My Solution for Rear Number Plate on MG5

These

Attachments

• FE2E7882-81C3-44D0-B85A-FFEE7BEE0CF5.jpeg
    FE2E7882-81C3-44D0-B85A-FFEE7BEE0CF5.jpeg
    248.7 KB · Views: 317
@JonLovejoy Thanks for the eBay link... I've just ordered mine... Black car so we'll see how it looks...

@JonLovejoy
This is what the '100% electric' looks like on a black car...

Attachments

• 100_Electric.png
    100_Electric.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 269
Last edited:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Looks good, although I was referring to the size you were asking about. :)
You just need some nice white caps for those now to hide the slot.

I will look into doing this and getting some blue caps and hopefully they will match okayish.

For the sake of a tenner or so I'm quite pleased with the solution I copied above, with the larger number plate. Wasn't hard to do.

I like this solution, nice and simple.
Did you need to access the rear of the plate to remove the strip and put the new bolts in and secure with a nut or did you just unscrew and put bolt in.
I have found these that may suit mine.

1651134946121.png

I guess it's down to whatever the dealer uses as it's them that adds the black bar. :)

Hi
I just de badged the mg5 sw ev
and fitted a chrome number plate surround on standard plates
😃👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻
Hi All

So I've just 'sorted' my rear number plate... Did the same as 'Ian MG5' but with a slight twist.... I removed the MG5 badge and just moved it ever so slightly to the right so it didn't foul the number plate (You know the thing that has annoyed me... I did not touch the 'SW' and 'EV' badges, but look closely at them... they are crooked... never noticed it before but now it will annoy me!!!). Also stuck the original plastic screws back in at the top to fill the holes in the number plate as I'm too tight to buy a new one, and yes, I drilled 2 holes in the body work to screw it in the new position... but I did treat them and honestly if the old tin worm gets in there then I wish him well as it is very thin so he'll soon get hungry!!! LOL :)

Anyway, seriously I'm quite pleased with it, deffo think it looks better than that odd black bar!

Charles

Attachments

• Rear.jpg
    Rear.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 201
Following on from jgpev's solution I ordered a 520mm x 140mm rear plate from Proplates.
It would have fouled the badges quite badly, so I trimmed 6mm from the right hand side and re-radiused the corners (a 5p piece matched the existing for marking up). I've since replaced the bolts with yellow ones (and washed the car!!), but the result is below:
photo_2022-06-07_16-18-31.jpg

I used the same method (wider number plate) from the same supplier (see my pic on page 2 of this thread). I only bought the rear but I had a border and some words on it. I think it was about £12 or £13.

I didn't bother reducing the size of the plate so it isn't quite central but I don't think that's too noticeable.

When it was held on only by tape it fell off, so I drilled holes for just the two original screws and put some tape along the lower edge to prevent vibrations/knocking.

I don't believe the oversize is illegal but they are supposed to have the suppliers name on them.

@Jomarkh - the plate was £13.99, it meets all the new regs which came in last September and is fully road legal. On my plate the first character is 18mm from the green stripe, I would suggest asking them to start 12mm from the stripe - they are really helpful in the online chat - this will allow you to trim about 10mm from the right-hand side.

Attachments

• photo_2022-06-21_07-59-34.jpg
    photo_2022-06-21_07-59-34.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 157
I like this solution, nice and simple.
Did you need to access the rear of the plate to remove the strip and put the new bolts in and secure with a nut or did you just unscrew and put bolt in.
I have found these that may suit mine.

View attachment 8144
My quick and simple and cheap solution as described above. The blue bolts aren't a perfect match for the colour but from a distance is not noticeable and main point is ugly afterthought black bar is gone.
Apologies car is in need of a wash but weather has been too nice and too sunny to wash it since returning from break away. (that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it).

car rear.jpg

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom