MG4 Reduction Gearbox Oil Leak

The service manager said the second pipe fitted successfully

Interested to find out what this second pipe consists of :unsure: Other than restricting the pressure and risking oil leaking past seals instead, I truly don't think there's a fix that will work with the factory breather position without taking the box apart and doing it properly.
I ended high up behind the rear bumper with an oil catch can and still it squirted like a whale's blowhole, I canna go any further captain 🐳

Interested to find out what this second pipe consists of :unsure: Other than restricting the pressure and risking oil leaking past seals instead, I truly don't think there's a fix that will work with the factory breather position without taking the box apart and doing it properly.
I ended high up behind the rear bumper with an oil catch can and still it squirted like a whale's blowhole, I canna go any further captain 🐳
funny enough, I went through the China Mulan's discussion and found interesting information, the guy has done about 8500miles on his Mulan, it seems he been told by the dealer following story:
1, the oil leaking is a overfill oil issue (the same as what we been told in the UK originally).
2, no fix required for the overfill oil issue, the gearbox will push the excessed amount oil out of the gearbox, just let the oil goes
3, the issue is fixed when the excessed amount oil been pushed/throwed out

in addition to this, I have got few replies from someone on the same forum and I believe he is from a local dealer in China, here is his comment for the issues that we have got here:
19th Dec 2022 reply
undertray deform issue, the manufacturer has a new design/improved version, owner can go back to dealer (they call 4S) to replace the under tray.
oil leaking, the manufacturer test shows the breath pipe oil leaking only happed when the motor speed reaches 17000RPM, just need clean up. Motor will not reach such high speed in normal use, so no need to warry.
mulan1.JPG

1st Feb 2023 reply
oil amount has been adjusted, now new solution for the oil leaking is replace new designed breath pipe. The first batch production cars have the straight version breath pipe, not enough space to separate the oil and air, the new design is a bended version.
mulan2.JPG

7th Feb 2023 reply
I told him that my car still leaking after fitted the new breath pipe, and here is his reply:
Is it the same place has leaking? Our store only received 1 or 2 complaints about the oil leaking, no leaking reported since replaced the breath pipe.
mulan3.JPG

===================
The SAIC knows the issue and communicated with dealers in China and the UK, and it sounds like SAIC provided the same story.

For sure, SAIC knows the fact that the issue is their original design can't separate the oil and air on the gearbox breath pipe.

Personally, I believe you are correct and I can not see how the breath pipe can separate the oil and air in the current design. Can't tell the inner OD's size, but surely no space to separate the oil and air.

I believe all MG4/Mulan will leak until SAIC provides a proper solution to separate the oil and air. The difference would be what amount and when.
*picture borrowed from someone' post in here.
820_ChsEbGOTYHmABdO9AANbLeNrzMk297.jpg

Last edited:
Wednesday update:
no phone calls received from the dealer on Wednesday, so I called them.

The service manager said the second pipe fitted successfully, ordered a new driver side door handle to fix the locking button issue (but on back order, it will be a long wait), they will look into the passenger door on Thursday (should be just alignment adjustment, but who knows).
Let's see how they can prove the 3rd attempt can fix the leaking what kind written words they are going to supply this time.
Thursday update, car has been sent back another week.(total spend more than 1 month in the dealer already, it only 4 month old)

Things are more worrying now.
Received phone call from dealer guess what?
The new leaking isn't the breath pipe, it's something else around the rear axle, they are not 100% sure it's the axle itself or something around it.
What could be?
Again no evidence supplied from the dealer, just verbal feedback as they claimed all issues were fixed back to February.

Thursday update, car has been sent back another week.(total spend more than 1 month in the dealer already, it only 4 month old)

Things are more worrying now.
Received phone call from dealer guess what?
The new leaking isn't the breath pipe, it's something else around the rear axle, they are not 100% sure it's the axle itself or something around it.
What could be?
Again no evidence supplied from the dealer, just verbal feedback as they claimed all issues were fixed back to February.

Very suspicious, maybe as I thought they've restricted the breather to the extent that it's forcing oil out of the next weakest point - the seals.
Going to be a nightmare if it's forcing oil past the motor shaft too :oops:

"Your absence has created this"

It's because I'm so universally liked 😉

Very suspicious, maybe as I thought they've restricted the breather to the extent that it's forcing oil out of the next weakest point - the seals.
Going to be a nightmare if it's forcing oil past the motor shaft too :oops:
Here is the warnings that I have received this afternoon.
Surely the dealer is doing something.
But I received following alarms 3 times. Always triggered and then cancelled shortly.
Screenshot_20230316_175854_com.google.android.apps.messaging_edit_2097377059365895.jpg
Screenshot_20230316_180154_edit_2097526501310143.jpg

My local dealer has identified a leak after 5000 miles and that too after me pestering them to check. Now they have acknowledged that there is a leak however, they are now telling me that there is nothing they can do as MG haven’t provided them with a solution to fix it. They have told me to keep driving it and it should be fine. This doesnt add up.

Is this your all experience too? Or the dealer just doesnt take the responsibility..

Here is the warnings that I have received this afternoon.
Surely the dealer is doing something.
But I received following alarms 3 times. Always triggered and then cancelled shortly.View attachment 15980View attachment 15981
Had all of these when my car was in recently - it had the full system update plus other campaigns pushed to it - Perf normal :)

My local dealer has identified a leak after 5000 miles and that too after me pestering them to check. Now they have acknowledged that there is a leak however, they are now telling me that there is nothing they can do as MG haven’t provided them with a solution to fix it. They have told me to keep driving it and it should be fine. This doesnt add up.

Is this your all experience too? Or the dealer just doesnt take the responsibility..
Take it to another dealer ...

It's your dealer ...

I've just spoken with mine - MG have come back to them with what seems to be a modified breather clamp and top-hat/valve, so mine will be going back to the dealer to get that fitted. Whether that will work is anyone's guess (based on @Macadoodle's investigations), but let's follow the process. :)

MG have a fix in the form of a new breather. Insist on them ordering the new part and fitting free as a warranty repair.

I had identified a leak on the same day i picked my car up after 40 miles. Part ordered from MG uk and fitted the following week.

So far this has stopped the leak.

Thanks. I have insisted the service rep to follow this and he kept saying that there is no solution in place. Called multiple dealers and no one can see the car until May/June. I had even called AA to help but the dealers are not willing to book me in. It has started to get so frustrating, at one point I even thought of getting rid of the car 😩

Thanks. I have insisted the service rep to follow this and he kept saying that there is no solution in place. Called multiple dealers and no one can see the car until May/June. I had even called AA to help but the dealers are not willing to book me in. It has started to get so frustrating, at one point I even thought of getting rid of the car 😩
Terrible service. I suggest that you need to speak with the service manager or the most senior member available. Show/send him/her this thread if they don’t seem to understand. It seems that continued use while you wait to be booked in is ok with MG.

I insisted on dealer confirming in writing that MG confirmed car was OK to drive whilst awaiting the fitting of a modified breather.

I would suggest you insist on this as you have done such a lot of miles already. I suggest they need to drain and refill reduction gearbox oil to correct level and fit modified breather.

Complain to MG UK directly or via Twitter to get it sorted quickly for you.

Complain to MG UK directly or via Twitter to get it sorted quickly for you.
Do MG reply on Twitter - I havent had any replies ..
MG have a fix in the form of a new breather. Insist on them ordering the new part and fitting free as a warranty repair.

I had identified a leak on the same day i picked my car up after 40 miles. Part ordered from MG uk and fitted the following week.

So far this has stopped the leak.
I'm awaiting confirmation of mine being accepted for the fix - I will check when they call me on 'what' fix they are actually going to fit - Don't want the previous one - Would hope, but lets face it nothing is guaranteed in this world without checking, that I get the new fix
It's your dealer ...

I've just spoken with mine - MG have come back to them with what seems to be a modified breather clamp and top-hat/valve, so mine will be going back to the dealer to get that fitted. Whether that will work is anyone's guess (based on @Macadoodle's investigations), but let's follow the process. :)
I want that fix ..

Do MG reply on Twitter - I havent had any replies ..

I'm awaiting confirmation of mine being accepted for the fix - I will check when they call me on 'what' fix they are actually going to fit - Don't want the previous one - Would hope, but lets face it nothing is guaranteed in this world without checking, that I get the new fix

I want that fix ..
Try email to MG

[email protected]

New modified breather

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230317_165144_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230317_165144_Gallery.jpg
    206.5 KB · Views: 179
Hi all,
My mechanical knowledge is non-existent. I wanted to check if I had the problem, I haven't noticed anything on my drive yet but wondered if I'm looking in the right place underneath the car. I've attached a couple of photos taken from either side of the car but wondered if anybody who has had the problem can tell me if I have it. It's Trophy LR which I picked up last Saturday.

Attachments

• 20230317_173328.jpg
    20230317_173328.jpg
    648.1 KB · Views: 151
  • 20230317_173240.jpg
    20230317_173240.jpg
    360.5 KB · Views: 167

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 532 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.4%