MG4 Reduction Gearbox Oil Leak

I wonder how dealers really feel about it? It would be good to hear from a well thought of dealer on the subject!

You're right, it's a cheap fix and wouldn't every customer be happy that this had been dealt with prior to delivery. It's madness and I don't understand their logic at all.
Totally agree, if every car from when the modified breather had been supplied had been fitted prior to handover this thread would have been forgotten about, well until the one of the first batch gearboxes seized or started making some suspicious sounds.

Such an easy solution.

Take a photo of your car undertray from rear if you can see oil leak drip or spray and photo of oil on your drive or where you park. Send to dealer as I have just done and ask them to order new breather in to save you a trip.
I reported the issue to my dealer and they ordered the part without me having to return the car to them OR send photos. (The part hadn't actually arrived before Christmas though - they told me it was ordered, and shipped from MG; but it was coming via Royal Mail so God knows when it'll arrive). 🙄

There are reports in France and Germany, not sure about Spain yet, maybe some of our Spanish members can confirm, and we will probably never know about China.
There was a you tube clip a while back from China claiming a good few issues withe the Mulan and SAIC in general and poor reputation in China, again there is no way of really validating that
Yes, the issue is also happening in Spain. Apparently (subjective personal impression reading comments), UK dealers are much more reluctant than Spanish ones to order the new breather and solve the problem.

It is now obvious (to me anyway) that MG dealers are told by the manufacturer to just 'let 'em rip' as far as sales go and hope for the best.
We don't even know for sure whether newly manufactured ones are being fitted with modified breathers as it is also becoming obvious that you cannot really believe anything that the dealers or MG say.

It is now obvious (to me anyway) that MG dealers are told by the manufacturer to just 'let 'em rip' as far as sales go and hope for the best.
We don't even know for sure whether newly manufactured ones are being fitted with modified breathers as it is also becoming obvious that you cannot really believe anything that the dealers or MG say.
From our Spanish friends comment I presume the problem is MG UK trying to penny pinch at the expense of customer satisfaction.

Has anyone got to the bottom of why this oil issue has raised its head now? Are other countries experiencing this issue?
My car has the oil leak, I am from Germany. I have notified the dealer about the leak over a month ago. They said that the part was on back order and that they would notify me (and other customers proactively) when they are able to fit it.

Since I'm hearing in the German MG4 Facebook group that the modified breathers are being fitted in Germany now for some time - they might have been bs-ing me. Will call them next year again.

As said could have been a non story by now, blame firmly at MG's door

Can the breather be seen if you can get under the car while it's sitting on all four wheels?
My car is due at the end of January and I hope to get my head under it to check both the breather and the under tray.

I'm sure someone managed to post a picture of it fitted, which might mean you can

I'm sure someone managed to post a picture of it fitted, which might mean you can
Thanks, it looks that way from the breather pictures posted by Davemac278 and others. Just wondered if anyone had got their head in there while it's sitting on the ground, or if you could stick your phone up to get a picture.

Thanks, it looks that way from the breather pictures posted by Davemac278 and others. Just wondered if anyone had got their head in there while it's sitting on the ground, or if you could stick your phone up to get a picture.

To be honest, unless MG change their stance they will just stick with "doesn't need the breather mod until it leaks " and "all the undertrays are like that so it's fine" . Leaving it to you the customer to take it back and complain. Very short sighted, they don't want to attract customers with good customer service.

I picked up my Trophy from Richmond MG in Portsmouth on Dec 30th. I was told they had fitted the modified breather prior to handover, and are doing it as a matter of course to all.
Time will tell I guess.

It would be interesting to understand the payment profile for dealing with faults. It may be that dealers get paid around £100 by MG for fitting a new breather when a customer complains (a 10 min job), but are expected to do it for free as part of the PDI if done before handover?

If this was the case the dealer might rather deal with the fault as reported as in the short term there is a financial incentive to do this. Longer term the representational damage to the marque might mean future sales are lost from failing to be more proactive, but that can be hard to quantify.

Some dealers clearly have been pro-active and are wanting to build a long term relationship with their customer and generate repeat sales. Ultimately customers will vote with their feet.

To be honest, unless MG change their stance they will just stick with "doesn't need the breather mod until it leaks " and "all the undertrays are like that so it's fine" . Leaving it to you the customer to take it back and complain. Very short sighted, they don't want to attract customers with good customer service.
I intend, at the moment, not to accept the car if it doesn't have the modified breather and/or an undertray problem.

I intend, at the moment, not to accept the car if it doesn't have the modified breather and/or an undertray problem.
Fine. This is not a guarantee that you will get a car with a modified breather and perfect undertray though. The dealer may just return your deposit and offer the car to the next person on the waiting list.

Placing a new order may increase your chances of getting a car with fewer faults but price has gone up.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 540 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back