MG4 Reduction Gearbox Oil Leak

Renault will be off my list. I just don't think much of the Megane E-Tech

doesn't matter how you you measure it, unless cheaper is better!! but superior in every way. Quality ,functionality, dealer/manufacturer experience all better

My brother in law drives a Kia Niro EV as a company car and he works for the Q8 oil company in the UK.

He has nothing but praise for it. I think I might look out for one when the time arrives,

My current love affair with MG is likely to end when I trade in or sell my current MG ZS.

It's a decent enough car but has a gutless 1.5 litre non turbo engine.

Given that petrol cars are going the way of the dinosaurs, it's likely to be my last ICE car.

I think more people (with the oil leak) should report it to DVSA ... if they get involved then MG will have to take it seriously. (I received a follow-up email from a named contact at DVSA - I have replied to that email with the requested info).
I've submitted my follow-up evidence requested, namely emails and photographs with a timeline of events.

Last edited:
I think that MG Motor UK need to employ someone "Smarter" than the person that is currently in the role of liaising with customer complaints.

This is like snatching defeat from the jaws of victory for them.

Surely given the small numbers of the cars on the road, each owner could be given whatever new fix is coming out of the factory that is tested as full working, even if it is a new redesigned casing with the breather hole not in line with the gear that is deemed to be the part that is forcing out the oil?

This would mean that no MG4's would have this problem after all owners (even the ones that haven't has the issue YET!) have been contacted moving forward?

I think that MG Motor UK need to employ someone "Smarter" than the person that is currently in the role of liaising with customer complaints.

This is like snatching defeat from the jaws of victory for them.

Surely given the small numbers of the cars on the road, each owner could be given whatever new fix is coming out of the factory that is tested as full working, even if it is a new redesigned casing with the breather hole not in line with the gear that is deemed to be the part that is forcing out the oil?

This would mean that no MG4's would have this problem after all owners (even the ones that haven't has the issue YET!) have been contacted moving forward?
Well as I see it MR Smart is very Smart from MGs side of things because he stops most issues getting passed him and keeps us their customers in the dark.

In your second post about the MGC / Cyberster not yet even seen who’s to say that won’t have issues or problems maybe oil leaks it two is a bran new vehicle.
Les

Going to try this in my extended pipe, without the filter fitted.
Hoping the oil entering the larger volume of the filter housing will stop it advancing further.

Worth a try for a few pounds :giggle:

aaa.jpg

But companies are very short-term, short-sighted, make the month/quarter/year-end figures driven ... customer satisfaction comes way down the list (despite what they may say in literature/promotion material etc.). It's just the way of the world now. 🤷‍♂️

If the MG company is thinking short term my thoughts are it will be a short term company in the UK/Europe and not last long.

With or without breather?

Without the factory one way valve, can't see the advantage in it.

I fitted this aluminium housing to the end of a 1.5 metre length of 6mm clear tube this afternoon, and positioned it high up in the left corner of the rear bumper, well above gearbox height.
I cable tied a piece of breathable soft foam over the end in place of the ball valve gizmo the car came with.
Drained and filled the box with 850ml of oil and went for a quick 8 mile blast, got up to 70mph .
Was getting dark by the time I got home so didn't want to put the car back on ramps, but when I checked underneath there were no oil drips whatsoever, looks promising.🤞

Not sure if it's the extra pipe, the extra height, or the additional volume of the chamber on the end, but it seems to the best result I've had so far. 850ml with everything else I've tried simply vomited oil everywhere within a couple of miles.

If it holds 850ml that will satisfy me to be honest. Maybe MG will come up with a more elegant solution in the future but I'm not holding my breath.

I still want to try moving the breather to the rear and side of the box where the fill hole is and I've ordered some parts to do that, the crazy pressure this thing throws out until the oil level drops below 700 ml is unbelievable.
Will be interesting to see whether a change of breather location alters this.

Macadoodle I have to applaud your perseverance in this matter and hope that it works this time many thanks for your efforts to find a solution to this problem for us all.
Les
If it doesn't work perhaps attach some stiff plastic tubing so that it extends beyond the rear bumper around 2 feet so you can spray tailgating ICE vehicles with oil. ;)

Last edited:
I haven’t got my car yet and hoping this won’t be an issue. However having read all the efforts to solve this problem has any thought about using a gearbox catch tank/ breather? They are used as performance modification. Here is one that can be purchased, there are several on the market or something similar could be even home manufacture. S-Tronic Transmission Oil Catch Can / Breather Kit

I haven’t got my car yet and hoping this won’t be an issue. However having read all the efforts to solve this problem has any thought about using a gearbox catch tank/ breather? They are used as performance modification. Here is one that can be purchased, there are several on the market or something similar could be even home manufacture. S-Tronic Transmission Oil Catch Can / Breather Kit

The alloy fuel filter I repurposed was £6 from the flea bay, tube was less than £4 so it's a pretty cheap fix .
The threaded brass tube I used to tap the breather hole was from an old lamp ! M10 with a 1mm thread pitch is what you need, screws into the casing around 10mm depth to match the original breather, couple of skinny nuts locked together set this distance and you can push your pipe on the other end, secure with clip.
If your car doesn't leak, I think I can safely say it probably has a max of 700ml in its gearbox if it's fitted with the original or modded breather, and it will possibly slowly drop to 600ml, too low IMHO.
bottle.jpg

If it doesn't work perhaps attach some stiff plastic tubing so that it extends beyond the rear bumper around 2 feet so you can spray tailgating ICE vehicles with oil. ;)
Funny you should say that. 'Gaiting is my absolute pet hate on the roads. Used to dream of vaguely legal ways of getting the annoying bastards off your rear bumper.
A secondary rear window wash pump filled with WD40 was one that crossed my sick mind, probably not very legal though 😊

Funny you should say that. 'Gaiting is my absolute pet hate on the roads. Used to dream of vaguely legal ways of getting the annoying bastards off your rear bumper.
A secondary rear window wash pump filled with WD40 was one that crossed my sick mind, probably not very legal though 😊
Yes. Hate them with a passion, too. Unfortunately, the MG4 doesn't seem to exude much street grandeur, so much tailgaiting happening. Mostly by underperforming VAG Diesel cars.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 538 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back