• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

New MG4 Shipment?

Just a thought, I have the car Registration shared by the dealer for a car in Country for delivery during late Feb (apparently), but what if it is not with the dealer before March 01st, is the car automatically changed to a 23 plate? Or is that 72 Registration fixed now?

Just a thought, I have the car Registration shared by the dealer for a car in Country for delivery during late Feb (apparently), but what if it is not with the dealer before March 01st, is the car automatically changed to a 23 plate? Or is that 72 Registration fixed now?
I think you'll find it's fixed but ask your dealer but it sounds like the dealer has pre-registered it to meet their sales targets.
If it doesn't arrive before March 1st I'd ask for free mats and a couple of years free servicing.

Dealers get a batch of numbers from dvla and allocate these to cars only when they are registered at dvla. It’s quite common for a dealer to let you choose from a batch of reg numbers - none of which are registered to a car yet. They normally register the car at dvla after payment and collection.
The key here is - is the car registered at dvla? I would doubt it. If it is registered at dvla in your name then you will get the V5 in a few days - before you have the car!
If it is pre-registered it will be in the dealers name so you will be the 2nd keeper - I doubt this too unless you’ve agreed this.
If you want to hang on and have the new plate then tell the dealer this. The dealer should not register your car with dvla until very near to collection and payment confirmation unless you have agreed alternatives arrangements with them.

Dealers get a batch of numbers from dvla and allocate these to cars only when they are registered at dvla. It’s quite common for a dealer to let you choose from a batch of reg numbers - none of which are registered to a car yet. They normally register the car at dvla after payment and collection.
The key here is - is the car registered at dvla? I would doubt it. If it is registered at dvla in your name then you will get the V5 in a few days - before you have the car!
If it is pre-registered it will be in the dealers name so you will be the 2nd keeper - I doubt this too unless you’ve agreed this.
If you want to hang on and have the new plate then tell the dealer this. The dealer should not register your car with dvla until very near to collection and payment confirmation unless you have agreed alternatives arrangements with them.
Thank you so much for this insight, I have reached out to the dealer to get some clarity snd express my preference

Thank you so much for this insight, I have reached out to the dealer to get some clarity snd express my preference
No problem. My pleasure. I hope that you get your new car soon and post some pics!

I feel after reading these forum pages that I’ve been given the runaround. We ordered our SE LR in early September, no updates. Still no update as of this morning but told it could be late February. I asked our dealer if we would get 23 plates if it went into March, they’ve said because they’re anticipating delivery late February (but still have “no updates” on their system so they can’t actually confirm that), it wouldn’t be possible. I asked that, if it arrived late February, could they hold it until March to get the new plates, they’ve said no because it’s “outside their control and nothing they can do about it”

Reading these forums, that sounds like a load of b******?

The dealer will have target quotas to hit based on date of registration for new cars .
Jan and feb are generally slow. Customers hang on for new reg plate too. If they can register in feb instead of march it may help their quotas.
There is also manufacturer CO targets that put pressure on them to register a proportion of their vehicles as electric over a certain period.
Manufacturers apply some of this pressure to the dealerships. There are huge penalties if they get it wrong.
At the moment they can’t even tell you when your car will be delivered. Many customers will delay registration in feb to get the new reg plate - I have done this too.
As an example my most recent car got to the dealer in mid-dec, but I wanted a 2022 registered car so they held it until January when it was registered to me and collected.
I would suggest that it is very much ’in their control’, even though they may be under pressure from MG to hit targets.
You’re paying a lot of money for your new car. As long as the wait/delay in collection for the new plate is a reasonable time, it’s perfectly acceptable to say that this is what you want.
A good dealer will not mind hanging on for the new plate as long as it not too long a period.

Dealers keep lobbying the DoT to change the plate change date due to a perceived lull in sales.
  • When year letters were added in 1963, they were just that, changing on Jan 1st.
  • Only 5 years later, the date was changed to Aug 1st to combat a summer lull. E ran Jan 1 to Jul 31
  • In 1999, the duration of a year letter was shortened from 12 to 6 months, changing on Aug 1 & Mar 1.
  • In 2001, the plate format was changed to what we have now, but the August date was pushed back to Sep 1

Dealers will also use the new reg plate as a sales incentive - get your new ‘23’ plate etc etc. they can’t have it both ways.

I just had confirmation that:
They no longer have the facility whereby customers choose a registration out of a selection.
My vehicle is not yet registered with the DVLA, and won't be until in stock at the dealer.
The dealer will not be registered as the first owner, I will be.
If for any reason delivery goes beyond 01st March then a new 23 registration will be assigned.

Having spoken to the dealer, North Bristol MG, who are very good, instead of waiting for months for the white SE SR which I had previously ordered, they had a Camden Grey MG4 that had become available. And so I have bought that instead.
So no waiting for ages and I collect it on 31st January. Really pleased and we like the colour even more.
So cross fingers that it will be reasonably trouble free.

I have found that if you are flexible on colour and dealer location, cars can be obtained quite quickly. I was offered a new orange trophy last month with immediate delivery as well as other colours. The orange seems now to have longer lead times.

Just cancelled my SE LR in white, ordered through Gallaghers, Sandycroft, was told they would sell easily as lots of people waiting. It was supposed to be due late April.

Having spoken to the dealer, North Bristol MG, who are very good, instead of waiting for months for the white SE SR which I had previously ordered, they had a Camden Grey MG4 that had become available. And so I have bought that instead.
So no waiting for ages and I collect it on 31st January. Really pleased and we like the colour even more.
So cross fingers that it will be reasonably trouble free.
I had a ZS SE LR on order from them. Told could not honour deal, so ask them if they had anything else told me nothing available would be 12 to 18 weeks. However Eden Swindon had a Camden grey trophy LR which I am getting on Monday.

I had a ZS SE LR on order from them. Told could not honour deal, so ask them if they had anything else told me nothing available would be 12 to 18 weeks. However Eden Swindon had a Camden grey trophy LR which I am getting on Monday.
Those are the current delivery timescales from MG. Was 12 weeks then 16/18. The first time they know that a car is being delivered is when it is loaded onto the ship.
I was just lucky to be in the right place at the right time. A rarity for me. And that dealership is very busy.
But really pleased to hear that you are collecting your new car on Monday and Camden Grey looks stunning. Same as mine.

I started to have second thoughts due to the increased number of issues owners are having. New car faults will always occur but I wasnt happy to continue with the purchase, I will get my deposit back in due course, not planning to get an alternative and will continue to enjoy my EV6.

The number of issues isn't increasing, in fact it is slowing down as there have been few new notable ones. The number of people with MG4s is dramatically growing, that's why you see more reports.
You are correct it's more reports of the same issues

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 423 79.8%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 70 13.2%
  • No

Votes: 37 7.0%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel