My Solution for Rear Number Plate on MG5

I just went out for a look to see how difficult fitting the new number plate will be and have fallen at the first hurdle because I am being cautious...

I can only see two screws in the old plate so I'll need to drill two holes in the new one, and presumably use double sided tape lower down on the plate (otherwise I imagine it would vibrate).

Are those screws self-tapping screws, or do I have to remove the trim on the inside of the boot lid to access the other side?

Either way, would they be re-usable?

I didn't want to go ahead and just remove them to see just in case something dropped off the back of them which I then couldn't retrieve easily!

EDIT: and wouldn't sticky pads be easier?

2nd edit: And presumably I can just take off the black bar and not do anything with the screw holes, or do I need to out some bungs in?

Last edited:
I just went out for a look to see how difficult fitting the new number plate will be and have fallen at the first hurdle because I am being cautious...

I can only see two screws in the old plate so I'll need to drill two holes in the new one, and presumably use double sided tape lower down on the plate (otherwise I imagine it would vibrate).

Are those screws self-tapping screws, or do I have to remove the trim on the inside of the boot lid to access the other side?

Either way, would they be re-usable?

I didn't want to go ahead and just remove them to see just in case something dropped off the back of them which I then couldn't retrieve easily!

EDIT: and wouldn't sticky pads be easier?

2nd edit: And presumably I can just take off the black bar and not do anything with the screw holes, or do I need to out some bungs in?
Hi Smokie, The two screws are tapped holes, so you dont need to take of any of the inside trim, To attach my new "smaller" plate, I used the double sided tape supplied with it, and centered it using the black bar as a guide, covering the screw holes and making it a lot neater.

Thanks. I bought the taller plate described by @jgpev above so that I could lose the black bar. The plate will be slightly offset to avoid the MG badge, which I don't want to remove.

Tape seems the easier option, and I can get enough for one plate for not much money on eBay.

With these thoughts and information, I then requested the following plate information when ordering from Pro Plates (proplates.co.uk) :
  • EV Green flash
  • UK Union Flag on Green EV Flash
  • UK Country Code Identifier on Green EV flash
  • Front Plate size: 520mm x 111mm (standard)
  • Rear Plate size: 520mm x 152mm (TALLER height, standard length)
Total cost from Pro Plates for set of both front and rear (including the custom requests for size and flag/country) came out to £25.99 with free shipping.
I quite disliked the black bar below the rear plate so following @jgpev's lead, I ordered only the rear plate from the same company, as per his spec above (i.e. deeper than a normal plate), except I included a red border with the car model, I just got round to fitting it and this is how it looks. I realise it's probably illegal as it's supposed to have teh suppliers name in. I didn't de-spec that, they just didn't include it!

I took off the old one and the black bar, which I've left in the boot in case the new one falls off (unlikely, but it's only on with number plate sticky tape stuff)

I'm quite pleased with it

1649684807140.jpg

Last edited:
I drove for many years on a plate without supplier details and never had an issue (including at MOT time). The plate was fully legal in terms of font and spacing.

I drove for many years on a plate without supplier details and never had an issue (including at MOT time). The plate was fully legal in terms of font and spacing.
Yep, laws change all the time. Depending on when your plates were made, they will need to meet different requirements.

Hi, Can I ask where you bought the 100% electric sign from, and what did it cost? thank you.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Yep, laws change all the time. Depending on when your plates were made, they will need to meet different requirements.
The plates definitely weren't legal but if the number, font and spacing are all correct, nobody is bothered about trivial details like the maker's contact information. I just wanted a clean plate (meaning just the reg number itself and nothing else).

My MG dealer did something I've not seen elsewhere. They've put the black bar at the top, where it seems less noticeable, and is hidden by the overhang when you're up close. Then to not overlap the MG5 badge, they've offset the plate to center the yellow portion of the plate. It wouldn't work without the green flash present. Normally an offset would really bug me, but I can cope with this. Maybe it would be better if the dealer details were also offset.
Screenshot 2022-04-13 at 18.41.45.png

The holes in the boot lid for the black bar and the number plate are tapped for machine screws and sit a couple of millimetres above the surface. I left the black bar in place and applied a sticker I had made up. The sticker cost £3.49 for two. Then a couple of coats of laquer.
6A386A82-43D3-4F93-AEE7-037807A4089C.jpeg

I'll try to remember to look tomorrow - I've already managed to forget to do it all day today so don't hold your breath!!

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom