MG4 Reduction Gearbox Oil Leak

It has a manufacture date of 10/05/2022

Blimey, when was it delivered - mid December presumably? Ours was manufactured 26/7/22 and was delivered 30/9/22. So it appears that they are delivering older stock now than at launch.
I had hoped that they would be delivering models with improvements built in.

I put a deposit on an unallocated Trophy which arrived at the docks on 17th November. Arrived at dealer 2 weeks ago but due to laptop issue at dealer I'm still awaiting to pick it up when final update is done.

I asked for the new breather to be fitted but dealer had stated at PDI that the car has a new factory fitted breather on it already.

I don't know the build date on this until I pick it up on Wednesday.

I had a chat with a dealer before Xmas and asked about the oil leak. He said that they are fitting the modified part if owners ‘want it’. I thought that was a strange comment.
When I pressed further, I was told that they don’t just replace the part, as reducing the oil level solves the issue. Another dealer just saying something different?
I really do get tired of dealers. I know that there are some good ones , but the standard is still generally so poor (not just MG).
After all these years the motor trade still operates in many ways as it used to - a cottage industry. I begrudge giving them my custom as most do nothing to deserve it. I wish that I could buy direct from the manufacturer - or maybe Amazon!

I had a chat with a dealer before Xmas and asked about the oil leak. He said that they are fitting the modified part if owners ‘want it’. I thought that was a strange comment.
When I pressed further, I was told that they don’t just replace the part, as reducing the oil level solves the issue. Another dealer just saying something different?
I really do get tired of dealers. I know that there are some good ones , but the standard is still generally so poor (not just MG).
After all these years the motor trade still operates in many ways as it used to - a cottage industry. I begrudge giving them my custom as most do nothing to deserve it. I wish that I could buy direct from the manufacturer - or maybe Amazon!
Amazon next day delivery that would be great

Open sesame! 🤔🫣 Alibaba - MG4 Mulan

Yet my dealer still refuses to acknowledge the oil leak.

That is crazy...there are posts here and on other MG forums advising reducing the oil level does not solve the oil leak issue.
If ever a dealer was accused of 'pulling your chain' this is a great example.
I know there is the occasional helpful dealer but they certainly seem to be in the minority based on comments here probably because they are sick of the various complaints about the MG4, not only regarding oil leaks.
I suppose that currently they are not concerned due to lack of direct competition and the fact that there is quite a long waiting list normally but that could change down the track with more MG4's becoming available for delivery and the obvious increase in competitition especially with EV's from BYD.

Last edited:
If every new car leaving the factory is eventually going to have the new breather then just fit it to all cars, at the dealers, before handing the car over.
Going over old ground here but it is such a simple, cheap, fix. And avoids all the inconvenience and annoyance of checking, running backwards and forwards to the dealer and cleaning driveways

Hopefully this post is on topic😉
Assuming, of course, the new rebreather fitted at pdi doesn’t leak too like mine did :censored:

Assuming, of course, the new rebreather fitted at pdi doesn’t leak too like mine did :censored:
Is this the modified part that we have all seen ? You know the one with the swan neck tube and metal support bracket ? Or have they just simply replaced the breather. Reason I say this is because MG apparently will not let the dealer's order the modified part without photographic / video evidence of an oil leak , which would not be present at the PDI.

Is this the modified part that we have all seen ? You know the one with the swan neck tube and metal support bracket ? Or have they just simply replaced the breather. Reason I say this is because MG apparently will not let the dealer's order the modified part without photographic / video evidence of an oil leak , which would not be present at the PDI.
Apparently some dealers are proactively fitting the modified breather to new cars, during PDI, before handing them over to customers.

Yep, my dealer pre fitted the new rebreather. They said all that MG needed was the VIN so they could order it from China.

They refused to do a handover with a part fitted to the car that would, in their words, “be very likely to cause an issue that would result in you coming back to us so soon after picking up your new car” (I had to do this anyway but hey ho 😂).

As some early cars were handed over to customers with the old rebreather, which consequently leaked, all new MG4s sold at my dealer were pre fitted with the rebreather before handover. There was a month’s delay between the car arriving at the dealer and me picking it up on 6th December.

As a result of this leak, my dealer have had to seek advice from MG as this new rebreather was supposed to sort the leak. I’ve got an ICE courtesy car until they hear back as they’ll likely have to send the part to MG to find out what went wrong.

The reason I doubted the modified breather being fitted is that the modified one has an extra pipe added to it so that it can hold a small amount of oil which would have leaked out of the breather and then allow this oil to flow back into the gear casing when stopped. There seems to be some dealers that say they cannot fit it without permission from MG and others that are saying it's now done at PDI. I now know that when I finally pick my car up I need to take a look at the breather and see for myself what is fitted as the dealers seem to be giving different information and are still releasing cars that leak oil.

Last edited:
Picked up my Trophy yesterday, dealer told me from inspection at PDI that my car had a new breather fitted from Factory. I doubted it and low and behold after 60 miles done on car I indeed have oil leak at rear and on my drive.

Email with photos sent to dealer today.

My car was manufactured on 20th September 2022 and arrived in Portbury Docks on 17th November.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 535 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back