MG4 Spotted! : Was it you?

I finally managed to get my pic with another MG4. Smurf meets Tango!

1691164680953.png

I chatted more with their friends, who were in an ID3 (and said they would have liked an MG4 but the car wasn't available when they needed to change their old diesel). These Applegreen chargers' card readers were being awkward and Tango was having a bit of trouble connecting, so I unplugged and scarpered (I didn't need the charge) so he could move to the one we had evidence was prepared to charge an MG4. Mind you, I don't think any of what was going on was the cars, it was the card readers.

Finally spotted another down here in Okehampton town centre a week or so ago, Grey, but it was probably a tourist passing through. 1st since I got mine last December! But, maybe I need to get out more.

Was it anyone on here heading from Ascot to J3 of the M3 this afternoon in a red SR or LR at about 4:15 pm ?
I was about three cars behind, but could not catch up due to traffic and you were over and off the J3 roundabout faster than a cat off a hot tin roof

Travelled home from Devon today to South Gloucestershire (diverted via Wells as M5 was shut due to accident) Saw 4 MG4's in total.

None waved, BOO!

Passed by a red trophy on M5 northbound just before Wellington.
Followed by another red MG4 from M5 towards Wells.
Saw a white MG4 around Langport.
Saw a grey MG4 in Keynsham.

Longest run we've done to date, and despite driving for over 4 hours total today, I don't feel knackered.

Also helped an MG5 owner in Wells who was having trouble using a Blink charger (they're not the best, or easiest to use) There was a chap with a Fiat 500 EV who was also having trouble, but looked like the charger was broken. Not even registering on the app.

Don't start me on Blink. I managed, with difficulty, to create an account with them in May, and managed to use it. I need to use them again next week, and decided a couple of weeks ago to get an RFID card, because the app is a pain. I couldn't find a way to request one.

When I emailed asking about this they told me they had no record of my account. I would have to create a new one. I tried, but that failed because the app insisted that my mobile phone number was already taken. I tried to delete the old account from the app, but that repeatedly failed giving me an error code.

Emails from their customer support kept on telling me to do things I couldn't do (and ignoring me explaining why I couldn't), or not to do things I wasn't trying to do. These emails would arrive well after dark, and although the English was good it was formal, leading me to suspect that the people dealing with this didn't speak English, were using machine translation, and didn't fully understand my questions.

Whether I will get any electricity from them next week I do not know. I'm taking my granny lead in case I have to charge at my friend's house, 500 yards from their bloody chargers.

Don't start me on Blink.
I've only used them twice, both times in the last week. ZapMap advertised both sites as 22KW chargers, but clearly from feedback from other users, they're only 7KW. They also charge you initially for the potential full amount of charge you could obtain for the maximum time you can park in that car park for. So in one of them I was deducted over £50 to start a charge. It did rectify on my account the next day, but it was annoying. Today's charge did adjust immediately which was better, but this experience is not consistent according to reviews from ZapMap.

I didn't get that. The app asked me to agree to a potential charge, presumably the maximum a car could draw in ther four-hour allotted time, but they only charged me for the electricity I actually had. I didn't see any pre-authorisation.

More destination chargers with a time limit - although in three days, I didn't see anyone else using the chargers (two devices, four connectors). Mostly they were ICEd up anyway. But what the hell is the point of time limits on destination chargers? Especially ones that are hardly ever used.

The only long run I've done so far in the MG4 again I didn't feel knackered. Don't know if it was the smooth, quiet drive, or the enforced stop for coffee and cake!
It'll be the smooth quiet drive. The coffee wakes you up and the cake, after the initial sugar rush, makes you dozy so they cancel each other out 😁

but clearly from feedback from other users, they're only 7KW.
Don't assume that users know enough to comment on things like that. So many users have cars capable of a maximum of 7kW and rock up at an 11kW/22kW (or higher) AC charger and blame the charger.

Yes, I did think that might be the case, but I know I should be able to get 11kW charging, and was getting under 7kW, so my assumption is that they are actually only 7kW chargers.

Yes, I did think that might be the case, but I know I should be able to get 11kW charging, and was getting under 7kW, so my assumption is that they are actually only 7kW chargers.
Do you definitely have a 3 phase type 2 cable as MG supplied ones are only 2 phase.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 518 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 89 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back