MG4 Spotted! : Was it you?

Here in la France I've seen nary a one (despite the "best-selling" figures) – until about 3 weeks ago, when I slowed at a junction to let a car pull in and realised it was a grey MG4. And then, about a week later, I saw a black MG4 parked in a nearby village. But that's it so far! Increasing number of Teslas on the road, especially the Model 3s and Ys, and a sudden surge of Dacia Springs (I seem to have seen one of them every time I've been out on the road for the past month or so). Also a sudden spate of VW ID3s (possibly because of price drop? Possibly just serendipity). And just yesterday, my very first sight of the new Kia Niro, which is actually rather cool (albeit strikingly similar to the Volvo XC30, which I haven't yet seen).

Here in la France I've seen nary a one (despite the "best-selling" figures) – until about 3 weeks ago, when I slowed at a junction to let a car pull in and realised it was a grey MG4. And then, about a week later, I saw a black MG4 parked in a nearby village. But that's it so far! Increasing number of Teslas on the road, especially the Model 3s and Ys, and a sudden surge of Dacia Springs (I seem to have seen one of them every time I've been out on the road for the past month or so). Also a sudden spate of VW ID3s (possibly because of price drop? Possibly just serendipity). And just yesterday, my very first sight of the new Kia Niro, which is actually rather cool (albeit strikingly similar to the Volvo XC30, which I haven't yet seen).
There will be one more from Tuesday till Friday as I’m visiting Paris by car

Drove all the way from central Scotland to the south coast of England and back last week. Saw that single Tango on the charger at Cherwell Valley and that was it. Quite a lot of other EVs, particularly Teslas. Why are Teslas such boringly ugly cars?

Aerodynamics I guess. I love seeing EVs of any stripe driving around the city. From the point of view of tailpipe emissions, that’s effectively a car that isn’t there

Coming back from the village along the single-track today, a holiday-maker "enjoying the Highland August weather. (Dashcam date is wrong!)
Screenshot from VID_233.MOV.png

I wonder if the lack of flatness in Assynt is giving them conniptions?
But what goes up also goes down. We leave home, and up the first hill, Culcarroch, the economy is 2.5miles/kWHr. By the bottom of the big hill it's up to 3.5 or so. At the top of Cnoc a' Bhainne it's 2.5 again, but at the bottom it's 4.5. It fluctuates with the terrain but down the final hill we are back up to 4.2-4.5. Typically similar on the way home. At the bottom of our track, 4.5-4.8, but we lose 0.1 up the track.

But the road to Ullapool is a killer. In our ICE cars, we'd typically get at best two thirds of normal consumption. We can do 4.0-4.1 in Goth Leo though, so, while not bad, it's not great either. What's great is bowling down the hill at Corrieshalloch. Unless there's a 35mph campervan in front, you can feel all virtuous as the economy improves.

Driving from Somerset to Cornwall saw no other MG4s. Driving back Monday 21st there were three Trophies at Osprey's Salmon's Leap charging area off A38 at Buckfastleigh. Look forward to seeing more there as it's a very good one with farm shop and cafe.

But what goes up also goes down. We leave home, and up the first hill, Culcarroch, the economy is 2.5miles/kWHr. By the bottom of the big hill it's up to 3.5 or so. At the top of Cnoc a' Bhainne it's 2.5 again, but at the bottom it's 4.5. It fluctuates with the terrain but down the final hill we are back up to 4.2-4.5. Typically similar on the way home. At the bottom of our track, 4.5-4.8, but we lose 0.1 up the track.

But the road to Ullapool is a killer. In our ICE cars, we'd typically get at best two thirds of normal consumption. We can do 4.0-4.1 in Goth Leo though, so, while not bad, it's not great either. What's great is bowling down the hill at Corrieshalloch. Unless there's a 35mph campervan in front, you can feel all virtuous as the economy improves.

Sounds a bit like the switchback ride my friends directed me on in the Yorkshire Dales. Overall efficiency was quite good.

On Saturday evening after I'd charged at Burton-in-Kendal, nominally 132 miles from home, the motorway was empty and I set the cruise control to 80. I was lucky to get 2.5 for most of that lot, but I just wanted home. However the GOM tended to hover around 128-132 miles total range from the last charge, and I did wonder if I should take some action. One possibility was to go home Abington - A702, which is the way I used always to go until ABRP pointed out that Moffat - A701 is seven miles shorter and about the same driving time. But there are no chargers after Moffat, while there are chargers on the other route. I decided sod it I was going via Moffat.

As I left Moffat the efficiency was still 2.5, but I was climbing hard up to the watershed. Got to the Wells of Tweed with the GOM still looking a bit doubtful, only around 30 miles for a 35-mile journey. But then the expected happened. The GOM was still showing around 30 miles by the time I got to Broughton, only 12 miles from home. A combination of going much more slowly on the twisty A road and following the Tweed down from its source into the valley caused a lot of re-working of algorithms and by the time I got home, on 9% battery, the GOM was still estimating 18 miles of range. (The car thought the distance from Burton-in-Kendal was 129 miles.) From 2 miles/KWh (at the start of the motorway run) it was now giving 4 miles/KWh.

This was the main reason I wanted that balance charge at Glyndebourne. The SR really needs to balance or the GOM and SoC algorithms get screwed up. People are reporting sudden drops in reported range right at the bottom of their batteries, and I think that's why. I don't know how often you'd have to cycle partial charges without balancing for that to happen, but I'm not gagging to find out. Both times I've taken Caliban down under 10% there have been no nasty surprises. His GOM is actually a damn sight better than Prospero's was. (Prospero the ICE Golf GTi, which would show anything from 350 to 550 miles on a tank of petrol, with the real answer being as near as dammit 400 miles.)

... well thats a positive on 2 fronts:-

a) you've spotted a few MG4's
b) managed to get over 125KWH charge rate..... the most I've ever got is 81KWH todate (Im going to try Ionity over the xmas break)
I got more than 140k on my Trophy!

Here in the wilds of Essex there are none also - one has to go as far as Bristol Docks where there are hundreds waiting to start their migration to their final destinations.😎
Not seen a single MG4 in London.
Mine is in East London and I have seen a few others around, including an identical Orange MG4 parked up in East Ham

Driving from Somerset to Cornwall saw no other MG4s. Driving back Monday 21st there were three Trophies at Osprey's Salmon's Leap charging area off A38 at Buckfastleigh. Look forward to seeing more there as it's a very good one with farm shop and cafe.
I was there a couple of weeks ago, it's a great facility

And there’s an orange one at the top of my road at the T junction (New Greens in St Albans)

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 509 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back