Positive Vibes for the MG4

The odd thing is that MG UK's own website suggests - in a table - that servicing is required every two years, although it also says most cars are recommended to be serviced annually.

But as you say, to get the roadside assistance refresher for free for another year you need annual servicing.

Just checked the service plan I took out at MG when taking delivery of my XPower in late October 2023. I have indeed signed up for annual checks: 2024, 2025 and 2026. The cost, if anyone is interested, was £386.72 upfront. The sales guy told me at the time it was a pretty good deal and seemed sincere, not that I compared the market.

I have always thought that two years servicing is too long.
I'm very conscientious and interested in my vehicle, and am always checking and inspecting it. (Ex mechanic)

I would hope to pick up an issue long before it became a problem.

A car going on a ramp to be looked at every two years is too big a gap IMO, regardless of the actual "service" side of things.

As you say the price we're paying for the service, roadside recovery and the peace of mind that comes with that is very reasonable.

It’s a lot to do with km traveled, if you hit 40k in under 2years it gets inspected if not then low k cars get serviced in 2years remember no oil or filters belts AP grease nipples , so wheel bearings and drive shafts can do better than 40,000k
even brake pads will do better than ice vehicles. Me to ex mechanic for
NSW gov as vehicle inspector . Not sure when u need mot in uk but NSW is 3years from new.

If I remember well, they do take weather conditions into consideration.
In fact, maintenance is performed in two sets per 24 months (a and b). A starts one year after delivery, the other after two years. End effect is each year or every 24k.
Difference between A and B? With and without airco filter...

If u look at Tesla ev service recommendations for veh in Australia appears to be no need for service? Air con filter 4years they say we built a car that doesn’t need services so maybe MGs are over serviced or it’s a cash grab Lol🤪🤪

The odd thing is that MG UK's own website suggests - in a table - that servicing is required every two years, although it also says most cars are recommended to be serviced annually.

But as you say, to get the roadside assistance refresher for free for another year you need annual servicing.

Just checked the service plan I took out at MG when taking delivery of my XPower in late October 2023. I have indeed signed up for annual checks: 2024, 2025 and 2026. The cost, if anyone is interested, was £386.72 upfront. The sales guy told me at the time it was a pretty good deal and seemed sincere, not that I compared the market.
Mine was £399 upfront for 3 years servicing plus first MOT. (First service was carried out at the end of Nov '23).

There are some cracking driving roads round here, just needed some paving slabs and cement from our local Leroy Merlin ( 25 km) , should I take the van or the MG ? Well lets say that 125 kg of stuff in the boot does not upset it that much. 50/50 weight distribution is out the window, and the rear suspension complains a little bit on the bends ( slightly graunchy ) but still bobs along very nicely. The outward bound trip was of course brilliant and a bit faster than the return leg on bendy , uphill and down dale roads , returned 5.5 km/kWh at 11 cents a kWh , used around 12kWh with A/C on, the van would have used over a gallon of diesel. Tesla Cybertruck pah!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes I understand what you’re saying, but what parts would you need.
One example: the 18 inch rims come with some poor quality control which leads to vibration and rumbling in the car. 17 inch were promised as a replacement. It is now over 40 days, still no rims.
There are other examples with MG. Maybe to comfort ourselves: Kia and Hyundai share these issues.

I know where you're coming from.

I had my test drive in a Trophy but was never enamoured with the Trophy trim. I didn't care about fake-leather seats or a built-in satnav or whatever. I also didn't need the LR range most of the time, and I liked the idea of the LFP battery. (Also, the dealer finally fessed up that he had a blue SE SR in stock and I could have it in only a few days.) I did also think that if the whole idea was going to go pear-shaped and the car turned out to be a turkey (given the price) then it was less to lose!

I knew the X-Power was on the way, but there wasn't a date or a price. I thought it would come in at over £40,000 and I didn't really want to pay that much for a car. Or at least, I could tell myself that when the car didn't exist yet, anyway. I also wasn't prepared to trust that the car would appear before the MOT on my Golf ran out, and also I didn't want to go on driving a beat-up write-off all summer. I also had reservations about being MG's beta-tester for a new model.

If you'd told me then what the price would be, and that I could have one by the autumn, would I have gone for it? Very possibly. But now, I'm genuinely fond of my SE SR and have no reason to want to change it other than, gosh, doesn't Bricktop's car look great, and I think he said it was quite fast...
In March, you'll be able to not buy the Cyberster instead. ;)

My dealer told me the service plan wasnt worth it as the servicing costs were relatively low, but I'll be sure to take it every year to get the roadside service renewed (plus software updates!) and I'm guessing the warranty is only valid if its serviced annually at an official MG dealership.

My dealer told me the service plan wasnt worth it as the servicing costs were relatively low, but I'll be sure to take it every year to get the roadside service renewed (plus software updates!) and I'm guessing the warranty is only valid if its serviced annually at an official MG dealership.
You can have it serviced anywhere, but they must use genuine MG parts. Personally I would definitely go to MG. A lot simpler. 🙂👍

On the original thread question of good things about the car. Done 2000 miles in my Xpower:
  • Overall just a great car compared to any car ICE or EV
  • Unbeatable performance per £
  • Comfortable and refined compared to most alternatives (how do Kia & BYD owners put up with whining?)
  • Just the right external size, for me
  • Tech is comprehensive and works well enough. Always leave LKA on, often use TJA. Often access the app to preheat or open the car (when keys not on me).
  • Great to have instant heat in this cold weather - seat heater, steering wheel heater and plenty of hot air,
  • So cheap to run - £5 to london and back (195 mile trip)
  • Gives me cheap electricity for the rest of the house at 1/4 the normal price (7.5p/kwh instead of 30p/kwh) for often nearly 11hr/day (lots of extra charge slots up to 11am)
  • Handles well
  • Effortless and safe to pull out quickly or overtake.
  • It’s fun or relaxing depending on your mood.

On the original thread question of good things about the car. Done 2000 miles in my Xpower:
  • Gives me cheap electricity for the rest of the house at 1/4 the normal price (7.5p/kwh instead of 30p/kwh) for often nearly 11hr/day (lots of extra charge slots up to 11am)
You mean that you take back power from the battery to the house? Using what ? VTL?
The other thing I do not understand is the 1/4 of the price. Where do you get a kwh at 7.5p?

You mean that you take back power from the battery to the house? Using what ? VTL?
The other thing I do not understand is the 1/4 of the price. Where do you get a kwh at 7.5p?
It may be a reference to Intelligent Octopus Go which offers 6hrs a night at 7.5p/kWh plus additional charging slots for the car (scheduled and chosen by Octopus) throughout the day which also involve all electricity usage at 7.5p/kWh for the duration of those slots.

It may be a reference to Intelligent Octopus Go which offers 6hrs a night at 7.5p/kWh plus additional charging slots for the car (scheduled and chosen by Octopus) throughout the day which also involve all electricity usage at 7.5p/kWh for the duration of those slots.
Thanks. That makes sense..

Agreed. And is a benefit any EV provides, not just the MG4. :)

On a positive note, I feel better and better with my MG4 Luxury/Trophy in winter, the anti-spin and anti-skid system is very good. With good (top 2) studded tires on 16" rims, it is very good to drive in varying winter conditions, it's almost like I would say the worse the winter conditions, the better it is.

For Vignut:
16 inch. Did you put them on yourself? Or was the car delivered with 16 inch?

Last edited by a moderator:

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 509 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel