MG4 Undertray dip/bulge

I'm sure of you go digging into the beginnings of the undertray thread there was an admission of a manufacturing defect in relation to the rear undertray, not sure if it was MG or a dealer.

I think it was that the holes didn't line up spot on with the fixings causing the bowing
Yep, holes misaligned, tray a poor fit, I can image the production line fitting these, they daren't stop so just fix them up whatever.
I have mine booked into a dealership in Gloucester on the 3rd Aug as a last chance saloon, I'll go armed with my report and shots from this forum from members who have had theirs fixed under warranty etc. At the end of the day it's definitely a quality issue and consumer rights recognises that and gives you rights to reject or have repaired within 6 months.

I think they accepted it as a fault at the beginning, and were prepared to fix the "small number of cars" they thought were affected, but then when they realised it was an awful lot of cars there was some back-tracking. This doesn't seem to have been consistent though, with some people being told it wasn't a fault, and others finding they could have it dealt with.

In other news, hot off the press, I have just put the phone down after a very nice call from my dealer who has booked the car in for the 31st to have a look at the things I mentioned.

I think they accepted it as a fault at the beginning, and were prepared to fix the "small number of cars" they thought were affected, but then when they realised it was an awful lot of cars there was some back-tracking. This doesn't seem to have been consistent though, with some people being told it wasn't a fault, and others finding they could have it dealt with.

In other news, hot off the press, I have just put the phone down after a very nice call from my dealer who has booked the car in for the 31st to have a look at the things I mentioned.
Excellent, please let us know how you get on

This probably bears posting into this thread. It's a still from a video review of the MG4 which has just been launched on the Australian market. (Video is linked in the thread where all the reviews are posted.) The reviewer put a camera under the car and this is what we see.

1690576056715.png

This is a different design of undertray and it seems to have an intentional vent into the motor area. Don't quite know what to make of this.

I don't think so but it's difficult to say. It could be worth looking at the video again. I'm interested to see that the tray seems to be a different design.

I don't think so but it's difficult to say. It could be worth looking at the video again. I'm interested to see that the tray seems to be a different design.
Just watched it and paused it right at the moment when the under tray shot starts. Most definitely a hang down there on the left that needs to be seen to

Which makes a mockery of the current party line of 'they all do that'.

Interesting to see if the mk 2 version owners have the new undertray design - the real question is can you retrofit it?
Youve got to think the new undertray (if it exists) will fit any 4, nothing from a major motor/gearbox point of view has changed.

Last edited:
Youve got to think the new undertray (if it exists) will fit any 4, nothing from a major motor/gearbox point of view has changed.
I had a "new" undertray fitted just over a week ago. The "bulge" is possibly worse than the original, so they're going to order another "new" one. Be interesting to see which one comes to the dealer.

This probably bears posting into this thread. It's a still from a video review of the MG4 which has just been launched on the Australian market. (Video is linked in the thread where all the reviews are posted.) The reviewer put a camera under the car and this is what we see.

View attachment 19269

This is a different design of undertray and it seems to have an intentional vent into the motor area. Don't quite know what to make of this.
That's it then, they forgot to crimp the vent in ours. :unsure:

Seems like there is a lot of effort going into getting this issue resolved. Sometimes it is much less effort to just fix it yourself, put on another clip/bolt/screw or a piece of alloys across existing bolts, 10 minutes work. Or just leave as is, it will have minimal effect common sense says to me. One shouldn’t have to do this of course but it is less effort. Has the art of fixing stuff been lost? Probably a bit controversal!

Seems like there is a lot of effort going into getting this issue resolved. Sometimes it is much less effort to just fix it yourself, put on another clip/bolt/screw or a piece of alloys across existing bolts, 10 minutes work. Or just leave as is, it will have minimal effect common sense says to me. One shouldn’t have to do this of course but it is less effort. Has the art of fixing stuff been lost? Probably a bit controversial!
No the art of fixing stuff isn't dead, at least not by me, but on a brand new car it shouldn't be necessary.

What I can't understand is why, as you and others have suggested, they haven't supplied a piece of alloy to the dealers to put along the deformed edge to correct the problem on existing cars.

Seems like there is a lot of effort going into getting this issue resolved. Sometimes it is much less effort to just fix it yourself, put on another clip/bolt/screw or a piece of alloys across existing bolts, 10 minutes work. Or just leave as is, it will have minimal effect common sense says to me. One shouldn’t have to do this of course but it is less effort. Has the art of fixing stuff been lost? Probably a bit controversal!

Bear in mind that not everyone has the skills to do this. I'm a woman who will be 70 later this year and who has enough trouble getting under the car to see the problem, never mind knowing what to do about it. If I were going to fix it myself I'd have to get the local garage to do it.

There's also a worry about invalidating the warranty if we do something like that. It may be a needless concern, but it's a thought.

There had already been one report of a tray being ripped right off by standing floodwater, probably because the defect channelled water above the tray rather then keeping it out, allowing the whole thing to come off. Someone else's undertray shattered.

Considering they engineer the door handles and the alloy covers to minimise drag, having that defect under the car could be significant for the range. Also, there is a concern that it could become clogged with dirt, mud, road salt and who knows what, that could work its way into the motor.

No the art of fixing stuff isn't dead, at least not by me, but on a brand new car it shouldn't be necessary.

What I can't understand is why, as you and others have suggested, they haven't supplied a piece of alloy to the dealers to put along the deformed edge to correct the problem on existing cars.

Agree entirely. They seem too busy fobbing everyone off with the story that this obvious defect is a "characteristic of the car" and even that it's something they intended to do. Sadly, this seems to be something of a knee-jerk response to any report of a mistake, from MG.

I had a "new" undertray fitted just over a week ago. The "bulge" is possibly worse than the original, so they're going to order another "new" one. Be interesting to see which one comes to the dealer.
Interesting, I collected my new MG4 ver2 Trophy a few weeks ago, and during my inspection I pointed out the bulging tray, he did say they had 'some' cars in that had this issue, tho mine seemed 'a little worse than usual' so they are ordering me a new tray, unfortunately your experience doesn't fill me with confidence of getting issue resolved

Interesting, I collected my new MG4 ver2 Trophy a few weeks ago, and during my inspection I pointed out the bulging tray, he did say they had 'some' cars in that had this issue, tho mine seemed 'a little worse than usual' so they are ordering me a new tray, unfortunately your experience doesn't fill me with confidence of getting issue resolved
What annoyed me the most was that they never told me it wasn't fixed, just that the job was done. Did they think I wouldn't look?

I suppose it must be because they don't think it is a significant problem - the same reason that they aren't replacing or redesigning them.

Also, very very few people ever look under their car, so probably it is only those who are on forums like this who even know about it.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 532 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back