to proactive fit the breather or wait for a leak first.
I believe dealers don't have the choice to be proactive. They have to prove existence of a leaky car to MG, or MG won't send them the new breather.

I believe dealers don't have the choice to be proactive. They have to prove existence of a leaky car to MG, or MG won't send them the new breather.
Which is costing MG money as I presume the dealers are billing them for courtesy cars as well as the fitting of the modified breather.

This isn’t right I’m afraid. Mine has had no evidence of a leak. It’s at the dealer now for other issues, but they’ve ordered the breather to replace anyway. I didn’t even ask them to do it

As I’ve said earlier too, we are waiting on 2 more cars, and have been told they will be fitting the breather on both before handing them over.

Not true I think. It was the initial statement from MG but some dealers are fitting proactively and others not, mixed messages and results as usual.

My dealer said they haven't had any reported issues to any of the cars they've sold. I find that hard to believe.
Be interesting to know how many they have sold and how many of those cars have been checked after a few hundred miles. Evidence suggests that they have definitely sold cars with the leak if they have sold cars with the original breather.

Be interesting to know how many they have sold and how many of those cars have been checked after a few hundred miles. Evidence suggests that they have definitely sold cars with the leak if they have sold cars with the original breather.
Wondered if it was just a dealer attempting to be oblivious to close the sale.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 544 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back