Rear window, no wiper

Anything they can eliminate cuts costs. So no rear wiper, grab handles, rear passenger lights, front parking sensors, etc... To make electric cars affordable something has to give. Tesla have removed a ton of stuff including front radar, parking sensors all round, passenger lumbar support.

Why does the MG4 not have a rear wiper??

The MG4 in SE guise has impressive aerodynamics over the rear hatch with the flow remaining attached until the small ducktail spoiler at the back of the ledge at the bottom of the rear window. A similar effect exists on the Tesla M3. The effect of this will be significant in comparison to the iD3 where VW have chosen to fit a large spoiler at the back of the roof with associated side covers hence detaching the air flow over a much larger area with associated drag.
For both the MG4 SE and the Tesla M3 fitting a wiper would cause significant drag.

Sadly fashion dictates that the Trophy has a roof spoiler with associated drag causing a reduction in range. The design involved is interesting being split resulting in still no room for a wiper to be hidden from the airflow.

Why does the MG4 not have a rear wiper??

On my previous MG6 (Diesel) there was no rear wiper. When I asked the dealer about this I was told the reason was that with a wiper fitted, testing showed that additional drag was created and this would lower its overall efficiency to the extent that it would no longer be in its (relatively) low taxation class. (Annual road tax for it was, and still is £30.)

I have no idea whether that is actually true, but if it is surely that cannot be the reason for the MG4 EV not having one? Hence my original question.

I'm just curious; I have no thoughts of buying an MG4, I'm entirely happy with my MG5!
That I can believe on the MG6, that bit of drag be cause by the rear wiper probably could have push the car into a higher tax bracket, has it might well have increased the CO2 levels up 1-2% so by keeping them levels down so the car fell into a much cheaper road tax slot would have been a great selling point back in the day, keeping the engine working a little bit less hard to keep the same testing speed, due to less drag, gives reductions of CO2 coming out the exhaust.

Now we know for sure that the MG4 Trophy is not quite as fast from 0-62 than the SE model and that as been attributed to the rear spoiler on the trophy down to more drag but it doesn’t matter on the MG4 because it’s an full EV so it as nothing to do with CO2 levels in this case and they could have fired a rear wasp wipe system as the all the other models in the latest MG line up now it’s about cost as correctly point out by but tsedge #21.and aerodynamics as bugeye has said

Maybe just Maybe, if enough of us complain about not having a rear wiper on the 4 MG might do a recall and fit one for us LOL.

Now whose got some spare time to start a petition
Les.

That I can believe on the MG6, that bit of drag be cause by the rear wiper probably could have push the car into a higher tax bracket, has it might well have increased the CO2 levels up 1-2% so by keeping them levels down so the car fell into a much cheaper road tax slot would have been a great selling point back in the day, keeping the engine working a little bit less hard to keep the same testing speed, due to less drag, gives reductions of CO2 coming out the exhaust.
Yes, that's what I was told when I bought the MG6.

Anything they can eliminate cuts costs. So no rear wiper, grab handles, rear passenger lights, front parking sensors, etc... To make electric cars affordable something has to give. Tesla have removed a ton of stuff including front radar, parking sensors all round, passenger lumbar support.
I remember some cars in the eighties only came with 1 side mirror, no mirror on the passenger side ???

Sooo I’ve just collected my MG4 and to my suprise, it has a rear wiper!!!!!
Sounds like you have a very latest build. If you wouldn't mind, would you take a photo to upload here of the rear under tray of your car. I believe they have a modified tray. This would help with dip / warping issues some us have.

On the latest spec sheets it says rain sensing wipers,rear wiper and one pedal driving ??
Do you have a link? Not seeing these mentioned on the MG site or in the updated brochure.
I haven't seen anyone mention rain sensing wipers in the new model?

When I got my MG4 I commented on the lack of rain sensors, which I'd had in my previous two cars going back to 1998. Several people came in to persuade me that the MG4 system with the variable intemittent rate is actually better because the rain sensors aren't always all that reliable. I was genuinely persuaded, and now I've got used to the fact that I have to remember to turn them on and not wait for them to come on by themselves, I really like them.

Don't spoil it, MG!

280CA4E5-BE98-4A54-87B3-4DFF897BA090.jpeg

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 543 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums