Positive Vibes for the MG4

I testdrove the 51 kWh MG4, and remember the turning circle as very narrow. I don't think it is as small on my Xpower, probably because of the front driveshafts. Anyone know the turning circle of Xpower? The RWD ones supposedly have 10,6 m.

I have another good thing about the MG4 today. I drove my Xpower in -22 degrees C today, and it was still very good heat in the cabin, so the heat pump still produce good heat in this temperature, and was surely adequate. But I noticed that if I turned the AC button off on the main screen, the heat was gone. So it looks like the AC button will control the heat pump entirely. Really no reason to ever turn it off in any temperature then. The MG4 heat pump cars do not have any PTC heater in addition?
-22?! Wow....

Hi Adiel,
You mentioned that your foot rest failed on you well this happened to mine after just 800 miles of owning mine and it has been nearly 2 months now with still no reply from MG if this is covered under their warranty or not? I've even started a separate post about failing foot rests as it appears I am not alone :rolleyes:
As a matter of interest what did your local dealer say when you told them the foot rest had broken.
My local dealer basically told me that they have not heard this ever happening before but clearly something is going wrong somewhere... It starts with a squeak and then BOSH!!! - The beautiful foot rest is no longer :)
Hi Simon, they did a temporary repair, which seems to be as good as new, whilst they ordered the parts, which interestingly they said are on back order. Perhaps an indication of a recurring issue?

Ours has been perfect over the last 28 thousand miles. Itā€™s not missed a beat or caused one single issue. Looks great, charges fast and has been very comfortable. We sold our 5 series after fuel prices increased and really donā€™t miss it. Or the smell of fuel. Service costs are very reasonable. Would recommend the MG4 to anyone. We have a 72 plate Trophy in Black

Iā€™m glad you posted this. Iā€™m still thinking seriously about an MG4 Trophy, but over the last week there does seem to have been a lot of ā€œissuesā€ being described. Some minor niggles and annoyances but others more serious. I am starting to think about looking elsewhere, as I would like my first EV to be a positive experience.
I came here after I bought my Excite 51 (SE SR I think) and I was overwhelmed by the "niggly" annoyances. I'm still and I have to admit I was over reacting a little. Since the first "shock" when I realized the car has a "selective memory" I learned to live with it. I'm not saying I'm over it, and I still lose my temper every now and then, because of this, but since the beginning of my EV journey I went to test drive other EVs, specifically focussed on the issues I had and I can tell MG4 isn't bad on the current market. Also the software update what I requested from my dealer made a huge difference. Now, I can say I have no regrets, and I'm completely sure for this kind of money I could not make a better choice. I'm not saying I'm not looking other EVs with a bit of envy, but all of them about 25-30% more expensive and I barely can afford this one (OK it's not completely true, but I'm not willing to pay more). So back to your concern, MG4 has grown on the market and I think it is worth what they asking for it.

Weā€™ve had our mg4 trophy (my22) for just over twelve months - it is the most enjoyable car Iā€™ve ever had.

I like it so much that when an opportunity came up for me to get an xpower on salary sacrifice with work, I jumped at the chance. Our second mg4 was delivered just before Christmas.

The xpower is easily as good as the trophyā€¦but better šŸ˜‰

View attachment 22632
Its so good the normally secretive CIA operatives in Stoke have chosen it for their undercover activities! :D

Its been exactly a year to the day (well yesterday) since I placed my order after taking a test drive. I got my MG4 Trophy in March 2023 and I love it!

In 2022 I was shelling out Ā£90 to Ā£100 for a tank of diesel for my Merc GLA 220D and I said enough was enough, I want to go electric but they are all so expensive! All I want is a decent spec family sized car that runs on electric has over 250miles range under Ā£35K. Then the MG4 lands with its game changing price, but I held my excitement until I watched some reviews on YouTube. Every single one I watched was glowing saying how well it was built and how fun to drive it was, and the test drive I took also proved that.

Now a year later and having completed 10 months of varied usage I can say that I am so glad I went ahead and bought it. I have done several round trips from Belfast to Dublin airport on a single charge! People have been amazed at that. Also at Christmas I always have to do a lot of taxiing of family away from home (and my beloved hypervolt charger) so I wasnt sure I would have enough for 4 days of taking family members and presents to deliver to friends and visit other family up to 40 miles away but I got back home with 18% battery left! Amazing! My family all found it very roomy and my Dad enjoyed the heated passenger seat on a chilly boxing day drive to the coast.

I always drive it with a smile on my face, and I've seen quite a few MG4's round Belfast, in fact my neighbour in the next street over has exactly the same spec and colour :) havent had the nerve to go and ask him what he thinks :LOL:

Its been exactly a year to the day (well yesterday) since I placed my order after taking a test drive. I got my MG4 Trophy in March 2023 and I love it!

In 2022 I was shelling out Ā£90 to Ā£100 for a tank of diesel for my Merc GLA 220D and I said enough was enough, I want to go electric but they are all so expensive! All I want is a decent spec family sized car that runs on electric has over 250miles range under Ā£35K. Then the MG4 lands with its game changing price, but I held my excitement until I watched some reviews on YouTube. Every single one I watched was glowing saying how well it was built and how fun to drive it was, and the test drive I took also proved that.

Now a year later and having completed 10 months of varied usage I can say that I am so glad I went ahead and bought it. I have done several round trips from Belfast to Dublin airport on a single charge! People have been amazed at that. Also at Christmas I always have to do a lot of taxiing of family away from home (and my beloved hypervolt charger) so I wasnt sure I would have enough for 4 days of taking family members and presents to deliver to friends and visit other family up to 40 miles away but I got back home with 18% battery left! Amazing! My family all found it very roomy and my Dad enjoyed the heated passenger seat on a chilly boxing day drive to the coast.

I always drive it with a smile on my face, and I've seen quite a few MG4's round Belfast, in fact my neighbour in the next street over has exactly the same spec and colour :) havent had the nerve to go and ask him what he thinks :LOL:
What a great post. And it pretty much mirrors my feelings although I have not done anything like as many miles.
But after a year now, I still love my MG4. Especially the drive which is so very smooth and quiet and easy to drive. My wife initially felt it was a bit big, after the Fiesta and she said she would never get used to driving it and missed the Fiesta. Now she jumps in and never mentions the previous car and probably drives it more than me.
It is due for its first service next week, how time flies when you are having fun.

I've had my MY23 Luxury (Trophy for UK) for a week now and absolutely love driving it. Finland was hit with cold weather on the week I got it and it performed amazingly in -30Ā°C weather. Had to turn the heat to 23-25Ā°C for an extended driving session as the window radiated the cold to my hands, but putting the AC a bit higher from 22Ā°C fixed that. The Heatpump works really well imo.

No issues so far, except the driver side mirror didn't want to fold when I first got the car and had the car outside for more than 20-30mins, but that seems to have fixed itself after a day or two and now, even in the -23-30Ā°C temps it has no issues closing. Maybe it just needed to lubricate itself, who knows.

Charging works well, always get good speeds both on DC and 22kW slow charging that I have tried.

All I can say is that I love the car and hopefully my experience is trouble free for the foreseeable future as well.

[ Edited moderator: 22kWh ā†’ 22kW ]

Last edited by a moderator:
Good to hear!
Question though: you write 22kW AC charging. Does your car have a 22kW charger?

Good to hear!
Question though: you write 22kw AC charging. Does your car have a 22kw charger?
It is the Finnish spec so it has three phase charging, I get around 9.0-9.8kW from a public 22kW charger.

The apartment building I live has not yet installed chargers (hopefully coming later this year) so I have exclusively used public chargers.

IMG_0844.jpeg
Just love the car and free fuel when I shop

What I like is
1. Quiet to drive.
2. Great handling.
3. Minimal cost to run with home charger and solar power.
4. Never have to go to petrol station.
5. Servicing at 24 month intervals
6. It only takes 30 seconds when I start up to turn off LKA, speed sign recognition, and front collision assist.
7. Speed limiting so I donā€™t speed by accident.

What I like is
1. Quiet to drive.
2. Great handling.
3. Minimal cost to run with home charger and solar power.
4. Never have to go to petrol station.
5. Servicing at 24 month intervals
6. It only takes 30 seconds when I start up to turn off LKA, speed sign recognition, and front collision assist.
7. Speed limiting so I donā€™t speed by accident.

Just make sure you get a "service" at 12 months to keep you 7 year warranty intact and another 12 months of Breakdown cover included.

I've have a service plan for my car and the first service is just Ā£95.

Bit steep for what is essentially a checkover and possibly the pollen filter, but it is a requirement of the warranty.

Just make sure you get a "service" at 12 months to keep you 7 year warranty intact and another 12 months of Breakdown cover included.

I've have a service plan for my car and the first service is just Ā£95.

Bit steep for what is essentially a checkover and possibly the pollen filter, but it is a requirement of the warranty.
My service interval is 40,000 km or 24months as instructed by the MG dealer.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 503 79.5%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back