MG4 Software Update Thread

Hi all

New to the forum as I was due to collect my MG4 trophy 2 weeks ago but it failed PDI.

According to dealer they are awaiting software updates from MG to clear the amber triangle before it can be released to me. At the same time they advised there is no mechanical faults and supposedly-mine was the only one expereicned that issue.

Not sure how I should take this, whether its a good thing or not.. No dates have been rescheduled for my collection.

So I got my car back yesterday after it went in for the oil breather mod and also some software updates. The updates have made some big differences for me.

ACC (Active Cruise Control) was a big let down for me until now. My commute is 24 miles on a single carriageway road with moderate free flowing traffic. I was finding that the ACC got upset by approaching traffic and would apply the brakes frequently. If I changed the AEB sensitivity to low from moderate it was a bit better but not great and it would always revert to moderate so had to change every time I got in the car. Today, after update, wow, what a difference. I left it on moderate and zero issues, even on narrow road with large vehicles really close, zero braking for oncoming traffic and very good control on keeping distance from vehicle in front. Accelleration after slowing down is now great (really laggy before) and it is much better on slowing down through the corners which it was far too agressive on. I am really chuffed, it was a pleasure using it and that's the first time I can say that.

I've attached the printouts my service guy gave me of before and after. We still have a couple of updates to come. Apologies for the quality but this was the best I could get them. The columns with the ticks and crosses are headed "Configuration File" and "Calibration File"

The updates that I appear to have had are as follows:

1. Front View Control Module
2. Gateway
3. Intelligent Motor Control Unit

Waiting for fix seems to be:

1. DMS Driver Monitor System
2. FDR Front Detection Radar

My infotainment version remains at R30

Hope this means something (I am only really guessing at what I am seeing) and is useful to others and apologies for image quality!

Pre Update 19.02.17.jpg

Post Update 19.02.17.jpg

These may seem like obvious and easy questions to answer, but not for me I'm afraid.
I'm due to pick up my car in a couple of weeks time, but the dealership is a considerable distance from where I live, so..
How are owners informed of software updates? Is it from the dealer or from MG?
If my car needs an update in the future, can it be done by any dealer and do I have to pay for it?

Interesting with what you said on the ACC, I had an extended test drive today and tried ACC and was a little bit underwhelmed, similar to your comments really even including one 'phantom braking' in a 40 limit A road, and even when it worked it was a little laggy/harsh...

These may seem like obvious and easy questions to answer, but not for me I'm afraid.
I'm due to pick up my car in a couple of weeks time, but the dealership is a considerable distance from where I live, so..
If my car needs an update in the future, can it be done by any dealer and do I have to pay for it?
You won’t have to pay for updates from what I understand. When I collected my car I made a point of getting an introduction to the service manager. I explained that I was aware there would likely be quite a few updates with such a new car and I wanted to be confident that they would deal with them. Service manager reassured me no cost and gave me his email so I can contact him periodically to check if we have updates. Ive had 2 sets of updates so far as my car has been in for oil leak twice. Going forward I’ll email him every 3 months or so but I have to say I am really happy with the car right now with just some small niggles left to sort over time.

So I got my car back yesterday after it went in for the oil breather mod and also some software updates. The updates have made some big differences for me.

ACC (Active Cruise Control) was a big let down for me until now. My commute is 24 miles on a single carriageway road with moderate free flowing traffic. I was finding that the ACC got upset by approaching traffic and would apply the brakes frequently. If I changed the AEB sensitivity to low from moderate it was a bit better but not great and it would always revert to moderate so had to change every time I got in the car. Today, after update, wow, what a difference. I left it on moderate and zero issues, even on narrow road with large vehicles really close, zero braking for oncoming traffic and very good control on keeping distance from vehicle in front. Accelleration after slowing down is now great (really laggy before) and it is much better on slowing down through the corners which it was far too agressive on. I am really chuffed, it was a pleasure using it and that's the first time I can say that.

I've attached the printouts my service guy gave me of before and after. We still have a couple of updates to come. Apologies for the quality but this was the best I could get them. The columns with the ticks and crosses are headed "Configuration File" and "Calibration File"

The updates that I appear to have had are as follows:

1. Front View Control Module
2. Gateway
3. Intelligent Motor Control Unit

Waiting for fix seems to be:

1. DMS Driver Monitor System
2. FDR Front Detection Radar

My infotainment version remains at R30

Hope this means something (I am only really guessing at what I am seeing) and is useful to others and apologies for image quality!

View attachment 12832
View attachment 12833
Thanks for posting the printouts.

Excuse me being a little confused, am I right to assume tick means up-to-date/cross means new firmware available but not updated or does it means there is a fault?

I guess we can't really see this level of detail unless plugged into dealer's diagnostic tools only?

Cheers

Thanks for posting the printouts.

Excuse me being a little confused, am I right to assume tick means up-to-date/cross means new firmware available but not updated or does it means there is a fault?

I guess we can't really see this level of detail unless plugged into dealer's diagnostic tools only?

Cheers
To be honest, I was hoping someone with more knowledge than me could explain. The columns are “Configuration File” and ”Calibration File” - maybe someone will be along who knows more….

Yeah it has the sensor. It is one of the first batch. I'll be on the blower to the dealer first thing as it's undrivable, really.
Just to update my car is still with the dealer. I noticed that the indicators are silent now too despite car warnings volume being 2 at the minimum. They've given me a ZS in the meantime.

PXL_20221115_190814421.jpg

I bought my latest MG4 from Grimsby and it's booked in at Wakefield (my local dealer) for the breather upgrade, seat sorting and any software updates that are available.
No issues using a different dealer, they just bill MG for the work anyway.
Had a few updates on my ZS EV and never paid for any.
Only chargeable was comfort 2 on that car, which many dealers charged for (bang out of order in my eyes).
Thankfully it was released as I bought my ZS so got them to do it as part of the buying process.
Other than that though all others were free, either at my request or when it was serviced.

I bought my latest MG4 from Grimsby and it's booked in at Wakefield (my local dealer) for the breather upgrade, seat sorting and any software updates that are available.
Only chargeable was comfort 2 on that car, which many dealers charged for (bang out of order in my eyes).
Thankfully it was released as I bought my ZS so got them to do it as part of the buying process.
Other than that though all others were free, either at my request or when it was serviced.
Thanks for that @Jester27 . How were you informed of the updates?

What did “Comfort 2” add? Just curious on the sort of thing they may charge for going forward

Hi all

New to the forum as I was due to collect my MG4 trophy 2 weeks ago but it failed PDI.

According to dealer they are awaiting software updates from MG to clear the amber triangle before it can be released to me. At the same time they advised there is no mechanical faults and supposedly-mine was the only one expereicned that issue.

Not sure how I should take this, whether its a good thing or not.. No dates have been rescheduled for my collection.
I had a similar issue- the warning was about the driver drowsiness warning, which is currently not working. However, the car was released to me and runs fine, so if you've got the problem, i don't think there is any reason you shouldn't collect if you want to. I'm still waiting to be told there is a software update for it.

What did “Comfort 2” add? Just curious on the sort of thing they may charge for going forward
I was charged for my ZSEV "Comfort" software update, which basically removed most of the annoying "bongs" that the car made and added a temperature to the infotainment screen. I can't remember what else. I think MG argued that the update was basically cosmetic and not essential, so chargeable. Most drivers though thought the bongs were so annoying as to be possibly dangerous, so the update should have been free. The de-bonged car is much more pleasant to drive.

As mentioned above it was to remove the annoying bongs that went off every time you did anything in the car.
They went proper overoard with them when the car was first made.
It added a couple of other nice to haves too, I think originally the range only showed when you used the battery button but they made it always on in the corner of the dash display.
It was as it was called 'comfort' not essential but in my eyes any update that they've bothered to release should be free to make the car better.
No way should it be chargeable.
I can understand the dealer maybe not wanting to do it until service time if it's just a nice to have as the car takes up time in the workshop if it's not having other work done.
So maybe that was where the charge came from and maybe MG we weren't reimbursing the dealers for doing the update on cars, so would be a loss for the dealer having to spend time on a car with no other income from it being booked in.

Last edited:
I had a similar issue- the warning was about the driver drowsiness warning, which is currently not working. However, the car was released to me and runs fine, so if you've got the problem, i don't think there is any reason you shouldn't collect if you want to. I'm still waiting to be told there is a software update for it.
Thanks for sharing your experience. It was indeed driver drowsiness alert stayed on and dealer wasnt able to clear while checking all sensors are functioning correctly as they should(according to dealer anyway).

Dealer refuse to release the vehicle to me and kept me waiting for a patch from MG to resolve this. No dates given but "could be a couple of weeks"....

I should apraise them for carrying out PDI checks thoroughly and responsively but equally I have sold my car too quickly does experienced a degree of inconvienience.

Yeah it has the sensor. It is one of the first batch. I'll be on the blower to the dealer first thing as it's undrivable, really.
Can I ask where you got with this?

So I have one of the first Trophy models.... it has the sensor and the driver awareness is always flashing but ive turned the warning sound off for it so I can live with that... someone said the software update means it bongs all of the time and you can't shut it off... does anyone know how the car behaves with the software updates? I'm due to take mine in to get a tyre pressure TPMS issue fixed and they will install the updates.... I need my car so I dont want to have to drive around with it bonging all the time.

Can I ask where you got with this?

So I have one of the first Trophy models.... it has the sensor and the driver awareness is always flashing but ive turned the warning sound off for it so I can live with that... someone said the software update means it bongs all of the time and you can't shut it off... does anyone know how the car behaves with the software updates? I'm due to take mine in to get a tyre pressure TPMS issue fixed and they will install the updates.... I need my car so I dont want to have to drive around with it bonging all the time.
That was the same situation as me. It's still with the dealer. I have a loan ZS. I will be chasing them today but they are waiting for MG to tell them how to unf*ck it. Their demo car is also affected.

The alert is loud to the point of distraction and of course masks any other alerts.

I would be clear with them not to update anything that might cause this. Tbh I'd recommend telling them not to update anything and just sort your TPMS until they have tested the updates on a like model.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 510 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back